How do you like your 5x? Regrets at all?

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I have had nothing but a smooth experience. I'd recommend to anyone and everyone. I really believe people are convincing themselves from reading the Internet too much and love to say "lag"! Lol ... Or there are two facilities making very different phones at different standards!??!!

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
pretty disappointed about the no sd card and wireless charging

I've only had mine for a few days (still setting it up) and I bought it with my eyes open. I knew I would miss the wireless charging... and I do. I read that Google decided to leave it out to keep costs down. They would have to charge $50 more for wireless charging! I have another issue with it that I posted about separately. With apps that scan bar codes like the Walgreen's app and the CVS app, the images in the scanning screen are inverted top to bottom and left to right which makes it virtually impossible to use that feature. I hope I'm just missing a new setting or something. The same apps work fine on the Nexus 5. Both are running Android 6.0.1. Sorry for the negativity.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
.... With apps that scan bar codes like the Walgreen's app and the CVS app, the images in the scanning screen are inverted top to bottom and left to right which makes it virtually impossible to use that feature. I hope I'm just missing a new setting or something. The same apps work fine on the Nexus 5. Both are running Android 6.0.1. Sorry for the negativity.
Google changed the camera app and developers must make changes to apps that access it. There aren't any settings you can make changes to.

tgjosund

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
1. How's the battery life on this one?
2. Is 2GB RAM any inconvenience, is it noticeable?
3. Any problems with Lollipop that are fixed in Marchmallow if anyone have a comparison?

ltlmh

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I came from the nexus 6p and the 6s before. The 6p is simply too big for me and felt limited with 6s ( battery life is mediocre but ios is smooth for general usage)

I have not experience any lag for the nexus 5x and find it a good balance between performance and size ( when compared to the 6p and 6s) no regrets !

Posted via the Android Central App

WontonSoup

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I had a 5x but the lock ups were starting to get very annoying. I ended up selling it and getting a 6p instead. I would have preferred they put that level of optimization into the 5x as well though. I would have kept it. It was plenty fast at some point but after a while it would just choke a lot for me. I still love the size though compared to 6p.

nat72sherman

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I just had this phone for 3 days and the bottom row where the app drawer is, the whole row is unresponsive. Had to restart. This is probably a bad sign.

smithy1983uk

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had the N5X since day 1 i do like the phone but there 2 things that has disappointed me

1. The screen is probably the biggest disappointment maybe i got spoiled by the AMOLED on the S5 it seems so dull and yellow at times
2. The battery life is poor even with light usage i am hovering around 30% at the end of the day i would dread it if i was a heavy user

I haven't had any problems with the performance of the phone being back on stock andriod has been great the touchwiz UI and random carrier bloatware on the S5 was terrible

red5ive1

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I regret that I didn't get a 6P. Overall, the 5X has been a laggy, stuttering mess for me. I was coming from a Nexus 5 and that was overall pretty smooth.

I love the fast charging though, and the camera is much improved over the 5.

randomized

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I regret it almost every day. The only problem is that the Nexus phones have always been extremely great for me in the past and there's no way in hell I'm switching to another Android phone. Can't switch to iPhone either because I love Project Fi too much. So I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do just yet.

This phone is extremely laggy. Apps like Snapchat are barely useful and I find myself having to force restart the phone every few days because of it becoming impossible to use. Seems like trying to use the phone while it's charging can be a huge PITA as well.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Now that it has made it through a work day with occasional use, I have no regrets. Everything is good or better than what I have had before in a phone. Cameras are great, love the screen, and so far, I find that I am charging every other day. Call quality is nice, watching videos is good too, even though there isn't stereo speakers. The cost of it hurt at first (this is my first experience paying $300 for a phone, since I'm not a flagship person), but that hurt went away as soon as I realized that I'm liking it a lot.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I just don't like it. The battery drains as badly as the Nexus 5 and not even 3 GB of RAM. I knew about the RAM going in, but I thought at least a new battery...

geolemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Lots of regrets, but that's the industry-wide trend of making wannabe-iPhones for tweens rather than to keep making phones that are satisfying for business professionals. At least the 5x isn't made out of metal (which blocks every kind of signal there is) like the other phone-as jewelry (rather than phone-as-functionality) phones that manufacturers want to insult consumers with.

Pros: I can use Google Fi. Pure Android that's not bloated down by manufacturers or carriers.

Cons: Coming from a Galaxy S5, I no longer have an OLED display, I have no more memory than my 2 year old phone had, I have no more storage than my 2 year old phone had. I no longer have the ability to swap out my "personal life" storage (on Micro SD) for a "work/travel" micro SD. I no longer have water resistance, which rules out carrying my phone as a camera on snowboarding and kayaking trips. I no longer have wireless charging (and HATE having uncoiled wires dangling across my desk, dresser, and car interior - I'm past "college dorm" years!). I no longer have the ability to pop in a fresh battery after a 5am flight, heavy navigation at a client's city, heavy calling and messaging to the home office, heavy entertainment use while waiting at airports and eating at restaurants, etc... I have to pack and carry around a Rube-Goldberg "battery on a dongle", and a cord - embarrassing carrying it, embarrassing juggling it in almost any context. It's even slightly larger than my S5 was, which is an issue for a man who carries a phone in his front pocket. It particularly makes motorcycle riding uncomfortable in many pants whose pockets aren't very deep, as it pokes you in the hip. Let's not forget to recognize that the more powerful phone I really want is the impractically large one - the size forced this purchase of the 5x.

It really is cheapened, featureless design all around - but such is the industry trend that nothing out there was even a sideways upgrade for my Galaxy S5. So - "Oh well, might as well try out Google Fi" as at least a redeeming quality.
Other than that, I wouldn't call it "regret" as that would imply there were good alternative choices.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87