What would you do to a new droid?

jmechy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Just inherited a wiped droid. It's running rooted 2.2, and has very little going on right now except for the few apps I installed while messing around.

If you were to get a wiped, rooted droid, what would you do with it right off the bat? I'm considering going to Cyanogen, but apparently it won't be that big a difference if I'm already running 2.2. I'm totally new to android (coming from an old blackberry), so any advice on customization, apps, hacks, etc would be very much welcomed.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
They're all highly subjective topics. Unless your needs/wants happen to match mine I doubt that what I'd do (load Bugless, Touchdown and various other apps that I find useful) would be relevant to you. Read around, see if any of the custom ROM's sound interesting. See if there's a theme you like. Look into apps that are relevant and interesting to you.

Are you looking for specific types of apps/customizations/etc?

jmechy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not looking for many specifics right now, still trying to get used to the OS.

The one thing that is bugging me is the lack of push email like the blackberry had. I'm going to look into alternate email clients when I get more time, but from what I gather there won't be a way to do it quite as well.

Like I said, the device hasn't had many changes to it thus far aside from some installed apps and rooting. I was thinking that if I wanted to play with ROMs, now would be a good time to do it before I really start customizing the phone.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that is bugging me is the lack of push email like the blackberry had. I'm going to look into alternate email clients when I get more time, but from what I gather there won't be a way to do it quite as well.

GMail uses push on Android. If you have to have push, forward all your e-mail to GMail and use labels to differentiate where it all came from.

jmechy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I've actually installed K-9 and had good luck. In fact, on WiFi (the phone can't be activated until tomorrow, so I haven't tried via cell network) I am getting work emails faster via the Droid than the blackberry!

Now, if only Facebook could get push notifications working on android!

I think I've decided for now to avoid Cyanogen, I can't find a really compelling arguments to use it over stock froyo. Appbrain has been pretty awesome though, I've already installed countless apps.