No 4G, $800 Pricetag, Activation Required, No Flash: Is the wait boat getting to big?

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So first it was no 4G, which we all understood.

Then it was an $800 pricetag, which made some of us laugh.

Then it was a required activation in some retail outlets.

Now it is no Flash.

How big is the wiat for a better Honeycomb tablet or until Xoom gets more of the expected features?

Has this launch been a success, mild failure, complete failure, ...? I guess we will know soon enough!

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You forgot that you can't access the sd card slot until they get a fix for it.
Since best buy only had a few Xoom's available for pre order at best buy, Motorola will try to say the pre orders were a huge success.
I'm sure they will fix it soon. But where is google in all this hoopla? Isn't the Xoom supposed to be a pure google experience? Some pundits will find a way to blame the android is os for this.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You're just mad because you can't afford it.

LoL, nothing I can say can make you change your mind. But I could easily afford this if I wanted to. I don't think just because I have money I need to buy something that is overpriced and has undelivered features. But if it makes you feel better to think that my criticism is because I am poor then go ahead.

For those of us interested in making our beloved Android devices better, I can't see how we can currently support Motorola's Xoom.

Vote with your wallet and wait a couple months until more Honeycomb tablets come out.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think given the competitive landscape of tablets (not just Android tablets), so far this Xoom launch has been pretty botched.

Not only do you mention the above issues, but the lack of communication about what exactly the story is, no date for the Wifi version and the fact that every time I've tried to call Best Buy or Verizon no one seems to know anything about it, I'd say it's the exact opposite of the ipad launch.

I was really excited about this, I thought I'd go out and buy the Verizon version just not activated and be fine with the $800 price, that's cool for being an early adopter with me.

But to force subscriber stats for a device that doesn't need it, doesn't seem that ethical to me, I wonder if the FCC has to chime in on this at some point?

I think
A) the device seems rushed, no flash, no sdk released yet so tablet optimized apps will be at a minimum,
B) no clear 4G upgrade path,
C) Verizon penny pinching on an unsubsidized device just feels dirty. If we're not getting a price break for the required verizon activation plus one month of service than what's the point? There's no plus for this for the users who don't want to use VZW. I don't mind spending a premium of what would amount to be around $920 w/tax, vzw activation & first month but there's no good justification for it.

I think given what you can get from Apple, Motorola & Verizon need to be a bit more consumer friendly here and I'm really surprised Google let their flagship tablet OS launch like this.

It seems there will be a limited supply of a device that's not ready to be released and comes with a lot of carrier strings attached.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I think given the competitive landscape of tablets (not just Android tablets), so far this Xoom launch has been pretty botched.

Not only do you mention the above issues, but the lack of communication about what exactly the story is, no date for the Wifi version and the fact that every time I've tried to call Best Buy or Verizon no one seems to know anything about it, I'd say it's the exact opposite of the ipad launch.

I was really excited about this, I thought I'd go out and buy the Verizon version just not activated and be fine with the $800 price, that's cool for being an early adopter with me.

But to force subscriber stats for a device that doesn't need it, doesn't seem that ethical to me, I wonder if the FCC has to chime in on this at some point?

I think
A) the device seems rushed, no flash, no sdk released yet so tablet optimized apps will be at a minimum,
B) no clear 4G upgrade path,
C) Verizon penny pinching on an unsubsidized device just feels dirty. If we're not getting a price break for the required verizon activation plus one month of service than what's the point? There's no plus for this for the users who don't want to use VZW. I don't mind spending a premium of what would amount to be around $920 w/tax, vzw activation & first month but there's no good justification for it.

I think given what you can get from Apple, Motorola & Verizon need to be a bit more consumer friendly here and I'm really surprised Google let their flagship tablet OS launch like this.

It seems there will be a limited supply of a device that's not ready to be released and comes with a lot of carrier strings attached.

Well said, good post +1

John566

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I would think we could install 10.1 from the market but this is still quite a disappointment. Apple must be laughing their asses off. I have a pre order and really want one but this might be the final straw.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok quick question. Now flash is available in the market. and it specifies that it will work for 2.2+. Would this work with honeycomb. I mean they did say that all apps in the market would work for amd scale to play. (during the announcement of honeycomb when they were playing fruit ninjas this was said.) so wouldnt flash 10.1 work??

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok quick question. Now flash is available in the market. and it specifies that it will work for 2.2+. Would this work with honeycomb. I mean they did say that all apps in the market would work for amd scale to play. (during the announcement of honeycomb when they were playing fruit ninjas this was said.) so wouldnt flash 10.1 work??

I don't know? Does it work on the Nook?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't, I think the concerns are legit, everyone was excited about this and all of these caveats are becoming the story over what the device is.

It's like the only press is of what you're not getting and not what you're getting.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't, I think the concerns are legit, everyone was excited about this and all of these caveats are becoming the story over what the device is.

It's like the only press is of what you're not getting and not what you're getting.
Thanks!

Heck read my first 25 or so posts on the topic of the Xoom. I was really into this about 6 weeks ago. Then little by little information started coming out. I am honest enough to admit that my initial impression was wrong. I don't jump on a product and stay with it no matter what.

I hope the first adopters work through these issues and in the end help bring us the product I was so much promise in 6 weeks ago!

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Far from it. I'm completely fine with how things are. Flash isn't a big deal for me, its nice, but its not the end all of things for me in a tablet. 4G is something I can wait on as well. I use WiFi 90 percent of the time and don't plan on activating verizons service unless I absolutely need it. And I am not a media hog so the sd issue is a non issue. 32 is plenty.

I don't get why your trying to preach to everyone about how its more or less not a wise investment. If its not for you, don't buy one. Move along.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
This is precisely why I buy these sorts of things at Costco. I'll have 90 days to decide if the Xoom is right for me. If it's not, then I'll simply return it, no questions asked.

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So first it was no 4G, which we all understood.

Then it was an $800 pricetag, which made some of us laugh.

Then it was a required activation in some retail outlets.

Now it is no Flash.

How big is the wiat for a better Honeycomb tablet or until Xoom gets more of the expected features?

Has this launch been a success, mild failure, complete failure, ...? I guess we will know soon enough!

While I will probably purchase one, I'm not what they would consider mainstream. We are all probably techies and/or early adopters. When you add the fact that it's $800 plus you are required one month of service.. I just don't know if this will have mass market appeal.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
This is precisely why I buy these sorts of things at Costco. I'll have 90 days to decide if the Xoom is right for me. If it's not, then I'll simply return it, no questions asked.
This is a great strategy! If I had a Costco near me this is what might make me decide to buy one. In 88 days if it doesn't ahe what is promised I buy another that is out there in May.

Good Call!

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
While I will probably purchase one, I'm not what they would consider mainstream. We are all probably techies and/or early adopters. When you add the fact that it's $800 plus you are required one month of service.. I just don't know if this will have mass market appeal.

I am just that. An early adopter. Can't tell you how much I have spent on first time products. I don't expect this to take on Apple, I think its a better alternative to those techies out there that want more and are wiling to pay for it.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
This is a great strategy! If I had a Costco near me this is what might make me decide to buy one. In 88 days if it doesn't ahe what is promised I buy another that is out there in May.

Good Call!

Sh*t, if that's true I'll just buy at Costco on Thursday. If the 3 missing features aren't there by three months time, back it goes.

Cool :)

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes people speak out against a product because they want to make it better. I don't want to be the drone who accepts what I am given and praise it up and dpown when it has obvious flaws.

who's praising it up and down? Not me. Not yet at least. I'm sure it will have some flaws that I will come across once I start to actually use it. All devices do, but your gripes aren't flaws to me. The price, flash and sd issue aren't flaws to me. You seem to be one of those consumers that are never happy with anything no matter what it brings to the table .

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The truth is I am disappointed with how this release has gone but that being said, there's probably an 80% chance I'll be stopping at the Verizon store on Thursday morning to pick one up.

I feel like I want to be more excited about this thing though, I've wanted an android tablet for a while and it's like every time you turn around there's some other term or restriction about this thing.

Think about it this way, on day 1 you bring this thing home after dropping over $900, what will it do that a cheaper ipad with more tablet specific apps can't do? Or how about this, what will it do that a G tablet can't do and you can grab that for $379 (and it'll probably run the same honeycomb on the same Tegra2 chip).

For the money I'm just not seeing the value, I mean I can get a serious upgrade on my home PC for that kind of money or a new laptop and it'll destroy what this Xoom can do even after there are a ton of tablet apps.

I think that 80% chance just went to 40%.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Everyone relax. Not having all these features on launch is a good thing. Just think we will be getting lots of updates to fix stuff. Waiting is fun. Its a way to keep this thing current and in the news. In a month it will be talk cause it got flash and driving sales again. Then it gets 4g and drives more sales. Now the sd card thing is just silly cause I don't see how that can be held up. I ordered mine knowing what im getting now and im fine with that. Im not going to get all crazy cause of it. If I didn't like it I would just not get it. Its really that simple.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
OMG this just in... now we have to wait for the screen!!!!! Might cancel that pre order now.
aefc06ff-b850-d473.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaplogo