Can not turn ON airplane mode rooted A855 Motorola Droid

ericoberg1

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a rooted A855 Motorola Droid with Android 2.2.3, Kernel version 2.6.32.9.. and build number RFK76.
Worked great for a 6 months WITHOUT the cell phone radio on. Wifi, bluetooth, GPS all working just fine. Started to add apps to use at work, and now I notice that I can not turn on airplane mode, and CELL STANDBY is sucking up all the battery life.
I use settings to turn ON airplane mode, exit the menu, then when I go back in, airplane mode is back to OFF.
Use the power button setting to turn on airplane mode, same thing, the cell radio stays on, sucking power.
Tried a few apps to turn on airplane mode, to no avail. Used to work, now does not. Is the device broken?

Hard reset, and re-running the ROOT process did not fix this problem. Any ideas as to how I can turn off the cell phone radio, or successfully turn ON airplane mode?

Thank you,
Eric O

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a rooted A855 Motorola Droid with Android 2.2.3, Kernel version 2.6.32.9.. and build number RFK76.
Worked great for a 6 months WITHOUT the cell phone radio on. Wifi, bluetooth, GPS all working just fine. Started to add apps to use at work, and now I notice that I can not turn on airplane mode, and CELL STANDBY is sucking up all the battery life.
I use settings to turn ON airplane mode, exit the menu, then when I go back in, airplane mode is back to OFF.
Use the power button setting to turn on airplane mode, same thing, the cell radio stays on, sucking power.
Tried a few apps to turn on airplane mode, to no avail. Used to work, now does not. Is the device broken?

Hard reset, and re-running the ROOT process did not fix this problem. Any ideas as to how I can turn off the cell phone radio, or successfully turn ON airplane mode?

Thank you,
Eric O
Welcome to the forums!

You can disable mobile data by going into the settings and disabling data. That will cut the data but leave you with cell phone service (phone calls/sms). Regarding Airplane mode not working, not sure what the problem is. A factory reset should fix that, but seems that it didn't in your case. Is there an app or service (other than root) that is installed which could be conflicting?