Unknown Apps

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
This phone is awesome!

After the initial set up I suddenly noticed blank generic icons on my home screen and in folders labeled 'Unknown'. One of them used to say 'Play' when I first started the phone, then it switched to 'Unknown'. I selected it, got a message saying App could not be found would I like to search for it. Selected yes, then the Play store opened. Tried it on other icons but nothing worked.

Anyone know what's up with this?

Thanks!

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
This phone is awesome!

After the initial set up I suddenly noticed blank generic icons on my home screen and in folders labeled 'Unknown'. One of them used to say 'Play' when I first started the phone, then it switched to 'Unknown'. I selected it, got a message saying App could not be found would I like to search for it. Selected yes, then the Play store opened. Tried it on other icons but nothing worked.

Anyone know what's up with this?

Thanks!

That's how the phone sets up. If you selected 'use old profile' or whatever the option is called it take your last set up and sets it up that way. However you have to download some apps

Posted via the Android Central App

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...I actually set up a new phone but I just realized what this is. I stopped DL of a bunch of Google Apps. Those blank icons were probably placeholders. Interesting....must be a S'mores, I mean Marshmellow thing. Didn't see that on the Edge+.

Thanks.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm...I actually set up a new phone but I just realized what this is. I stopped DL of a bunch of Google Apps. Those blank icons were probably placeholders. Interesting....must be a S'mores, I mean Marshmellow thing. Didn't see that on the Edge+.

Thanks.

This is the new automatic setup assistant in Android 5.0 Lollipop | Android Central

Between this and Google Now Launcher, it's a lot easier to hit the ground (homescreen?) running than it was in the past.

:)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.
This is how the placeholders work
[Lollipop Feature Spotlight] Restoring Homescreen Apps From Another Device Brings Along Gray Placeholder Icons
Like said above, that could be placeholders but sometime your phone might backup an apps that might have been removed or not available in play store at all.

for example your launcher might have backed up a samsung app you placed on the home but those apps might not be available on play store and would show as unknown on restore on your nexus 6p.

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Understood, except nothing was backed up, and the 6P was set up as a new phone. Nothing was carried over from old phone. And when the phone first booted the icon for Play was there. I used it. Then a lot of apps started crashing so I rebooted. That's when the icon became generic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non