[Guide] How to root your myTouch 4G

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The instructions were written by Grankin01, so all credit for this process needs to go to him and the people he mentions.

First of all, unforgiven512 deserves most of the credit for coming up with the initial tutorial for perm root and s=off for the new HTC devices. Also, thanks to adwinp for the instructions on hexeditting the kernel module to make it work with the MT4G.

This was a collaborative #g2root effort, primarily involving scotty2, tmzt, IntuitiveNipple but also many others!

Ok, so the usual disclaimers go here:

I am not responsible for your bricked phone based on the fact that you CHOSE to follow these steps. Read through the forums and LEARN before you attempt to flash any device. You have been warned.

This method only works for those devices who have already received their OTA update!!!

Now that that is out of the way here we go:

First make sure you have visionary installed! Click this link and install it like any other app:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hdmdznfd9zf7w15

Root.rar (all files plus a script to make things a little easier.) Here's the link for this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?flit79p2y069bb3

1. Download the root.rar file and unzip it to /sdcard on your device.

2. Run VISIONary to gain temp root.

Now I am going to run two different sets of instructions (you'll understand why in a minute):

Terminal Emulator Method
3a. Start terminal emulator up on your device.(I prefer this method b/c you can see the output.)

a. type "su" + enter to gain root privileges.

b. Type "cd /sdcard/root" + enter.

c. Type "sh root.sh" + enter.

d. Follow the on screen prompts.

File Explorer Method
3b. Start up root explorer, sufbs, or some other type of file browser with root privileges.

a. Navigate to /sdcard/root on your device.

b. Click on root.sh and allow it to run. Some file browsers ask you if you want to or not.

c. Now wait about 18 to 20 seconds and restart your device into the bootloader to check if S=off is displayed.

4. Start the device back up.

5. Run visionary again and reboot again. This will make root stick.

You can now uninstall visionary and enjoy permaroot.

Alternative Root Process

First, uninstall visionary and superuser and restart your device to wipe out temp root.

Second, download MT4G Modperm.zip and unzip its contents to your sdk tools directory.

MT4G Modperm.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?mzv4u33i2x0l2ja
MD5Sum: 3ea4a7a6ddee711d12f7350ce60fae33

Then:

Windows Users:
1a. Using Explorer navigate to the root of your sdk. Hold shift and right mouse click on the tools folder. Select "Open command window here".

2a. Type "adbbat" + enter. Wait till the batch file finishes.

Linux Users:
1b. Using file browser of your choice (or terminal) navigate to the tools folder of your sdk and double click on adbbat.sh (type sh adbbat.sh if you are using terminal). Credit for adbbat.sh goes to slhpss.

2. Disconnect your phone from the PC.

3. Open terminal emulator on the phone and type "/data/local/rage" + enter. Wait for "Forked XXXXXXXX children" to appear and then close the terminal.

4. Start terminal back up. It should force close.

5. Start terminal back up, again. This time it should stay open and you should have a "#" prompt instead of a "$" prompt. Then type "/data/local/temp.sh.

6. When the script finishes run /data/local/rage again and sit tight. The phone should start acting weird and do a soft reboot. Then right after everything loads it should do a hard reboot. After the hard reboot reboot and check S.(If it doesn't do the two reboots just reboot into hboot yourself after rage finishes with the "forked xxxxxxxx children" message.

7. Enjoy root!

If you still have problems getting su to work after this uninstall visionary, shutdown, pull battery, and restart. Should work after that. Props to PolishDude for figuring that one out.

If you have tried EVERYTHING and still cannot get it to work for through the process and wait 30 minutes to an hour. The driver might have a cache delay write and you may need to give it some time to allow the sync command to work. This has worked for one other person (mfouco). BTW, this was figured out by coachmai. Props man!

If su doesn't stick, flash again! You can't overroot it!

Process for turning S back on

Download this file and unzip it to /sdcard on your device.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bccocbreankbodw

unroot.rar

Terminal Emulator Method
1. Open up terminal editor on your device.(I prefer this method b/c you can see the output.)

a. Type "su" + enter to gain root privileges.

b. Type "cd /sdcard/unroot" + enter.

c. Type "sh unroot.sh" + enter.

d. Follow the onscreen prompts.

File Explorer Method
2. Open root explorer, sufbs, or some other file browser with root access.

a. Navigate to /sdcard/unroot.

b. Click on unroot.sh and allow it to run. Some file browsers ask permission before they execute scripts.

c. Wait 18 to 20 seconds and reboot your phone into the bootloader to check if S=on.

You now have S=ON again.

Since we opened up the nand to writes you should still retain persistent root privileges.

Hope this makes it all easier for you.
Cheers --grankin01

For everyone that is have trouble writing to the protected areas of the system after following the rooting procedures.

Reboot into Clockwork recovery and choose the mounts and storage option. From there choose mount system (or whichever protected directory you want access to) and click the trackpad. When unmount system shows you have rw access to the /system directory and all of its subs.

Last edited:

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your extensive post. Could you please give me / us a method to confirm a root once it has been done?

After 'rooting', I removed Visionary, and then rebooted into 'recovery' (by holding 'Volume Down' button when I power up) and i see S=off, so I figure it's rooted. I then power off the phone and restart it normally.

I have Titanium Pro on the phone and run it, and I get the error message saying that the app does not have 'root' access. So, am I rooted or not? Thanks.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Do you have the superuser app? If so you need to look for a prompt when you start titanium asking for superuser permission. you need to grant it and keep the box checked that says to remember it.

This is straight from the sticky:

If you have tried EVERYTHING and still cannot get it to work for through the process and wait 30 minutes to an hour. The driver might have a cache delay write and you may need to give it some time to allow the sync command to work. This has worked for one other person (mfouco). BTW, this was figured out by coachmai. Props man!

If su doesn't stick, flash again! You can't overroot it!

And I rooted my phone a month and a half ago. I took this post from XDA as I didn't come up with it myself. I will help as much as I can but I can say with 100% certainty that these steps will result in full root when followed correctly.

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
@ Iamlilysdad, In the Superuser app and see that both Terminal Emulator and Titanium Pro have root (0) requested and status is set for Allow.

I did two 15 minute waits with the battery out after the original terminal SH (ing).

Retrying this step by step (using YaSo's step numbering):
(I am doing this with Android 2.2.1, Software number 1.17.531.2)

y1- Attach phone to PC and set phone from Charge only to Disk drive
y2- Copy files to sdcard/root folder (hboot_dhd.nb0, Root.sh, wpx.ko)
y3- Check (enable) the box for USB debugging in Settings/Applications/Development
y4- Check (enable) the box for Unknown sources in Settings/Applications
y5- Copy com.modaco.visionaryplusr14.apk to sdcard from PC
y6- Set Connect to PC USB state to Charge only from Disk drive, and unplug USB cable from phone.
y7- Open Astro File Manage, navigate to sdcard and click, open app manager and install com.modaco.visionaryplusr14.apk to phone
y8- Go to Settings/Applications/Manage applications and be sure that VISIONary+ r14 and Terminal Emulator (Android Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich) are both installed.
y9- Start VISIONary+ app, check (enable) the box for Set system r/w after root.
y10- In VISIONary+ click Temproot now, see the 'rooting device, please wait' mesage flash on / off / on / off, then see it return to the VISIONary+ menu. Go 'Home'.
y11- Start Superuser app, see that Terminal Emulator has it's status set to Allow. Click cancel and go 'Home'.
(note: If
y12- Start Terminal Emulator and do the following:
a- type su then hit the enter - return key (see message that TerminalEmulator has been given superuser permissions)
b- type cd /sdcard/root then hit the enter - return key (nothing special seen aside from going down one line)
c- type sh root.sh then hit enter - return key (see the following on screen)

Inserting kernel module
insmod: init_module '/sdcard/root/mbx.ko' failed (Function not implemented)
Duplicating hboot
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
1048576 bytes transferred in 0.527 secs (1989707 bytes/sec)
Synchronizing
Powerdown and reboot into hboot to check if s=off

y13- Hold power button, choose Power off to shut down the phone.
y14- After phone is off, remove battery.
y15- Listen to assorted Rush, New Order and Police songs for 30 minutes.
y16- Reinsert battery and hold Volume Down and Power buttons to boot into the recovery... thing.
Y17- See that top line reads GLACIER PVT ENG S-OFF
(their caps, not mine)
y18-choose fastboot, then reboot to start phone normally, listen to more Rush as phone boots ( ;) )
y19- Start Titanium Pro (which requires root access) only to discover the error message 'Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges. This application will *not* work ! Please verify that your ROM is rooted and includes BusyBox, and try again.'
y20- Click the Problems ? key, see message about installing a known good version of BusyBox, click Yes, do it, and see that I still can't get Titanium to run.
y21- Run VISIONary+, same as steps y9 and y10
y22- Kill and restart Titanium Pro, see that it works now.

But, why do I have to run VISIONary+ to get it working when s-off was showing in recovery?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
YaSo ~ Yet another Steve

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The second time you run it is so that it sticks and doesn't go away after a reboot. Did you try it and did it work or do you not have root after a reboot?

Sent from my myTouch 4G

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I pretty much all of the instructions down however the link to download the root file, seems to be for windows pc's only. I have only Mac's in my house. Is there anywhere I can get the root file as a dmg? I have searched and I couldn't find anything on it.

I realized I had to download an app that would extract the files on my mac. I get superuser permission and I go through the prompts in terminal. But then when I reboot with volume and power button I keep getting S-ON. Ive been trying all day to no avail. Not sure wat I'm doing wrong now.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm that's a good question. I can't find it over on XDA.

I'm sure someone is working on it, though. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

jbaile07#AC

Feb 13, 2011
www.facebook.com
:( aghhh HELP!!!! I feel as I am following these instructions very clearly, I just cant seem to get rooted!!! I've got my root folder as sdcard/root and visionary is installed and I just dont know what I am doing wrong!!! I ge the same responses from terminal though when I restart, i get s=on!!! :'(

jbaile07#AC

Feb 13, 2011
www.facebook.com

mjneid

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
If you atr talking about the folder with the root.sh file in it. Download it directly to the SdCard and unzip it to the root of the sdcard via astro file manager.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
The weirdest thing happened when I tried to root over the weekend. I installed & ran visionary. I downloaded & unzipped the root file. I ran terminal emulator, but when I got to the Type "sh unroot.sh" + enter instruction, it kept saying "permission denied." So, I didn't get any farther than that. Well, after all that, my phone started getting really laggy. I rebooted several times & even did some battery pulls. The weird thing...apparently I'm rooted! I can take screen shots & the super user app is in my app drawer. What the heck happened???

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for not replying sooner.

If I reboot into recovery, (by holding power and volume down button), I still see that S=OFF.

And then after waiting for the phone to fully boot, if I try to run Titanium Backup Pro, I still get 'Root access: FAILED'.

So, maybe the bootloader thinks I am S=off, but the loaded OS doesn't think I am rooted? Is this because I am loading the stock Glacier / myTouch 4g rom?

Once I temproot with Visionary I can use Titanium.

It's been this way for about a month. After trying the steps I laid out in my previous post about 3 more times, I gave up and have been using Visionary for my root-access needs. Now that the CM7 'final' is out, I am considering trying that out. I'll post whether I get CM7 working or not.

Kinsanell

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ahhhhh. Love xda, but no dice on this root-proof thing. 2.3.4, bootloader 89.0005 AND S-ON. Nothing but "permission denied" with su, both with Terminal Emulator and adb.

mjneid

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Ahhhhh. Love xda, but no dice on this root-proof thing. 2.3.4, bootloader 89.0005 AND S-ON. Nothing but "permission denied" with su, both with Terminal Emulator and adb.

as of currently there is no root procedure for 2.3.4. You must revert back to 2.2.x and root then load a ROM that has root permissions kitchen baked into the ROM.

So I've been trying to unroot using the terminal emulator and it is not working. Any suggestions?

If could be that you have a bad eMMC chip in your phone. There are two chipsets.

One is a know problematic chip and the other is a known less problematic chip.

If you cannot root with the root.sh variant it's extremely possible that you have a bad chip.

Hey guys, I pretty much all of the instructions down however the link to download the root file, seems to be for windows pc's only. I have only Mac's in my house. Is there anywhere I can get the root file as a dmg? I have searched and I couldn't find anything on it.

I realized I had to download an app that would extract the files on my mac. I get superuser permission and I go through the prompts in terminal. But then when I reboot with volume and power button I keep getting S-ON. Ive been trying all day to no avail. Not sure wat I'm doing wrong now.

actually you do not even need a PC to do this process.

You can download Terminal [ https://market.android.com/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&feature=search_result ]

Then install VISIONary.apk [ http://forums.androidcentral.com/my...ught-iced-glacier-phone-need-oem-rom-now.html ]

Then install Astro File Manager [https://market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astro&feature=search_result]

after those are installed download the root.sh packet []MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
after you do that you will navigate to the download folder and extract the folder to the root of your SD card.

Then you will run VISIONary.apk making sure Set System to R/W and Run VISIONary.sh are both checked.

then just go to the terminal emulator and do the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

JasenMinus

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Guessing no one has been here in a long while, but does anyone know of anyway that I can downgrade to 2.1 to root again?

I cant get ADB set up on my Win7 Laptop for some odd reason. Im thinking of doing it on Ubuntu but I dont want to screw up.

bdsic

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I watched 3 different youtube videos following instructions and couldnt get it, I did this and it worked perfect, first try, thanks!!

Syer One

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Extra frustrated...

Terminal Emulator Method
3a. Start terminal emulator up on your device.(I prefer this method b/c you can see the output.)

a. type "su" + enter to gain root privileges.

b. Type "cd /sdcard/root" + enter.

c. Type "sh root.sh" + enter.

d. Follow the on screen prompts.

I ran this after DL'ing the files listed above to no avail, root doesn't seem to stick. Also, phone almost re-boots itself after Temprooting with Visionary. Running 2.2.1, Software Number 1.17.531.2. Any help will be appreciated!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa