Nexus 4 - Franco Kernel, my experience

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Finally decided to try this popular Kernel after reading about it for ages here and there, on my N4 4.4.2, with these amazing results, light usage with some whatsapp, skype, firefox, bbc, dailymail, couple videos and some youtube. Brightness on Auto adjust.

I7ZS5lI.png

Qlf1pwX.png

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Franco Kernel, my experience

It is. Not like it has a negative effect on performance or anything. Maybe they need new software engineers...

Posted via Android Central App

I mean I've undervolted by 100mv with no bad effects and NY phone runs cooler and therefore has less thermal throttling.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I'd say Google does an okay job with their kernel which actually have minimum cpu speed lock at 900mhz, it have a good compromise between speed and battery life, except for the ridiculous low cpu temperature throttling. It really depends on your settings, someone with the same setup could get bad battery life. I can't imagine getting 5hrs if I play games or do intensive tasks.

I get 4hrs of battery life with stock kernel, but I remove most junk apps and use Greenify. The thing Google need to fix is more on the OS, like tissues with wakelock and background processes eating battery, doesn't matter what Android forum you're in, this topic pops up.

Since you have franco kernel, I recommend installing TouchControl to enable swipe2wake and sleep module if you haven't tried that, it will embarress the LG G2. Some kernels have the feature built-in, but out of all of them most have issues with the touchscreen becoming unreponsive forever and had to reboot, there is only one kernel for the N4 I know this without the bug.

You should try TricksterMOD if you haven't, it's one of the best app for changing kernel settings.

Last edited:

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Since you have franco kernel, I recommend installing TouchControl to enable swipe2wake and sleep module if you haven't tried that, it will embarress the LG G2. Some kernels have the feature built-in, but out of all of them most have issues with the touchscreen becoming unreponsive forever and had to reboot, there is only one kernel for the N4 I know this without the bug.

I was going to, but the comments in the store put me off, many users with issues having to restore the OS and other problems.. idk, I thought this was already a feature of franco tbh before I installed it.

I'm gonna give this a try also:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...oid-phone-faster-and-its-battery-last-longer/

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I was going to, but the comments in the store put me off, many users with issues having to restore the OS and other problems.. idk, I thought this was already a feature of franco tbh before I installed it.

I'm gonna give this a try also:

Android Run Time: An Easy Hack To Make Your Phone Faster And Its Battery Last Longer - Forbes
You can use TricksterMod to enable s2w and s2s features if your kernel have it. I'm using AK kernel which have doubletaps as well, but it's affected by the unresponsive screen bug for now if sweeps are turned on.

I think you should simply enable ART, it really transform Android into something smoother and more reponsive, but don't make the conclusion immediately, use it for a day and you will feel the effect, you will feel it more if you set the animation speed to 0.5x or lower. I don't see a difference in battery life though. It is not a hack, and this article explains it better (sorry having to post a competing site link).

Last edited:

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

ART: I have this on now, everything seems ok so far and apps feel more responsive and faster to start up. Will post battery results later when it's drained.

S2W: Installed TouchControl (Free) and it seems to be working so far, I hope it won't brick my Nexus whenever I reboot ><

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm getting very good screen on time with the AK Kernel version KK242, I'm not using the N4 as my daily driver, so this result isn't realistic since mobile signal is off, but I'm still impressed. Should be able to get 4 hours+ with mobile signal on.

Attachments

• akkernelscreenon.png
    akkernelscreenon.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I'm getting very good screen on time with the AK Kernel version KK242, I'm not using the N4 as my daily driver, so this result isn't realistic since mobile signal is off, but I'm still impressed. Should be able to get 4 hours+ with mobile signal on.

Jesus Christ that's high

Leart369

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

this is amazing, i get with stock 4.4.2 3-3.5h of screen time,
i'm gonna root my nex4 as soon as possible :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk