Why the Specs craze??

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Do manufacturers ever check with customers before adding all these specs they think we all want? Give me these specs this year at $400-$450 and tell me this wouldn't sell tons

10" (1024 x 768)-Current ipad quality screen
Wifi only
16GB with micro sdhc support
700-1gb ram
Snapdragon dual core MSM8660 1.2GHz (I can actually live with the samsung's current hummingbird with the SGX540 powervr gpu which is a beast at gaming)
Stock android HC or HTC sense

I don't need a rear camera ( Who is really going to be taking pics with a tablet when they probably own a 5-8mp cellphone with them?)
I could live without a ffc (hardly use it on my evo and the networks can't really support a fluid experience today)

Anyone with me? I guess I'm just hoping the Xoom doesn't start at $600/700. I guess we'll find out in the next few weeks

Last edited:

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Do manufacturers ever check with customers before adding all these specs they think we all want? ...

I don't need a rear camera ( Who is really going to be taking pics with a tablet when they probably own a 5-8mp cellphone with them?)
I could live without a ffc (hardly use it on my evo and the networks can't really support a fluid experience today)

Anyone with me? I guess I'm just hoping the Xoom doesn't start at $600/700. I guess we'll find out in the next few weeks

I for one, want the specs the XOOM has, which by the way aren't all that different from those you posted really. And I do think it is priced too high from the leaked prices seen so far. If the question is: do we want just about the same thing at a lower price, I think that would depend on what is given up, and just how low the price would be. Your specs, with no cameras .. I'd take the XOOM at $699 .. But others might not. I don't think there's any set of specs that we all want to be honest ...

That said, there is most definitely a "specs craze" as you put it going around. To me the UI and the overall usefulness and experience of using the device is going to count for much more.

Last edited:

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It probably would sell more starting off like that, for those who didn't want a Ipad and preferred a Android tablet with Honeycomb.

For me, I would just keep my Ipad. One of the reasons I want this tablet is because of the specs and more storage but, that's just me. I wished I had got a 32 or 64GB Ipad now instead of a 16GB. After putting on all my music, pictures, apps and movies, that 16GB (14Gb usable) goes away quick.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, not with you

I want all the specs the XOOM offers.

I'll use them all, except for the front facing camera. I'm one ugly SOB already. Looking up my nose while I talk will not be a sight for the faint of heart. ;-)

Even the 4G will be important for me. I already do most of my work in the "cloud" (I really hate that term!). What I can't do in the cloud is design boards and compile code. So I'll use my home system remotely via PocketCloud for remote design and code writing/compiling from hotel rooms. The high speed link, 1GB of SRAM and fast graphics processor will all be very necessary for this link.

The only thing I won't be able to work with is development boards, but that's OK... for now. ;-)

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
The thing is with technology today, you have to innovate and find ways to "wow" consumers and techie's alike. We already have quite a few "meh" Android and other tablets out there that have the very basics. Motorola has touted this as a Google Experience device, and the more features you add, the more likely you are to garner attention.