Help Running a shell script on startup

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm fairly new to Android and new to Linux in general, as I've been involved in primarily an all-Windows IT department for years. I've been tinkering with Linux recently and am learning, but still need some help.

I also have a need to VPN into work with my X, yet Android doesn't support IPSec with Cisco VPNs, so I have successfully rooted and installed VPN Connections. It works perfectly.

The only problem is that to use it, every time I reboot my phone, I have to console into my phone (using ConnectBot) and execute the below commands in order to load the tun module that VPN Connections needs to work properly:

su
insmod /sdcard/tun.ko

Now, I am sure there is a way to execute these on startup. Being a Linux noob however, I am not sure where to do this, or how to do this best. I'm also concerned about security. By running su on startup and then executing the insmod command, am I opening up my entire session to be running as su? I'd rather have it work the way it does now where I am prompted whenever an app requests su.

Thanks for any help.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Heya Mike, welcome to the dark side lol

The short answers -- yes it's possible to run a script at startup, and no it isn't dangerous as root never logs on, it's all a case where the shell interpreter just grabs elevated permissions to do what it needs to do -- there is no root shell open.

To do it, however, isn't such a short answer ;)

You need to be rooted (of course)
You need the boot image of the OS you're running to be edited so that a script, or a folder with user defined scripts can be/is run at boot. This is done in the ramdisk, and is a simple one line edit. BUT (dontcha just hate that word :p) unpacking the boot image, extracting the ramdisk, and editing the init.rc file is pretty specialized.

Of course, none of that is possible for the X at the moment because of the bootloader being locked up. SO have a look here, this is your best solution for now I think.
android-scripting - Project Hosting on Google Code
not quite running at boot, but can make a quick shortcut to run the script.

Reactions: mikejs78

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity, would "depmod -a" run as root after running the insmod command fix his problem? Under Linux this would load the kernel module on reboot if I remember correctly, but I don't know if it works under Android (and I haven't bothered to root yet).

Note: If running this command bricks your phone you can have double your money back from my free advice!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance