Nexus 5x Compatible Wired Headsets with inline mic and controls?

vegasdev

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Just got the 5x today, but my xiaomi piston 2 headset is very hard to plug in, and plays sound only 1 in 10 tries or so. I tried an iPhone headset which plugs in easily, but no volume control (as expected) and it works consistently. To be honest, I'm not sure if the phone's jack is the issue or if it's a headset compatibility issue with the xiaomi.

Can you recommend a quality pair of wired headsets compatible with the the Nexus 5x and that are able to control volume and also start/stop playback?

Thank you!

SagaciousB

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I just tried out my Nuforce NE-700m headphones today in my new Nexus 5X, and thought that the audio jack in the phone was broken. It didn't register that the headphones were plugged in, and kept playing music over the speakers.

When I got back to my desk, I tried several other pairs of headphones that were only 3-electrode connectors (no mic/button), and all worked fine. My friend had a pair of headphones with a mic that worked fine - I think default Apple buds. However, the +/- volume didn't work.

I found a workaround - if I hold down the button on the mic while plugging it in, it registers the headphones as plugged in. It must be some weird contact/circuit sensing thing specific with the NE-700m model, or that design in general. At least I have a workaround! Bummer, though, the button doesn't skip to the next song like it did with my Nexus 5 or other previous phones. :-\

vegasdev

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I just tried out my Nuforce NE-700m headphones today in my new Nexus 5X, and thought that the audio jack in the phone was broken. It didn't register that the headphones were plugged in, and kept playing music over the speakers.

When I got back to my desk, I tried several other pairs of headphones that were only 3-electrode connectors (no mic/button), and all worked fine. My friend had a pair of headphones with a mic that worked fine - I think default Apple buds. However, the +/- volume didn't work.

Yes my experience with 5x is exactly the same. Android compatible headset don't work when plugged and sound plays over the speaker. iPhone headset works except volume controls. I've tried several other headset's without volume controls and they seem to be detected and play sound. I've also noticed that the volume is very low on all headsets.

Do you think this is a manufacturing defect and that we should exchange the phone?

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
this is why I use Bluetooth headsets instead. the control always work with them.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kt729

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Perfect. Picking up a pair of Android Dual Drivers from the shopus.degausslabs site. Satisfaction guaranteed for 14 days! Thanks for the tip on these!

edd247

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I have this same issue with my Nexus 6P and Xiaomi Piston 2, the sound does not switch to the headphones unless I plug in slowly, but it rarely works this way. The workaround works by holding one of the buttons while plugging in, but then none of the buttons work and neither does the mic

vegasdev

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Ok, my search and research into this has continued. I actually RMA's my first Nexus 5x and got another one because the first jack felt so tight and seemed to me it could be a manufacturing defect, Unfortunately the headset jack problems were worse on the second 5x, though it wasn't quite as stiff as the first phone. (I'm feeling that perhaps google cut some corners on the jack quality as they did on the rest of the phone)

Here's some results from my testing on a number of different headsets.

Bose SoundSport designed for Samsung - WORKS! Actually the first pair I got to work on the 5x for all controls when plugged in normally. No sketchiness, they just work as expected on all controls. They are however $129 and I still prefer my old pistons for noise isolation and comfort.

Xiaomi Piston 2 - FAIL. On my first 5x it only worked sporadically if plugged in very slowly/gently. Very occasionally the start/stop/volume buttons would actually work. On the second 5x they never work. When a button is held down and plugged in only the sound works on second 5x(did not test on first 5x).

Brainwavz Jive - FAIL (they actually worked fully as long as the cable was not moved. If you move the cable there is static sound from movement. When placed in my pocket the stop button was triggered after a few steps in your pocket while walking. Not really a fan of the controller/fit/quality.

Skull Candy Strum - FAIL. Volume was VERY low on these and sound quality questionable. Even at max volume I could hardly hear a podcast. Other than that they did control volume, though with a slider and the controller is terrible.

A couple of questions:

- Has anyone tried the Sennheiser CX 5.00G (Galaxy/LG/Android version)? I wonder if this version might work since it's designed for Galaxy/LG just as the Bose are.

- AdamAdam99 which Sennheiser 3 button for android did you try that failed? Sennheiser has many different headsets that support android headsets both current and last generation.

- Has anyone tried the newer Xiaomi Piston 3?

P.S. Android headsets compatibility is pure chaos...

vegasdev

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
To follow up, I ended up purchasing the Sennheiser CX 5.00G (Galaxy/LG/Android version), and all buttons including volume work fine, and they excellent in all aspects. I'm very happy with them.

ratseven

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Kt729

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
The Degauss Dual Driver headphones were nice for a while, but recently have begun only working sporadically. Working is defined as hearing any sound, and when I am able to hear sound, the volume and middle buttons typically do not work. Very disappointed. These are far too expensive to only work 2 months.

Posted via the Android Central App

poolis

May 9, 2013
Visit site
FYI - my Galaxy S3 earbuds with mic and in-line controls started working after the Jan '16 OTA. Previously they had not worked correctly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non