Poor MMS picture quality?

ibikeiruniswim

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed a difference in MMS picture quality since switching the 5X?
I just did a little test sending two pics from an old iphone to my Moto X14 and emailed myself the pic and it looks great. Then I popped my sim out of the Moto X into the 5x, sent myself the same pic from the old iphone, emailed it and compared the results. When I open the pics in photoshop the one received by my Moto X are 1080x810 and the ones received by my 5X are 520x390. Carrier is Verizon build is MDA89E because I can't get the update.
See for yourself. Note they appear the same size until you notice you can click on the one sent to the MotoX and its much larger.
motox a.jpg
nexus a.jpg

I also just noticed when uploading them that the pics received by my 5X are both exactly 53.8 KB and the pics received by my Moto X14 are 149.3KB and 229.1KB.

Last edited:

ibikeiruniswim

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Google Messenger.
I stopped in Verizon on my home and spoke to two reps who were surprisingly helpful (both had a Nexus 6P) and they had no idea. We even tested sending a pic from one of their phones to both my phone and the other guy and had the same results as my test.
I'm also not recieving videos sent out via mms that other people in the group are receiving. It's like my phone won't reveive anything more than 58KB.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Google Messenger.
I stopped in Verizon on my home and spoke to two reps who were surprisingly helpful (both had a Nexus 6P) and they had no idea. We even tested sending a pic from one of their phones to both my phone and the other guy and had the same results as my test.
I'm also not recieving videos sent out via mms that other people in the group are receiving. It's like my phone won't reveive anything more than 58KB.

Have you tested with a different messaging app like Textra?

ibikeiruniswim

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I actually exclusively use Textra. When I noticed the problem I switched to google messenger but had the same results.
After reading that other thread about MMS not downloading I'm going to fiddle with the APN settings and see if that helps.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I actually exclusively use Textra. When I noticed the problem I switched to google messenger but had the same results.
After reading that other thread about MMS not downloading I'm going to fiddle with the APN settings and see if that helps.

Keep us posted on how that goes.

hoott

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Any update on this I'm having the same issue. I've tried different messenger apps, safe mode, adjustment of APN, clear cache. Only thing I haven't tried is factory reset without restoring apps but would like to leave that as a last resort option. I'm on T-Mobile by the way. I've also eliminated the possibility of it being related to the sender. It would be nice to avoid mms but most people still use it as the main way to quickly share pictures.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Any update on this I'm having the same issue. I've tried different messenger apps, safe mode, adjustment of APN, clear cache. Only thing I haven't tried is factory reset without restoring apps but would like to leave that as a last resort option. I'm on T-Mobile by the way. I've also eliminated the possibility of it being related to the sender. It would be nice to avoid mms but most people still use it as the main way to quickly share pictures.

I am on Tmo too.

Just asked someone to send a pic to me. It came through at 768x1024 (90kb). I need to ask them what size the original was....

ibikeiruniswim

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
No update except I discovered pics sent to my google voice number look great compared to my verizon number so maybe it is a carrier issue. All my APN settings seem like they are correct. I may try a factory reset later today. If that doesn't fix it maybe a new sim from big red will do the trick.
VZW #: 0MP 360x480 41KB
verizon.jpg
GVoice #: 2MP 1200x1600 854KB
gvoice.jpg

hoott

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Well I called T-Mobile to check if they had anything they could do on their end, but all they did was go through my APN settings which were already correct. I'm going to go to a physical T-Mobile retailer and maybe try my sim card in another phone. If that doesn't do it I'll factory reset. I'll try to update soon. In the meantime lets try and find common variables between the people having this issue.
-Did you use the automatic transfer option when setting up the phone or did you manually setup "from scratch"?
-Maybe we should compare the apps we have installed.

hoott

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm I've quadruple checked my mmsc settings for T-Mobile and still haven't had much luck. It also seems to be hit and miss. My sister who is also on T-Mobile and has a 5x sent me a screenshot that came in at ~430kB but this morning I got a picture from someone else and it was back to ~40kB. This is getting old really quick...maybe I should try Google support as well.

hoott

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Just a quick update. I tried a factory reset and the issue still persists. I seem to have confirmed my suspicion that picture sent from fellow T-Mobile users seem to come in fine, but other providers get the downscale treatment. I have yet to contact Google but it seems like that's my next step.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick update. I tried a factory reset and the issue still persists. I seem to have confirmed my suspicion that picture sent from fellow T-Mobile users seem to come in fine, but other providers get the downscale treatment. I have yet to contact Google but it seems like that's my next step.

Weird. My daughter is on Sprint with an iPhone 6 and her pics to me come in bigger than 40kb....

pursuit2550

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I just did what ibikeiruniswim did and now I get the full picture file. I was getting smaller file pictures and it was poor quality. At first I just added the MMSC extension and it did nothing. I went ahead and did a reboot and its working perfect now. I am on VZW.

pursuit2550

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
i have this issue on my 5X on Sprint. i dont have any options for APN or MMSC setting though

Go to settings. Click on More. Then click on Cellular Network. Click on Access Point Names(APN). VZWINTERNET should be selected. Click on the name, not on the dot. Scroll down and you will see MMSC. Type in what on the post above, hit the 3 dot on the top corner and click save.

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings. Click on More. Then click on Cellular Network. Click on Access Point Names(APN). VZWINTERNET should be selected. Click on the name, not on the dot. Scroll down and you will see MMSC. Type in what on the post above, hit the 3 dot on the top corner and click save.

I'm on Sprint. The only options under Cellular Network are Data Roaming, Preferred Network Type, System Select and Carrier Settings. Under Carrier Settings the options are Update PRL and Update Device Config

pursuit2550

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Sprint. The only options under Cellular Network are Data Roaming, Preferred Network Type, System Select and Carrier Settings. Under Carrier Settings the options are Update PRL and Update Device Config

Sorry then bud. Don't know anything about Sprint. Didn't know that the settings are different for carriers. I figured since its one phone for all then it would be the same.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89