the droid has been overclocked

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
AllDroid - View topic - Droid is stable at 800MHz. Nuff said
I have been running mine at 900 MHz sense last night its getting no hotter but its noticeable faster thank-you to Tasmanian Droid for this kernal :D
Update
I ran 900mhz for about 2 hours after posting this thread
Then flashed to the 1ghz kernal and my phone ran like it was made to run at that clock speed no reboots no forced closes but this phone is a speed demean at that clock I can't wait for them to get more CPU freqs

Last edited:

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
How is it installed? i downloaded the 800mhz one and all i see is a .img file..wtf?

EDIT: ah.. nandroid.. does nandroid flash it and reset the droid back to factory defaults?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
No change for me I have it set at 900 MHz while awake and 250 while asleep and to install you need root and adb shell

adb shell
su
/system/bin/flash_image boot /sdcard/evilboot1g.img

or /system/xbin/flash_image boot /sdcard/evilboot1g.img depending on where your flash_image is located
Tip 2 download the updated setcpu from the market or page 2

Last edited:

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
as long as you have it set to on-demand you should be fine and throttle down when not in use but I wouldn't use it excessively. Someone is bound to fry their droid.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
True that's why mine is set to vary between 900 and 125 while in use but screen off Max is 250 to conserve battery and give the CPU a break but I notice no extra heat plus with the HQ video hack the blocking is gone

Genesys

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Alrighty - a few questions if the forums don't mind...

I would like to OC my Droid, but am a little weary because of....

What, other than giving me the ability to access the system as a super user, does rooting my phone do? I.E. what other system variables are being modified when I flash to a new ROM?

When you root the phone, are you permanently accessing the system as a super user? Or, as in *nix, do I have specifically tell the system to execute a command as the super user?

After rooting the phone, would it not be possible for someone to come along and take control of the phone because it has been rooted - in a similar vein as what was happening to jailbroken iPhones a few months back.

After you root the phone, is it possible to flash the ROM back to the manufacturer's default?

The reason I ask is because, as much as I want to OC my phone, I'm not entirely sure I want to enable super user access without being able to protect my phone and my data from the less trustworthy elements of this ever increasingly connected world.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes go to alldroid and look for Tas's wifi kernal read and it will show you how to flash it as long as you have adb you'll be set

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
overclocking is cool but to me its more of an ego thing :) None of hte apps I'm using are slow, they are all pretty darn snappy. Maybe If i was using apps that were more cpu intesnive where i'd see big gains it could be worth it. I'm overclocking slightly at 600 but for now will stay here as I dont want to lose battery life from going any higher really.

AllGood

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
dont want to lose battery life from going any higher really.

Battery life will actually increase. You would use SetCPU to set the speeds and can decrees the standby speed from 250 to 125. Since the phone is usually in the mode it would use less battery.

I have used the 800,900 and 1ghz with 2.1 and they all cause stability issues.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
allgood - i can use setcpu to do scaling even without overclocking up to 800, so I get the battery saver improvement already, i just dont get the extra battery usage from when the phone is not in standby. Our setups are equivalent since i do the setcpu scaling for standby, but inactive mode you use more battery. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, its a compromise as is everythign in the world of computer science and technology :) I just am content with the performance, battery and my stability expectations are met running at 600. And dont get me wrong, im sure i'll try the new boot image soon enough just for kicks

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If you could help me with where to get adb?
download the android sdk to your desktop or were ever you can find it then go and install. by goin into the zip and loading the set up. choose a destination like this c:/users/username/androidsdk. once you've finished setup right click on computer then select properties, advanced system settings then in the popup window select environmental variables, go into the second window and select path once highlighted click click edit. put the path for your sdk in their it should look like this c:/users/yourusername/androidsdk or whatevery you named the folder/tools once done just click ok to back all the way out. now go to command prompt and type this in cd: /then the directory to your tools folder in your android sdk, if you get it correct it will show the new path to the left, now type in adb shell with your phone connected to your computer if all goes well it should start up the program and you have a shell.
side note insure on your phone click on develment in your settings

AllGood

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Can any one help the the IMG file to return it back to stock (just for the over clocking). My droid keeps crashing. THX

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
didn't you do a nandroid backup before making any changes? you shoudl never make a change without doing that first. if not, head over to sholes.info -> important files link. They have a virgin oem nandroid backup. download that, unzip it and copy the boot.img to your sdcard and flash that.