Xoom safe from sand at the beach?

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Summer is approaching and I'll be hitting the beach with some friends. I usually arrive early to reserve a bonfire pit so I plan to take my Xoom with me to kill time. Has anyone had problems taking the Xoom to the beach? I'm concerned of getting sand in the screen.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sand gets into everything! Put it in a big ziplock bag, or other sealed bag. I go to the beach a lot...even on mild wind days sand gets in!

Xoom Drybag

I've been using draybag cases for my phones for years. At the beach, canceling, rating or by the pool. Love em.

I get mine from West Marine: West Marine Drypak cases

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonno

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I would keep mine as far away from the sand as possible! lol It really does get in everything. I'd be worried about those little speaker pinholes on the back especially. I think my $600 baby is going to stay in the hotel safe when we travel this year! ;)

LynnL

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I can't say that sounds like a good idea, between issues with sand and water and problems using the device in sunlight. I use my Kindle at the pool and beach all the time, but it's not a touchscreen and i can keep it completely enclosed.

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Sand gets into everything! Put it in a big ziplock bag, or other sealed bag. I go to the beach a lot...even on mild wind days sand gets in!

Xoom Drybag

I've been using draybag cases for my phones for years. At the beach, canceling, rating or by the pool. Love em.

I get mine from West Marine: West Marine Drypak cases

Neat, I've never seen these before. Do you know if sound can still play out of the devices? If the bag is airtight maybe the speaker air pressure is dampened. Also, I assume head phones cannot be connected.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Neat, I've never seen these before. Do you know if sound can still play out of the devices? If the bag is airtight maybe the speaker air pressure is dampened. Also, I assume head phones cannot be connected.

If you're not worried about taking into the water, you could run the headphone cord through one corner of an ziplock bags top, and perhaps use a piece of tape to keep the rest of it from pealing open. That should still keep sand out.

Reactions: Jonno

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
If you're not worried about taking into the water, you could run the headphone cord through one corner of an ziplock bags top, and perhaps use a piece of tape to keep the rest of it from pealing open. That should still keep sand out.

Very true. If it's just sand I'm worried about then I'll just look for a clear ziploc bag that can fit the Xoom. The clamp on the water tight product is cool but would damage my headphone cable.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
A one gallon size ziploc back will fit the Xoom nicely. You won't be able to really use it while in the ziploc though.

I wouldn't use a device like the Xoom at the beach. Too much can happen to it. I'm thinking about all the times the tide has slowly come in and waterlogged my bag, or I've wanted to go swimming and none of my friends were around to watch my stuff. It's a lot easier to leave behind a towel and some food--than an expensive device.

Why would you need to kill time if you are with friends anyway. You are going to browse the internet while they're talking to you?

Carlos Thomas

Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Your going to the beach...leave the Xoom at home. Your going to the beach. Do you see the problem? Head in a screen or head up and enjoying your surroundings.

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Why would you need to kill time if you are with friends anyway. You are going to browse the internet while they're talking to you?

Your going to the beach...leave the Xoom at home. Your going to the beach. Do you see the problem? Head in a screen or head up and enjoying your surroundings.

The problem is that I have to arrive early to reserve a fire pit for a beach bonfire. I live in Los Angeles and the fire pits go fast at the beaches. I need to arrive first around 7-9am. However my friends will be arriving later in the afternoon due to work/school/etc.

If I'm lucky a friend will join me, but if not then I will be bored out of my mind for hours. Even if someone accompanies me we can talk for a while but have dead time in between. My Xoom will be perfect to watch a TV episode here and there.

I can soak up the environment and enjoy the scenery... but alone for 5-7 hours straight... I'd like my Xoom to fill in pockets of boredom. :)

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have not tried using my touch screen Android in the Drypak yet. Only BlackBerry and of course those worked except for the trackball.

I put my devices in the Drypak so that I have them if I need them. I don't really use them too much while I'm living it up in nature. Although I have used the camera on my BlackBerry when I canoes to an island! But mostly I use them to keep sand and water out.

I have one that has a hole cut out for headphones cable. I do use it for that a lot.

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I was able to find a 9x12 inch clear ziploc bag at work. The touch control works fine through the plastic. Thanks for the help guys!

@Chrisy: Regarding the Drypak, a youtube video on the link you posted demonstrated the touch working through the plastic on that product.

Reactions: Chrisy

LynnL

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
So, you want to use it at the beach during daylight hours? Have you tried using the Xoom outside? It doesn't work really well in the sun. Maybe consider a book or an ipod instead.

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So, you want to use it at the beach during daylight hours? Have you tried using the Xoom outside? It doesn't work really well in the sun. Maybe consider a book or an ipod instead.

I will be using it under the shade of a canopy so the screen will be visible. I agree it would not work well under direct sunlight especially with the reflective screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95