Forgive me Microsoft, for I am weak....

Gurggles

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
....and I need apps/live tiles that give me the stuff I want.

I have been a devote windows phone user since the HTC Titan. Currently I am using a Lumia 920 (AT&T user). I love the hardware, but the Windows Phone market is too bare. Now I am thinking of getting an Android. I have been looking at the GS4, Note 3, HTC One, and Moto X (a wooden phone?!). Please Android Central Community, help me choose my first Android phone.

What I want:
Good Camera (who doesn't?)
Qi wireless charging
Prefer 32 GB (or expansion slot)
From what I can tell, the GS4 seems to be my best option

I love live tiles, but I am finding them unfulfilling of late (first world problems, right?). I play games a few times a week on my phone, and take plenty of photos. I play a lot of music and podcasts in car using bluetooth. If there is a great app I should be using please speak up!

Thank you to everyone, I apperciate your help and support during this difficult time ;)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to posting in the forums!

GS4 is a great phone and I really like mine. HOWEVER, I want a Note 3 so bad I can almost feel it in my grubby little hands, so it's hard to not recommend that. To many, the HTC One, Moto X, and LG G2 are the best phones out but I'm Samsung guy.

Gurggles

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I have been in WPcentral for a while. Hopefully Daniel and Jay won't be too upset if I start posting from this forum :p Has anyone found an option to use the flip cover and a qi charger? I really do not want to give up on my qi chargers!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
....and I need apps/live tiles that give me the stuff I want.

I have been a devote windows phone user since the HTC Titan. Currently I am using a Lumia 920 (AT&T user). I love the hardware, but the Windows Phone market is too bare. Now I am thinking of getting an Android. I have been looking at the GS4, Note 3, HTC One, and Moto X (a wooden phone?!). Please Android Central Community, help me choose my first Android phone.

What I want:
Good Camera (who doesn't?)
Qi wireless charging
Prefer 32 GB (or expansion slot)
From what I can tell, the GS4 seems to be my best option

I love live tiles, but I am finding them unfulfilling of late (first world problems, right?). I play games a few times a week on my phone, and take plenty of photos. I play a lot of music and podcasts in car using bluetooth. If there is a great app I should be using please speak up!

Thank you to everyone, I apperciate your help and support during this difficult time ;)

Welcome to the forums!
Both Samsung devices should support SD cards. However, Since you are on AT&T, I would take advantage of the Moto Maker exclusivity and get a custom Moto X. I am highly intrigued by the device anyway. I think the only area it may fail you is in the camera, but I am of the opinion that so long as you aren't going to put those pictures on prints, it may not really matter.

Like Haalcyon, I too am a Samsung guy, but I am rooting for other manufacturers to step up to the plat and bring awesome phones. Honestly, if I were to upgrade now (and due to Sprint introducing their one up plan, I might be able to) I would probably pick the Moto myself.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome! There's some good devices out right now, you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AC Forums mobile app

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I am also ditching MSFT and my Titan WP. The fact that they did not find a way to get wp8 on my wp7.5 device was a hard blow. WP8 had some nice features and I am not sure why more of them could not make it to 7.x devices. All we got was the damn tile sizes. Really? My phone was only a year old but apparently out of date. I was okay with not having all the apps available, but this is 2013 and I want more out of my phone than I did in 2011. I will be getting the Note 3 in about a month or maybe sooner if there are any sales. My HTC Titan was $0.01 on a thanksgiving sale. I hope they do something similar again. IIRC they had a day of $0.01 all WP deals, then a day $0.01 of select android deals.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am also ditching MSFT and my Titan WP. The fact that they did not find a way to get wp8 on my wp7.5 device was a hard blow. WP8 had some nice features and I am not sure why more of them could not make it to 7.x devices. All we got was the damn tile sizes. Really? My phone was only a year old but apparently out of date. I was okay with not having all the apps available, but this is 2013 and I want more out of my phone than I did in 2011. I will be getting the Note 3 in about a month or maybe sooner if there are any sales. My HTC Titan was $0.01 on a thanksgiving sale. I hope they do something similar again. IIRC they had a day of $0.01 all WP deals, then a day $0.01 of select android deals.

Black Friday sales are starting to become common. The S3 was $50 one year when it was pretty new.

Sent from a 4.3 Slim S3 using the AC forums app

Gurggles

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I understood to a certain extent to why 7.0 did not get a full up date but it was an awful move nonetheless. I eel there have been too many promises but not regular updates. I am not a huge google user but I still am glad to be able to use xbox music or skydrive.

I am now torn between a note 3 and gs4. I love the notes size and future proofing but I cannot imagine using the Pen S (hehehe, I know it's the s pen) enough to justify the price difference. If I could get qi back with a s view flip cover I would be set on which to get. Oddly it seems it is not sold in the US. What is the most preferred music player on android? I only know of double twist.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Like Jerry said, the SPen is the main feature of the Note, if you won't use it then there are cheaper options for large screen phone (at non-subsidized price).

You said you take pictures a lot so something with great camera is a must. The Galaxy S4 and LG G2 are among the best for Android right now, as well as the Sony Z1. The HTC One takes good low light photo, but not comparable when it come to daytime and getting highest details. Moto X camera while its not bad after software fixes, its just not going to be good enough.

MicroSD card is a fading feature now and not a lot manufacturers offer it. You're safe with MicroSD if you stick with Samsung. The Sony Z1 and Korean version of LG G2 also have it.

For Qi charging I'm not too aware in this area. Only the S4 from what you listed have it, and most probably the Note 3, but you have to buy a Qi compatible back cover. Current and newer Google Nexus phones will definitely have it too.

From the requirements that you listed, only the S4 satisfy them all. My only gripe with Samsung is their build quality has been really poor lately which is why I have been avoiding them, maybe they are trying to change that with their new "F" series (this is a rumor only). This is just my opinion after being a long time Samsung fan, but you can buy extra protections for the device.

I recommend waiting for the next Google Nexus device to release before making the jump as well. You like Windows phones which has a clean and smooth interface, the stock Android experience might compliment that. Again I am bias here since I use a Nexus.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome! My friend is always complaining about the Windows Store and how the app selection is bare bones.

If you decide to get a Qi capable phone and buy the back door for the device if required check out the Tylt Vu Qi Charger.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Gurggles

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Eclipse, I really love hockey (BLACKHAWKS!!!!) and was really frustrated with the hockey apps on WP. Most of the sport apps are awful.

I ended up purchasing a Note 2 from eBay for $300. I wish I would have waited :/ The phone too large to use in the car. I use my phone as my main music/podcast player and GPS. The Note is perfect for one of those. I might try and flip this for a smaller phone, its just too damn big.