Droid w/2.2 Froyo vs. Incredible w/2.1

elanmel

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to get a new phone (I've had an HTC Titan with Sprint for 3 years)--trying to decide between a Droid ($0 at Wirefly) vs. the Incredible ($200, not available until July). Free is a good price for a phone that was so popular just 6 months ago...

With the Beta 2.2 Froyo available for the Droid, I'm wondering how much worse the performance will be than the Incredible is now. How long before the Incredible is likely to get a 2.2 update? Is the bigger screen and slideout keyboard on the Droid an advantage at all?

asdr24

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I would hold out for the Motorola Droid X. It is expected to launch July 19th. If I had to choose between the INC or Droid I would probably go with the Droid only because of the price.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
rumor has it that there will be a new Droid coming out in the next week or 2. if you are a person who has patience, i would wait. i am not one for patience which is not good:p so i dont know if i would be able to wait. though personally i am not a fan of HTC devices. they look really nice and the newer ones are really fast out of the box but their device quality is lacking. look at all the reports of Incredible's screen having some issues or if you play music and place it on something metal, it will start going nuts. just some food for thought

elanmel

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I am going to wait and see about the Droid X--I have fat fingers and the big screen sounds perfect. Any idea whether Froyo/2.2 will be available same as on the Droid? My contract with Sprint runs out on 7/12, and I would hate to pay for another month with the Droid X coming out on 7/19...but will the phone really be available on 7/19??

Funny comments about the HTC. I am really rough with my stuff--half the buttons on my HTC don't work, and I have reprogrammed them all so that I can open up what I need...

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
With the Beta 2.2 Froyo available for the Droid, I'm wondering how much worse the performance will be than the Incredible is now.
You might want to read the threads on Froyo and mods. My Droid with Bugless Beast 0.2.1 (and a 1.1GHz kernel) is very snappy. The Droid mod community is very active, if that matters to you.

Is the bigger screen and slideout keyboard on the Droid an advantage at all?
If you want them, yes. While I generally don't find the physical keyboard useful it's the only way I play games on NESoid and SNESoid (as well as Quake 2 & 3).

How long before the Incredible is likely to get a 2.2 update?
No telling (as with any update) but if you're one of those that's going to gripe about how long it takes for every update then you might want to avoid devices with a UI's like Sense or MotoBlur.

Last edited:

Lurch81#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
i would wait 2/3 weeks for droid x, or if you must pick between droid/inc i would definately go for droid seeing as how verizon is removing incredible its on there discontinue list which is crazy to me as its only a couple months old. but hold off for droid x screen looks amazing!