problem with connecting to a computer

Slowhite03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
im having trouble connecting my 5x to my computer. it wont recognize the phone at all. ive tried to find the allow media transfer in settings but with no luck
when i plugged it into my car it gave me a popup to allow the usb to charge only or allow media transfers. i dont get that pop up when i plug it into my computer and i was wondering if somebody could help me figure out how to find that option. thanks in advance

Tumultus

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried a different USB port on your PC? If you have multiple cables available, try a different USB cable as well.

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Was it that you hadn't shoved the USB-C in hard enough?

The original charger cable goes in easy.. all the third party (A-C) ones I have tried you have to give a good hard shove to 'click' in place.

foxed me for a while as it will charge, but not allow data if its not clicked fully in.

Slowhite03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
No, I'm at work so I haven't tried it but when you plug in a USB and the swipe down there is a notification for USB and if you tap for more options it allows you to pick if you want to just charge it or allow it to transfer files.
I really don't want to have to do this every time but it doesn't take that long if that's the case

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Oh.. I thought when you said popup in post 1 that's what you meant! sorry I could have helped there.

I've never seen an actual popup of the options!, I always use the notification menu.. Out of interest do you have MIDI in the list of options?

TheEdge65

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Are you running Windows 10? Ahhhh screw it, I'll just post this anyway as it might help someone.

I was having trouble getting the 5X to show up as a device on my PC. I had USB debugging switched on in developer options and selected MTP protocol but no device shown? When I selected PTP the device would show up and I could see the storage, HOWEVER when I tried to transfer some MP3 files across from the PC to the phone I got an error message saying it was "disconnected" or some garbage like that.

Anyhoo, a little research on the interwebs informed me I might need the Windows media feature pack https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3010081 . Now I'm not sure if this is strictly true but I installed it anyway and rebooted the PC and VOILA ! no change :( .

It seems, if you are having this problem, that you need to go into the PC device manager and near the top of the "tree" look for ACER composite ADB device. I removed it, disconnected the phone and reconnected it and the PC was then able to fully read the file system on the phone and I could transfer files to it and of course it recognised the device when connected and MTP was selected in the USB option.

Hope that helps someone.

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
That Acer composite ADB device item suggests you had a different android device (an acer) installed before.. You shouldnt have that by default.

and yes having developer mode on would cause the ADB driver to be loaded.. which is probably the same driver for all devices, meaning it possibly thought you had the acer connected..

On a clean windows 10 I can confirm that the Nexus 5X "just works" as expected :)

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm at work so I haven't tried it but when you plug in a USB and the swipe down there is a notification for USB and if you tap for more options it allows you to pick if you want to just charge it or allow it to transfer files.
I really don't want to have to do this every time but it doesn't take that long if that's the case

I assume this is the case until someone with an app can create a forced default. THe new USB-C standard can do so many things that it makes sense to need a menu, but it should remember how you set it based on connection. Have you tried it again since selecting what you want? Maybe it does remember!

Slowhite03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
im on a mac and it doesnt remember, or atleast it didnt in my car. From what i can tell, on a mac at least, everytime you want to add or transfer something you have to select it when you plug it in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress