silence incoming calls

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
so far ive been unable to figure out how to silence incoming calls easily. on the storm all i had to do was hit the mute button on top and it would silence the ringer. is there any way to turn the unlock button on top into a ring silencer? or one of the volume keys? ive tried everything i can think of and cant figure it out. thanks for any help!

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
2 very simple ways to do it. On the swipe screen, instead of swiping the green lock icon left to right to unlock, swipe the little speaker icon right to left and that puts the phone on silence.

If the phone is unlocked, press the volume down button until it is completely silent. Press the volume up button once to put it in vibrate :D

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
the problem is more of when im at work and i have a customer in front of me. the phone stays in my pocket, locked. so in order to turn the ringer off real quick i dont want to have to take it out of my pocket and swipe the little icon. i need to be able to just hit either the top lock button or the volume button real quick to stop the ring! every phone ive had in the past has been able to do this by just hitting a button to silence the ring and i need the droid to be able to do this as well. thanks for the help though.

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
ok, i figured it out. every time i tried to do it i always hit the lock key on top first out of habit, but when it starts ringing all i have to do is hit the volume key on the side and it stops the ringer! thanks for the help doug!

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thank you thank you thank you tightchevelle. That was driving me nuts. Such a simple solution. I, as well, kept unlocking it first. I looked and looked for apps and BAM it was right there in my face. Thanks for sharing.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I think there's a setting to turn off notifications...which probably turns off the sound for them, too.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
oh well, the plot thickens. Pushing the volume down arrow only silences PHONE calls. That's a nice little trick. But, I wanna quickly stop the sound for email, sms, talk, etc. I wan to hear it ring. But, I want it to stop without having swipe or look at anything.

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
No problem, glad I could help a couple people out about the ringer. As far as the silencing of SMS,mms,email and so on, pick a short tone. My email is the "Droid" tone and my messaging is pixie so.methinks I think. Nice and short but yet I hear it very well!

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I'm tired of hearing this darn thing constantly making so much noise. I couldn't keep tack of all of the different tones - one for email from this account, one for that, a tone for texts, a tone for calls, a tone for my wife calling, a tone for her texting..... what a mess. I decided to just put it in vibrate.

The Droid is in my hand unless I'm sleeping or peeing. So, seriously, why have it ring at all.

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I have my alerts silenced for most things except calls and SMS, I have it on me most of the time too, the blinking light gives it away when there's something new on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez