Anyone else worried?

NorCalStorm

Oct 31, 2009
www.twitter.com
I was thinking about it earlier today, but anyone else worried that this phone manufacturer was accused back in the day by the US government for stealing trade secrets? How do we know that the Chinese government didn't imbed something in the 6P to start pulling our confidential data?? Do you feel safe?

It's funny how we all forget but remember this? Accused of Spying, Huawei CEO Says Company Is "Exiting the US Market"

There had to be a reason? Right?

Just a thought that I wanted to share.

It's most likely nothing. I still kind of want one. Then I don't. I'm conflicted. The screen brightness is a deal breaker. I feel my N6 is brighter had s brighter screen when I compared it.

Okay I'm done pooping. End rant.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
No worries. With all the hacking going on these days, it's as likely that some random group will hack your phone as compared to the Chinese.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Even if this was a thing, which I doubt, the Chinese government doesn't care about anything I do with my phone.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
"U.S. House Intelligence Committee chairman Mike Rogers somewhat famously said last year that Huawei's products "cannot be trusted to be free of foreign state influence and thus pose a security threat to the United States and to our systems."

Considering what has happened in the meantime regarding the US and Snowden, I'd be more worried about OUR government spying on us. They have more reason to spy on us than the Chinese and have already been proven to be doing so, not just rumored. The worst part is when Mike Rogers said that he most likely knew full well that the US government was doing the same or worse to it's own people.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Doubtful they can spy on us through the phone with stock Android straight from Google. I could be wrong and in honesty I don't really care. If they want to see all the **** emojis I text to my buddies and see all the time I waste on Android Central they are unlikely to get any info to benefit Communist china.

Posted via the Android Central App

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Google is responsible for the software here, so if such a thing were happening, Google would know. I doubt the Chinese government is concerned with my usage of a smartphone. The US government, on the other hand, has admitted to spying on its own citizens. I see no reason to be fearful of Chinese spying if you're not concerned with the US government spying on you. Then again, that's what encryption is for :)

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I can see VZW using this as a rationale to ban the phones on their network and then head-up-our-arses Congress thinking its a great idea and passing sweeping legislation to ban all Chinese made phones when they need distraction from passing funding for a highway bill or approving a budget.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I love all the people that are willing to give up their rights with the ”I have nothing to hide” argument.

Whether or not you have something to hide isn't the point!

elfrocampeador

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
There is very little chance of anything being sketchy with the 6p... Google is responsible for the software, and almost all the hardware comes from other companies... That's kind of the funny thing about smartphones these days... They're practical lego brick devices on a hardware level except that the PCBs and shell are designed by the OEM. But they have nothing to do with the design or fabrication of the SoC or radio controllers/etc.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I love all the people that are willing to give up their rights with the ”I have nothing to hide” argument.

We don't have rights in China. You missed the point. We don't care if China sees our **** emojis.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I can see VZW using this as a rationale to ban the phones on their network and then head-up-our-arses Congress thinking its a great idea and passing sweeping legislation to ban all Chinese made phones when they need distraction from passing funding for a highway bill or approving a budget.

If they ban all phones made in China they might as well just ban smartphones then.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Perhaps, but I'd say there's no more to worry about with the Chinese government spying on us than with our own government. The US government has already been caught spying on us, along with their opposition to and trying to ban phone encryption, makes them a much more likely culprit in terms of spying on us.