Xoom won't connect to jailbroken iPhone

Bigum1969

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I recently took the plunge and jailbroke my iPhone 3gs. Mostly to use it as a wifi hotspot.

Using mifi, the phone shows right up on my I pad 2 and connects right away. The phone does not even show up as a wireless source on my Xoom... Any ideas why?

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Go to settings in your wifi and press the menu button in the topnright. Go to."advanced" and see if you have the xoom wifi set to connect to 5ghz, 2.4ghz, or both.

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, the iPhone 3GS does not do infrastructure mode, only ad-hoc mode when using something like MyWi. Android doesn't see ad-hoc devices (unless you hack it, something to do with wpa_supplicant).

The iPhone 4 and most Android smartphones can do infrastructure mode, so it shows up as a real access point.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
MyWi is setting up Ad Hoc networks not true wifi, so it will only work with iDevices and computers that can deal with that protocol. The Tetherme app works via Bluetooth but I can tell you it's a pain in the ass to keep connected and more work than it's worth to use IMO. I went for the actual paid tethering and glad I don't have to jack with it. I avg about 3.0gigs over the past 12 months so the 4 gigs is plenty and the lack of the JB hassle and battery issues won't be missed.

ctechnow

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I updated my 3GS to 4.3.1 and with Jailbreak MyWi works for bluetooth tethering. If anyone has a way to broadcast wifi in infrastructure mode please post as I would rather do that..

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Is your jailbreak untethered? I updated and tried to rejailbreak it but I couldn't get past the apple. Not sure if it's something I did wrong or the software.

lookinsidewayz

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
It's my understanding like stated above that the iPhone 4 broadcast infrastructure..

I have tetherMe on my iphone4 is there a way to find out if it is infrastructure? The bluetooth tether won't cut it for me and I will hate to pick up the wifi only xoom if I can only tether it via Bluetooth. I might have to go for the 3G model.

Anyone with a jb'd iphone4 running tetherMe have luck tethering the xoom via wifi?

lookinsidewayz

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yep, i'm running tetherme on a jailbroken iphone 4 running, i just turn on "Personal hotspot" and my Xoom sees it.

So it's not tethering through Bluetooth correct? This is good news. I'll be going to try it out at the store later. This has been the only thing holding me back.

Thanks!

brianmcbride99

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Fyi I had the same issue on my jailbroken iPhone 4 using mywi. After shutting the iPhone completely off and restarting, the xoom would then find the mywi hotspot.