Contacts keep deleting after few days, why??

Stevelath

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I've recently bought a Nexus 5X and really like it other than one big problem.. every few days I go into my messages & what's app and all my threads have deleted the contact names and I'm left with just the numbers. In the contacts they are still there but with no number info and only basic options. This is extremely frustrating!!

I imported all over Bluetooth from my old windows phone, which I was shocked actually worked!

I've heard of others having this issue too but found no answer to fix. I'm assuming it's something to do with something syncing.,!? Please help

Thanks all,
Steve

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like it my be a permissions issue if your contacts are still populated under contacts. A couple of things you can try or look at would be the permissions of your messaging and WhatsApp application. This is found in the settings, just do a search for app permissions and check that they have permissions to access contacts.

You can also reset app permissions by going into settings, apps, and clicking the hamburger menu, then selecting reset app permissions.

Hopefully one of these will work for you.

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
After reading through your issue again you might try transferring you contacts straight to Gmail by saving the old phones contacts as a vcf file and importing them into Gmail online. This should then have all your contacts synced with no issue.

Stevelath

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I don't think it's the app permissions as in the contacts list all the names have lost their phone number. So it's actually deleted everyone's phone number!

I'm not sure if I will be able to upload straight to gmail, as I'm not sure I can save them on old phone as a vcf?? I'll have a look though.

Thanks,
Steve

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Looking at the Microsoft support looks like you can use your Microsoft live account online and export your contacts to gmail by exporting them as CSV file. Gmail supports importing CSV files. It might loose some of the information or be missed ordered but it would work.

You can also add the outlook.com application and choose to sync contacts that way as well. Not sure if that would fix your problem but might be the quickest remedy.

Stevelath

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Looking at the Microsoft support looks like you can use your Microsoft live account online and export your contacts to gmail by exporting them as CSV file. Gmail supports importing CSV files. It might loose some of the information or be missed ordered but it would work.

You can also add the outlook.com application and choose to sync contacts that way as well. Not sure if that would fix your problem but might be the quickest remedy.

OK thanks for your help. I'm going to have to look into these options I think, this seems incredibly over complicated.. I mean I've managed to import all my previous contacts fine, I just need them to stay there and not decide to do a disappearing act!!

Don't get me wrong having all these syncing and backing facilities on these new smart phones is great but what happened to the days when contacts on your phone were just contacts and isolated from everything else! Lol.

Cheers,
Steve

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I am having similar issues on a Moto G4 and Pixel. I can import the contacts, and that works fine by syncing my outlook.com account, but if I make a change or add a new contact, it disappears after a few hours. Seems like the Contacts app can't save changes back to outlook.com

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Google Contact doesn't update with Outlook contacts. I believe it will import from Outlook only once and then they're independent. I keep my calendar on my phone and make no attempt to sync it with Outlook and the same for my contacts now, although I do manually update a few on the computer. I use Outlook now only for email.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
As an ex Windows Phone user myself I imported my contacts from an Outlook.com account them imported them into my Gmail account. This is a one time thing and they sync reliably from Google now. It might be worth a try.