Helium not restoring text messages, has something changed with 6.0?

AIM9x

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I was able to get helium to link to my nexus 5x, and I did a restore from my old galaxy s5's backup. The call logs transferred just fine, but I don't see my old text messages anywhere. I'm fairly certain my technique was correct, as I have done backups and restores on a galaxy s5 using the same procedure. Is there anything that needs to be done differently to get texts to properly restore on a nexus 5x? Do they get restored to a different location than the stock messenger application?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Helium certainly has not been updated for 6 and I'm not convinced it will be. After early success moving my stuff from a (rooted) kitkat nexus 4 using helium to my 5x (not rooted), I have not been able to get helium to do anything useful on my 5x. That being said, I was able to copy my sms messages over from my n4. You do have to temporarily set helium as your default sms app.

"Kit-Kat SMS restore procedure

In Kit-Kat, Google has made it that only the default SMS app can write changes to the SMS folder. So to restore messages, Helium has to make itself the default SMS application, write the changes and then switch the default app back. The correct procedure is to allow Helium to become the default SMS app. It will change itself back after restore."

https://github.com/koush/support-wiki/wiki/Helium-Wiki

AIM9x

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, sir. I kept hitting no to the default SMS request, thinking helium was trying to be greedy, like many other apps that have tried to force users into using their expanded feature sets. Now I just feel dopey.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I've switched to the backup function of the nexus root toolkit (since we are talking about a nexus here). Wugfresh's software is always awesome and reliable in my experience.

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Here's a vote for Super Backup. It doesn't require root, requires no wired connection to enable non-root backup, allows automatic scheduling, and can upload backups via Drive or Gmail. I use it just for call logs and sms, but it can also backup bookmarks, contacts, and apps (backup of app data requires root).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty