Xoom-- why isn't Motorola talking?

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
It seems that we are close to the launch of the Xoom based on some evidence print ads etc.. But you would not know this based on Motorola's behavior. They seem to be going out of their way not to say anything about their products details: launch date, partners, availability of wifi version........

Any guesses why?

Reactions: Arun01

DH in DC

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Everyone knows that the 3G version will be available on 2/24, and that a Wi-Fi only version will follow. I suspect they either don't know the release date for the Wi-Fi only version, and/or they want to give Verizon a window of exclusivity, which makes good business sense to me.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It seems that we are close to the launch of the Xoom based on some evidence print ads etc.. But you would not know this based on Motorola's behavior. They seem to be going out of their way not to say anything about their products details: launch date, partners, availability of wifi version........

Any guesses why?
Because their marketing department has their heads up their butts. XOOM was in a free fall of bad press for awhile... from mid January to mid February. MMI actually allowed their stock to slip 20% and lost >$2B in market cap because of it.

Analysts were scratching their heads. On one hand there was the Google/XOOM thing. One the other they were drowning in bad press speculation, with nary a word from MMI.

I honestly think it's just a case of incompetence. The VP of Marketing is new to the global position. He came from Harrods three years ago and was not in charge of US marketing before this. He's probably applying what works elsewhere, not realizing the cultural differences.

From my own experience, Americans (a group I am proud to be part of) are far more "immediate gratification" minded and demand/expect information far more than Europeans and especially Asians. But that's just my personal observations from extensive biz travel. I repeatedly see people putting up with stuff that would never be put up with here. And if you speak up, you become an "arrogant American". It's not that we are arrogant, it's the rest of the world is populated with sheep.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
So a straight month of questionable marketing and poor press had no effect on the stock?

No where did i say it had NO affect on the market. I said that questionable marketing and poor press for a single device would never have a single affect of 20% decrease (which from looking at stock since jan 4th i havent seen it dip 20%) in capital.

and you would have to be a fool to believe anything of the sort.

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
No where did i say it had NO affect on the market. I said that questionable marketing and poor press for a single device would never have a single affect of 20% decrease (which from looking at stock since jan 4th i havent seen it dip 20%) in capital.

Well do you agree that the market has shown little confidence in Motorola's ability to effectively launch and sell their product? And I was not the person who said the original quote. It just seems obvious that Motorola has not given investors confidence in their handling of the Xoom. Is anyone recommending investors buy their stock based on the release of this product?

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I think this is simply something of a soft launch. I'm guessing that inventory levels will be relatively low, and Motorola just wants to get the thing out there and in peoples' (and reviewers') hands. Things will heat up closer to when more stock is available and other Honeycomb tablets are threatening release.

That's why I'll be at my local store as early as I can to grab one of what I'm guessing will be a handful of units.

Low023

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
All this fuss about Motorola not talking is unfounded really, take for instance they just announced this device a little over a month ago and we have 5 days until it's in the hands of customers. Meanwhile knowledge of the $799.99 price point and release date of the 24th sense the 14th due to the original leak of the Best Buy ad. So a month turnaround on a newly announced product in my opinion is fantastic.

Then you have everyone complaining about pricing then comparing it to the original iPad, I don't know about you, but, hardware aside I think that Android Honeycomb is going to be the reference tablet operating system from this time forward and that in itself makes it more attractive then future iterations of the iPad to me.

With all that said, I feel that with the Xoom's release date being so far ahead of any other competitors coupled with the fact that it will be at, or better in the feature department then all other announced tablets (complain about them not giving pricing or release date from your Xoom) will make it the current industry leader and should be priced to reflect that.

Meanwhile you have all these other tablets floating around in a price point and release date limbo. I think most of these arguments are unfounded.

A lot of people are mad because this really cool thing coming out at a price point that to some is unattainable and that is unfortunate but at the same time you need to give Motorola credit for having a feature packed product in the consumers hands based on honeycomb first. Just sayin...

Oh, did I mention inflation lol. /end rant

Last edited:
Reactions: Arun01

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Highly unlikely that the drop in stock price was caused by anything related to the Xoom.
And it's "highly unlikely" why?

So, dear expert, care to share why else MMI (a part of a currently strong sector making consistent gains) would shed 20% and $2B in market capital? What other news could possibly do that? I'm all ears.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
quite the miss informed character you are. This was more related to the release of the iphone announcement and release on verizon. then it was the tablet.
Novices... sheesh.

During the time frame in question, the iPhone release on Verizon was old news.

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
And it's "highly unlikely" why?

So, dear expert, care to share why else MMI (a part of a currently strong sector making consistent gains) would shed 20% and $2B in market capital? What other news could possibly do that? I'm all ears.

"quite the miss informed character you are. This was more related to the release of the iphone announcement and release on verizon. then it was the tablet."

That is what he said. Not sure if true or not?

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to start charging for Investing 101, for Pete's sake.

Motorola's stock rose during CES and soon after because they won Best in Show at CES for the XOOM.

Post CES and XOOM announcement is where you pick the base line, not some arbitrary point.