Contacts Not Showing Up (The Reason)

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I have noticed that my Droid is amending current contacts with new contacts being added if the names are similar. For example:
If you have three contacts named thus; David Miller, David, Dave it will combine the three instead of leaving them as separate entities.
Same with names like Jessica, Jess, Jessy. Occasionally, even if the contacts have different last names it will still combine them. Which is friggin unbelievably annoying!
Any suggestions?

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
that is annoying, haven't seen it myself. u can edit contact and use the menu options to split them out. still annoying but that should fix it

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
That happened with my phone as well. My grandmother goes by Betty, and an aunt who married into the family goes by Liz. I had to change my grandmother's first name to "Grandma" to keep my phone from combining them.

On the other hand, in a way it's sort of a neat feature. I'm impressed that it has a database of common nicknames. I just wish there were a switch or something to keep it from combining contacts in special occasions.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
You can't be serious! The database just assumes that you want to combine separate listings? That is blasphemy of the worst sort! I have separate listings in various lists, some of whom overlap, clients, family, friends, etc. which are used for mailings, etc. You can't combine them. I hope that when I roll mine over from Palm thru Companionlink into gmail, that does not happen or I will be screaming for someone.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Definitely doing it, though I'm seeing it happen to contacts with the same last night and slightly different first names.

carrots

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm part of a company that is switching over to moto droids, we have 6 or 8 at this point
We all had this issue
This is definitely true. I had 750 contact in gmail. on the droid it combined then down to a nice 340 give or take.
Some contacts had up to 7 numbers combined into a single contact. Its a genuine pain in the (you know where)!
Is seems that google disregards the company name when doing imports...not to say that it doesn't import the name...it is there...also merged with all the rest of the information.
What we have found to fix this issue...somewhat...if you edit the merged contact....and press menu...you get a "Separate" feature...that does separate the merged contacts.

But then you have 6 or 7 contact with the exact same name.
So it still requires some cleaning up on your part.
I'm truly disappointed in the contacts on the motorola droid. One of my biggest gripes

On another note. I used google sync on my old phone bb tour...and it work very well for company name imports

Last edited:

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Gotta just cross my fingers since I'll be keeping Palm Desktop and syncing thru Companionlink to Gmail...I don't have time for it to screw up this time of year!

carrots

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it makes a difference in how you sync...its a contact issue on the phone itself.
As ppl have stated above..even when creating new contacts on the phone..they will sometimes b merged.

carrots

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for killing my leetle bit of hope there, Corn!

sorry...but ppl need the heads up...hard to explain on my part but I know a lot of ppl with the same back name...i come from a huge family. So it really messed up thing for me.
Again..there is a Separate feature it does work...
Also some ppl might know this...it is possible to search by company names..even if there is no way to sort by them.
I have noticed that i can view by categories, and my categories did import.

Its under menu/display option/ and the email address that has your contacts.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
It happend when i first got my droid but I changed the names and the problem was fixed. It was pretty annoying but i thought it was just a mistake from when they transfered over my contacts and since it was only two ppl it wasnt a big deal.

douglaswilson

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I have a question about contacts as well. I have over three hundred in gmail but my phone says i only have 200. If i search for them they will appear long enough on my phone to call them or send them an email but they are not listed in my contacts. Do i have a setting wrong? Whats going on with this? Thanks.

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I have a question about contacts as well. I have over three hundred in gmail but my phone says i only have 200. If i search for them they will appear long enough on my phone to call them or send them an email but they are not listed in my contacts. Do i have a setting wrong? Whats going on with this? Thanks.

Have you gone through and checked each individual contact? What appears to be happening is that it takes similar names and groops them as one contact. If this is the case you need to seperate each one.

xwera43

Dec 20, 2009
www.myspace.com

I have seen screen shots of an automated process via gmail.com. I'm not sure if you have to export them, delete them & then re-import your contacts for this option to be displayed but it might be faster than doing it one at a time on your phone. I can also only assume your contacts will sync up properly with the newly made changes to your contacts via your gmail.com account.

Good luck! :cool:

~X