Tablet browser behavior

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've used several browsers with my LTE Xoom (settling on Dolphin HD) and have noticed a singularly annoying behavior: when you wake up the device and tap the browser icon, all the tabs are empty and have to reload from scratch. Why not leave them in memory to speed up viewing?

TJH

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Wait... so on your PC, when you switch away from the browser or minimize the browser window to do something else (multitasking) then come back, all your tabs are blank and must reload? Doesn't sound right to me. Then again I've been using an "alternative" OS for the last 22 years.

TJH

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I misunderstood what you were saying. Brain fart. Never mind.:-[

Now that I'm on the same page...

I'm using the stock browser on my 4G XOOM and just tried what you mentioned. I loaded four sites, then switched apps to something else, then came back to the browser.

The data took a very brief moment to redraw, but it clearly was not going out to the web to refetch the page.

Try it again, then close a tab and open a new one back to the same exact web page. You'll see the loading difference.

On the stock browser, the screen simply redraws and does so very quickly. When opening a web page in a new tab, you get that progress bar across the top and it takes longer.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Either it's the world's slowest redraw (think C64 speeds), or it IS fetching the page again. Indeed, I just did a test and switched over to Dolphin that had one tab open previously. Sure enough, the page is blank, the progress bar moves across the screen and the wireless icon in the corner indicates data transfer.

Keep in mind, this doesn't happen every time but mostly after the tablet has been asleep. Still, the last page viewed shouldn't be purged, should it?

I am not closing the browser with the X. Sheesh...

TJH

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just tried it again on mine. It's clearly a redraw on mine. No progress bar and it's a lot faster and different from fetching a new page from the internet.

I switched applications and came back.

I let it go to sleep and came back.

I switched applications, then let it go to sleep and came back.

I even tested a couple of websites that give me a different frame of advertising every time I visit them. No difference... same frame of advertising every time it redraws. Tried it a bunch of times in a row to make sure.

I'm rooted and am running the Eos ICS ROM. I don't know how that would make things different, but I thought I'd mention it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa