No 4G, $800 Pricetag, Activation Required, No Flash: Is the wait boat getting to big?

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Everyone relax. Not having all these features on launch is a good thing. Just think we will be getting lots of updates to fix stuff. Waiting is fun. Its a way to keep this thing current and in the news. In a month it will be talk cause it got flash and driving sales again. Then it gets 4g and drives more sales. Now the sd card thing is just silly cause I don't see how that can be held up. I ordered mine knowing what im getting now and im fine with that. Im not going to get all crazy cause of it. If I didn't like it I would just not get it. Its really that simple.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well put. And I am sure that Motorola and Google know what they are doing...

Is it Thursday yet?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Lol. Oh noes. Better break the news to parker

Please do. He signed up on the 6th and has 120 posts bashing the xoom. Most people have better things to do. I too can't wait for Thursday. Its going to be a awesome tablet that will get better with time. Im really just paying the $800 bucks for the sweet bootup screen ;).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Everyone relax. Not having all these features on launch is a good thing. Just think we will be getting lots of updates to fix stuff. ...

Sorry, but this is not at all true for me. I wanted to use Flash for several things out of the box (Playon access to Netflix and Hulu for one). So waiting for this "feature" is not only not fun, but is considerably aggravating, and will prevent me from doing one of the main handful of things I am buying it for out of the box. Sorry, but "fun" is the last word I would use to describe these shortcomings. This is a failure by Moto and Google. They touted flash, bragged about it as an advantage over the iPad, and are now launching without it. Shame on them.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Im sure hulu will be blocked and netflix wont work yet. But check this out. Don't install flash from the market on the xoom. Try this file.
Potential Motorola XOOM Owners, Here is a Tegra 2 Flash 10.1 File to Try - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Thanks. I may try that to see.

As far as Playon and Netflix/hulu, I am already using them on my Original Droid from PlayOn. They work fine. Maybe they will block them in the future, who knows.. Even so, there are other uses I have for Flash. It works on 2.2, on the Galaxy Tab , on the Original Droid. This is just so silly. This is a flagship launch for Pete's sake.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
My thing is this: people get upset when companies delay launches to resolve issues, and when they launch on time without resolving the issues first. Which is better? Which would you prefer?

Speaking for myself, I think the Xoom is cool enough that I'm willing to buy it before all the kinks are worked out. That's not always true, however, and so it seems to be a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't proposition for manufacturers.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
My thing is this: people get upset when companies delay launches to resolve issues, and when they launch on time without resolving the issues first. Which is better? Which would you prefer?

Speaking for myself, I think the Xoom is cool enough that I'm willing to buy it before all the kinks are worked out. That's not always true, however, and so it seems to be a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't proposition for manufacturers.

I want a more-functioning unit myself. I could've waited a bit.

I know this is all about Adobe and them getting their 10.2 Flash version ready for Tegra 2 (Flash Player 10.2 is the StageVideo class and has a few other things that are pretty cool, and make Flash run almost 100% on GPU for video. This should save battery life, improve overall speed and is just one of the things we've been hearing that Adobe is improving.)

But Google and Moto should have been beatin' Adobe down over the past months to get this ready. Oh well.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Normally, I'd much rather the launch be delayed so as many of the bugs and kinks can be worked out as possible. In this instance, none of what still hasn't quite been resolved affects me a whole lot, and I am putting faith in Motorola/Verizon that they will be addressed swiftly.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Would be nice if companies quit using consumers as beta testers. I'd like a well polished product.

I was considering this. I thought it was a bit over-priced, but I would have still thought of getting a wi-fi only version for my wife.

Too many "commas" at this point... for me, at least. Plus, I tend to avoid being an early adopter for reasons noted in my first paragraph.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I remember being a little surprised that the Xoom was going to be released so soon (and so much sooner than anyone else), and perhaps that's why these "little" issues are coming out now. But, the question remains: would we rather they had delayed the launch, or launch now with the issues?

I mean, nobody HAS TO buy it immediately--nothing wrong with waiting. I think another question is: does the device do everything it's being marketed as doing, today? If not, then that could be problematic and they'd want to be careful not to advertise a feature that's not currently available.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Everyone relax. Not having all these features on launch is a good thing. Just think we will be getting lots of updates to fix stuff. Waiting is fun. Its a way to keep this thing current and in the news. In a month it will be talk cause it got flash and driving sales again. Then it gets 4g and drives more sales. Now the sd card thing is just silly cause I don't see how that can be held up. I ordered mine knowing what im getting now and im fine with that. Im not going to get all crazy cause of it. If I didn't like it I would just not get it. Its really that simple.
I don't even know what to say to this. It is good that these features are not there. This doesn't even make sense.

Please do. He signed up on the 6th and has 120 posts bashing the xoom. Most people have better things to do. I too can't wait for Thursday. Its going to be a awesome tablet that will get better with time. Im really just paying the $800 bucks for the sweet bootup screen ;).

I don't have 120 posts bashing to Xoom. My first bunch were that I liked it and wanted one. Then the price came out, then the activation fee, then the lack of flash... I want a good Android tablet. Maybe the Xoom will be it, but from the looks of it it won't be it on Launch day!

Would be nice if companies quit using consumers as beta testers. I'd like a well polished product.
Good post. no great post!

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
So first it was no 4G, which we all understood.

Then it was an $800 pricetag, which made some of us laugh.

Then it was a required activation in some retail outlets.

Now it is no Flash.

But, the question remains: would we rather they had delayed the launch, or launch now with the issues?
None of the issues in the first post will prevent or hinder me from using the XOOM as I intended on day 1.

4G - I wasn't expecting it at launch anyway, and my market isn't going 4G for another month or two anyway.

$800 - Doesn't bother me. Completely in line with the "comparable" iPad, only $100 more than the rumored price of the HP TouchPad, $70 more than the rumored price of the HTC Flyer, and probably even closer to the launch price of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and G-Slate. People who thought it would be less were delusional, and people who thought it should be less were dreaming.

Required Activation - Every single device on Verizon requires the same, so this did not surprise me, and shouldn't have surprised anyone. The activation process does not "unlock" Wi-Fi, however they're not going to let you out the door otherwise. You can easily walk out the door, cancel the data plan, and receive a refund of the activation fee, and a prorated refund of the data charge. That is Verizon's policy, and their policy is also that the activation charge will occur once, not multiple times as Best Buy suggests.

No Adobe Flash - Obviously XDA has already come up with a solution that should fix it, and it's unlikely that I'll be dying for Flash capability on day 1 anyway.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I don't even know what to say to this. It is good that these features are not there. This doesn't even make sense.

I don't have 120 posts bashing to Xoom. My first bunch were that I liked it and wanted one. Then the price came out, then the activation fee, then the lack of flash... I want a good Android tablet. Maybe the Xoom will be it, but from the looks of it it won't be it on Launch day!

Good post. no great post!

Your right it will be lacking some options. Just hope the waiting is not long.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
None of the issues in the first post will prevent or hinder me from using the XOOM as I intended on day 1.

4G - I wasn't expecting it at launch anyway, and my market isn't going 4G for another month or two anyway.

$800 - Doesn't bother me. Completely in line with the "comparable" iPad, only $100 more than the rumored price of the HP TouchPad, $70 more than the rumored price of the HTC Flyer, and probably even closer to the launch price of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and G-Slate. People who thought it would be less were delusional, and people who thought it should be less were dreaming.

Required Activation - Every single device on Verizon requires the same, so this did not surprise me, and shouldn't have surprised anyone. The activation process does not "unlock" Wi-Fi, however they're not going to let you out the door otherwise.

No Adobe Flash - Obviously XDA has already come up with a solution that should fix it, and it's unlikely that I'll be dying for Flash capability within the first 90 days anyway.
I hope you like it. Seems like eventually it will be a great device and people like you who put the initial effort into working out the bugs will be a benefit to all Android Tablet users of the future!

Have fun and good luck!!!!

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Seems like eventually it will be a great device and people like you who put the initial effort into working out the bugs will be a benefit to all Android Tablet users of the future!
No, it will be great device right from the start. People like you, who don't have any intention of buying the XOOM, continue to bring up "negatives", most of which have been known for quite a while.

What other tablet, if released relatively soon, would not have the same issues?

Galaxy Tab 10.1 - No confirmation of 4G/LTE in the US, no memory expansion slot, no price given (which should make you assume it won't be less than the XOOM), no wi-fi only model announced, and it wouldn't have Flash before the XOOM anyway.

G-Slate - No confirmation of 4G/LTE in the US, no memory expansion slot, price converts to about $1,000 (after subtracting VAT), no wi-fi only model announced, and it wouldn't have Flash before the XOOM anyway.

HTC Flyer - No 4G/LTE, memory expansion slot and Adobe Flash active (only because it runs skinned Gingerbread), rumored to be $700+, and no wi-fi only version announced.

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I think the Xoom has the potential to be a very good tab. But it isn't there and isn't going to be there at launch. Considering it's being marketed and priced as a high end tablet, I think it's absurd it's not coming standard with some things. You can guarantee with this being the first HC tab, it's going to have a few bugs as well on the firmware side.
Bottom line is Moto is too concerned with getting some part of this market share & they're rushing this product out. Only time will tell if it's going to bite them in the arse. Google should put their foot down, or maybe they tried. I don't know.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
No, it will be great device right from the start. People like you, who don't have any intention of buying the XOOM, continue to bring up "negatives", most of which have been known for quite a while.
This is where you are wrong. 3 weeks ago I was 90% buying at launch, 2 Weeks ago 40%, last week 1%. But I had always planned on buying in a couple months. I still will most likely, but I will wait for the features and price I want. I am guessing late May early June, unless something else is looking good.

Not sure why this is so hard for some people to understand.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non