Choosing the Nexus 5X over the Nexus 6P

Merkaz_5

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why did you buy or why are you considering the 5X over the 6P?

I'm coming from a Nexus 4, and really like the specs of the Nexus 5x. What worries me is the 32gb storage with no expansion :-{

Posted via the Android Central App

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

I'm coming from a Nexus 4, and really like the specs of the Nexus 5x. What worries me is the 32gb storage with no expansion :-{

How did you fare with the limited storage of Nexus 4?

If you were able to last 3 years on 16GB, assuming you bought it during the launch period, then 32GB should serve you fine.

Google Photos will save you some space. And I think there are less pre-loaded apps around this time.

Merkaz_5

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Talk about bloatware! There's a dozen pre-loaded Google apps in the Nexus 4... with the defunct Currents, Google+ and Chrome at a whopping 66.67mb.

I'm a retired photographer, and I just keep deleting pix, as well as apps that are no longer relevant. The N4 with Lollipop is very good, but it is only 16g.

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

I did order the 5x.

A little backstory -- I've been with Moto for over 5 years, and in general I love what they are doing, but as much as I try I just cannot go with the larger phone. Some of that is because of my job. Working in pretty tight spaces and being "on call" for immediate response the entire time I need quick one-handed usability. I've given serious consideration to the Moto X PE, and my wife has an N6... I just can't make that size work for me.

On the other hand, the 5x is a bit of a "meh" purchase, but I will enjoy having something new. While nothing about it is overly compelling to me, it's more a situation of there being nothing better at the moment. For what is it, I don't think it's an amazing price. The type-C connector will be nice, but will also require I pick up at least one, and probably two, new chargers that as of yet nothing else can use. I'd have felt better with a little more RAM and storage, we'll see how this holds up over two years. I'd also had my heart set on front stereo speakers, so mentally going backwards on that is a little disappointing. The screen and battery will (should?) be fine but obviously nothing groundbreaking there.

The stuff I'm legitimately looking forward to: fingerprint sensor, camera, quick updates.

The more I think about it, I'm really going to miss Moto. The styles available in Moto Maker are *really* nice, and the Assist stuff is really well done. Ahh well, time to move on I guess!

Last edited:

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

All about the physical size for me. Phablets aren't my thing. I'll sacrifice what's under the hood, which I'm sure I would never notice with my day to day use anyway, for a more manageable device. The price is a consideration too.

ryzilla23

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

I did order the 5x.

A little backstory -- I've been with Moto for over 5 years, and in general I love what they are doing, but as much as I try I just cannot go with the larger phone. Some of that is because of my job. Working in pretty tight spaces and being "on call" for immediate response the entire time I need quick one-handed usability. I've given serious consideration to the Moto X PE, and my wife has an N6... I just can't make that size work for me.

On the other hand, the 5x is a bit of a "meh" purchase, but I will enjoy having something new. While nothing about it is overly compelling to me, it's more a situation of there being nothing better at the moment. For what is it, I don't think it's an amazing price. The type-C connector will be nice, but will also require I pick up at least one, and probably two, new chargers that as of yet nothing else can use. I'd have felt better with a little more RAM and storage, we'll see how this holds up over two years. I'd also had my heart set on front stereo speakers, so mentally going backwards on that is a little disappointing. The screen and battery will (should?) be fine but obviously nothing groundbreaking there.

The stuff I'm legitimately looking forward to: fingerprint sensor, camera, quick updates.

The more I think about it, I'm really going to miss Moto. The styles available in Moto Maker are *really* nice, and the Assist stuff is really well done. Ahh well, time to move on I guess!

Heh, I'm in a similar boat to you! My wife and I both have Moto X's(2013) and phone sizes have just been creeping up and up. I can't bring myself to jump to a 5.7" phone, be it the Moto Play or N6P.

While the 5X is certainly an upgrade from the Moto X 2013, it's still pretty underwhelming. I have 2GB RAM, 32GB storage, and some awesome gesture features (I use the camera gesture daily) on my old phone.

All I am really gaining from the N5 is a new SoC, a Fingerprint sensor, and a Better(?) camera (it had better be a better camera); that is kind of a bummer. Especially considering that I am paying more for this nexus than I did for the developer edition Moto X.

What drove me to pull the trigger on the N5X though is the smaller size, promise of updates, lack of meaningful competition in the price bracket, Google FI support.

Google Fi support is the only real reason I am making the jump now instead of waiting. It doesn't seem that other phones are going to have Fi support and I live in an area where cell reception is poor. The Wifi calling is a huge boon to me while being at a significantly lower price than any competitor.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

I already have a larger phone (iPhone 6s Plus) so this one fills 2 needs in my life: Android and smaller form factor.

Plus, I loved the Nexus 5 and been hoping they'd give us an updated one ever since last year. Now that they did, I'm all over it. The better camera, larger battery, and fingerprint scanner all are just a few of the reason why I bought this.

The 6P is really nice but I already have a camera with a top of the line camera and bigger size so the 5x is filling a different need.

dapoktan

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

I had my heart set on a smaller phone this time around after getting the OPO last year.. but I seem to getting the bad news in rounds, not at once..

first the lack of 240p slow motion and burst shot mode disappointed me because i like taking gadget shots like that for fun (and my golf swing!)... but I convinced myself that it wasnt a big deal..

then I found out it wasnt stereo speakers.. but I convinced myself that I wouldnt notice stereo fidelity anyways and that what was important was FRONT facing speakers..

Without wireless charging, at least quick charging would mitigate that issue.. but then I found out that its not a USB3.1 but a USB2.0.. so doesnt charge as fast as the Nexus 6P (let me know if this is wrong, still havent been able to get a straight answer)... but I'm still trying to convince myself that 10 min charge giving me 3.5hrs of power instead of 7hrs is still good..

but I dunno.. at some point I have to consider the 6P..... the price difference btwn the 32gb models of the 5x and 6p arent that big... ugh still struggling to make a decision

looking at size comparison charts.. the 5X is bigger than a iphone6S, and marginally smaller than my OPO.. and the 6P is marginally bigger than my OPO.. so now im wondering even how much smaller a phone it is..

chins22

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

Mainly 5.7" size vs. 5.2"
(Currently using 4.7" Nexus 4)

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Nexus 5X VS Nexus 6P: All The Differences To Help You Decide Which One To Pick

^ Article has a side-by-side table comparing the specs of the two.

Anyways, I would like to hear your thoughts.

That article, in some ways, shows everything that is wrong with those of us that post on these forums. We get too caught up in the specs of our devices. Ultimately, what matters is how a phone performs in day-to-day tasks. This phone is a Nexus that is promised two years of support from Google. This means that Google will be developing Android to make sure it works with at least 2 GBs of RAM (if not even lower with Android One still being in existence).

The 5x is a phone for the masses. This is a phone for people like us to recommend to our family and friends who are not big into phones. For example, this is a perfect phone for my wife. It's easy for me to recommend it for her because I know the support that it will get. I could recommend this phone to my parents who are the definition of tech illiterate.

If people look past the specs, you'll realize that this is a damn good phone. It appears to have a lightweight version of Android, a good camera, at least two years of updates (three for security), costs significantly less than most high end phones, and works on all major carriers in the USA. I'd say this is a great play by Google.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

This. I want Fi, finger print sensor, and a better camera in a phone I can put in my pocket. It's the 5X by elimination, not excitement.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
That article, in some ways, shows everything that is wrong with those of us that post on these forums. We get too caught up in the specs of our devices. Ultimately, what matters is how a phone performs in day-to-day tasks. This phone is a Nexus that is promised two years of support from Google. This means that Google will be developing Android to make sure it works with at least 2 GBs of RAM (if not even lower with Android One still being in existence).

The 5x is a phone for the masses. This is a phone for people like us to recommend to our family and friends who are not big into phones. For example, this is a perfect phone for my wife. It's easy for me to recommend it for her because I know the support that it will get. I could recommend this phone to my parents who are the definition of tech illiterate.

If people look past the specs, you'll realize that this is a damn good phone. It appears to have a lightweight version of Android, a good camera, at least two years of updates (three for security), costs significantly less than most high end phones, and works on all major carriers in the USA. I'd say this is a great play by Google.

I agree with all your points. That's how I feel about the 5X and that's why I'm buying it. I check out tech sites and post on forums like this occasionally (usually when I'm in the market for a new phone) but I'm not a "power user" and I'm not obsessed with specs for the sake of specs. I just want an affordable phone with some practical features that works and will continue to work, and I'm looking forward to trying out pure Android.

Merkaz_5

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Friends, I've been out of touch with the Forum for many months. It is good to be back. In coming weeks, I'll decide between the Oneplus 2 and the Nexus 5x.

I really don't want a phone that is larger than 5.2". And, I'm sort of addicted to how good the Nexus 4 feels in my hand, with a slim case.

Also, I'm looking forward to dual front facing speakers. Anyhow, thanks for your input.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Friends, I've been out of touch with the Forum for many months. It is good to be back. In coming weeks, I'll decide between the Oneplus 2 and the Nexus 5x.

I really don't want a phone that is larger than 5.2". And, I'm sort of addicted to how good the Nexus 4 feels in my hand, with a slim case.

Also, I'm looking forward to dual front facing speakers. Anyhow, thanks for your input.

5x only has one speaker :(

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

My Smart Phone History:

Samsung Instinct (yuck) --> Palm Pre (EPIC WIN) --> Galaxy Epic (nice!) -- Galaxy S2 (okay, why is this dying so fast?) --> GS3 (pretty good, wait, no signal, dead battery, I need three batteries to get through a day? NO) --> Moto X (so much win!) --> Nexus 5 ( base android, crap battery) --> N6.......

Okay, I got caught up in the Phablet craze. I figured, these are great phones. They rock. This is awesome. 6 months later; I am so sick of carrying this damn brick. It doesn't fit in my scrubs. It's bulky as hell in my front jeans pocket. It's uncomfortable to drive with this brick in my back pocket. I hate this phone.

Maybe it was the stupid shape. It was perfect for the Moto X. Well, the Moto X is perfect. The N6 and phablets in general, I find to be aggravating.

N5X for me.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

imo the only major downside the 5X has over the 6P is the LCD vs AMOLED.

Merkaz_5

May 14, 2013
Visit site

N5x weighs 136 gr, and that's less than my N4. If it has only one front facing speaker, that's OK - so long as it's a good one ;-)

Merkaz_5

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Hope I have this right: aren't the Amoled colors a bit over saturated, like on Samsung screens? I think that LCD is easier on the eyes.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

5x only has one speaker :(

I don't get why people are so hung up on this. If I'm remembering correctly, one of the "hands on" articles from the event yesterday said that the speaker was "insanely" loud. As long as the quality is halfway decent (remember, it's a phone and not a Bose surround sound system), I don't really see what the huge benefit is of two speakers versus one on a phone. I'm no expert (and correct me if I'm wrong), but surely the average ear does not even notice that audio is coming out in stereo when the speakers are not even 5 inches apart.