2.3 and OG DROID

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
If there was an official release then I would assume it would not be an enjoyable one. Just look at how Froyo has affected the Droid. With the lack of memory the launcher has a slow refresh rate. If Gingerbread is even more taxing on the device then their will most likely be even more issues with gingerbread.

Your best bet (like Jerry stated) is to root and flash a custom rom that is built off of Gingerbread. Please do the research on rooting before you go through with it because there are +'s and -'s.

Also keep in mind that even if there are custom roms for the Droid that are based on Gingerbread they still might not be the smoothest version and you might want to go back to 2.2.

anon(47319)

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The prospects of the OG Droid getting 2.3 are pretty bleak. As much as I want to hold on to my OG Droid (This thing is a trooper!), I will most likely upgrade to the latest Verizon device that ships with 2.3. It's gonna be tough to give it up.

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I have recently moved to the root and rom route in the last month. I want to keep this phone going until LTE phones are out.

My phone is great now. Downloading CM6 6.1 Stable right now.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not jumping on the 2.3 bandwagon without an LTE phone(preferably stock android). Philly is one of the first LTE markets and why not get the best of both worlds?