Some observations on the switch from Samsung

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Coming from a Galaxy S5 and have had a few issues in the first days with the 6P.

1. No gallery app. I know this has been discussed before and that there are third-party apps. But, Google Photos is not a simple replacement. I really like Photos as a backup resource but don't think it's fully developed to just replace a gallery app yet. Also, no third-party apps I've tried are as simple and snappy as the gallery app.

2. The Samsung calendar app was much more intelligent for me in allowing me to one click on conference lines and get the extension in one click. No third-parry app I've tried can do it either.

3. Shutter sound on the camera is very annoying. I used macrodroid to get around it, but that's a very simple thing that Google could add. I like the Google camera app though. Nice and simple for quick, good photos. Also, burst shots are much better on the 6P.

4. I really liked the option to mute and do other things to an ongoing call directly in the notification bar with Samsung. I also miss the persistent on screen notifier when you're on a call but off the call screen.

5. It's minor but I hate the delay when I long press in a text box before I'm given the option to paste.

I still love this phone and could list all of the things that the 6P does so much better (Imprint is just fantastic).

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Galaxy S5 and have had a few issues in the first days with the 6P.

1. No gallery app. I know this has been discussed before and that there are third-party apps. But, Google Photos is not a simple replacement. I really like Photos as a backup resource but don't think it's fully developed to just replace a gallery app yet. Also, no third-party apps I've tried are as simple and snappy as the gallery app.

2. The Samsung calendar app was much more intelligent for me in allowing me to one click on conference lines and get the extension in one click. No third-parry app I've tried can do it either.

3. Shutter sound on the camera is very annoying. I used macrodroid to get around it, but that's a very simple thing that Google could add. I like the Google camera app though. Nice and simple for quick, good photos. Also, burst shots are much better on the 6P.

4. I really liked the option to mute and do other things to an ongoing call directly in the notification bar with Samsung. I also miss the persistent on screen notifier when you're on a call but off the call screen.

5. It's minor but I hate the delay when I long press in a text box before I'm given the option to paste.

I still love this phone and could list all of the things that the 6P does so much better (Imprint is just fantastic).

I came from a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge so i know exactly what you're talking about.

1. For the Gallery, try either Piktures (yes, it's spelled with a K) or F-stop. You'll have the ability to hide folders in either one and they are pretty simple, not as simple as the Samsung gallery, but close enough.

2. Calendar: Try Today Calendar (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....underwood.calendar_beta&hl=en&token=8thR7oSO). I've been using it for the past few days and I've already disabled the Google one to solely use this. It has a nice layout and a great widget.

As for points 3,4 and 5, Those never really bothered me so I never looked into it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That is the thing about vanilla android, it is very vanilla.

On my Nexus 5 I searched apk mirror and found an HTC Gallery that is close to the Samsung Gallery. I just searched for Gallery and several apps came up.

I'm still not really happy with any apps I've looked at to do what My Files does. I think with even a pure android device that is similar to my Note 5, my Note 5 would still be my daily driver. Vanilla Android is nice but it is a bit too vanilla for me.

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I came from a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge so i know exactly what you're talking about.

1. For the Gallery, try either Piktures (yes, it's spelled with a K) or F-stop. You'll have the ability to hide folders in either one and they are pretty simple, not as simple as the Samsung gallery, but close enough.

2. Calendar: Try Today Calendar (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....underwood.calendar_beta&hl=en&token=_bvwDvAo). I've been using it for the past few days and I've already disabled the Google one to solely use this. It has a nice layout and a great widget.

As for points 3,4 and 5, Those never really bothered me so I never looked into it.
Thanks! Piktures seems like a good replacement so far for me.

I liked the set up of Today Calendar (I also like the setup of Google Calendar), but it still doesn't support one-click calling for my conference lines.

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
That is the thing about vanilla android, it is very vanilla.

On my Nexus 5 I searched apk mirror and found an HTC Gallery that is close to the Samsung Gallery. I just searched for Gallery and several apps came up.

I'm still not really happy with any apps I've looked at to do what My Files does. I think with even a pure android device that is similar to my Note 5, my Note 5 would still be my daily driver. Vanilla Android is nice but it is a bit too vanilla for me.

I'll look into that. The problem is all of these apps, like the gallery apps, are mainly built to replace the gallery app already on most phones so there's no incentive for the app developer to make a basic app. Who would replace a basic Samsung Gallery with a basic third-party gallery? But there's a gap in the market because of the lack for these things on the Nexus line.

Same thing for the My Files apps. I can't find anything simple. They're all doing WAY too much.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've got a Note 4 right now.... can't wait to get rid of this thing. Gotta let a couple batches cycle through w/ this phone before I pick it up though.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'll look into that. The problem is all of these apps, like the gallery apps, are mainly built to replace the gallery app already on most phones so there's no incentive for the app developer to make a basic app. Who would replace a basic Samsung Gallery with a basic third-party gallery? But there's a gap in the market because of the lack for these things on the Nexus line.

Same thing for the My Files apps. I can't find anything simple. They're all doing WAY too much.

There are probably a lot of good apps out there, we just aren't familiar with them and aren't used to having to search for them. Pure android is really no frills and can be hard to get used to when you are used to the stock apps that many OEMs put on their phones.

They call it vanilla android for a reason..

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Piktures seems like a good replacement so far for me.

I liked the set up of Today Calendar (I also like the setup of Google Calendar), but it still doesn't support one-click calling for my conference lines.

I should note, i didn't disable the built in calendar just the notifications from it. If you actually disable the app itself, it won't synch.

itch808

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I had a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge before this and I HATED the stock Samsung gallery app. I used and now used the same QuickPic app. I will however say:

1) Miss Samsung Pay
2) Miss Samsung camera app, much better than Google's
3) Miss having easy access to "Groups" in my contacts, not built into google's stock contacts app
4) Miss Samsung's Calender app, especially their monthly view widget

This small negatives don't eliminate the positives of the 6P:

1) Freeeeedom! Unlocking
2) Unhindered updates
3) Speeeeed
4) Nexus Imprint amazing, /story
5) Great camera, FFC is pretty good too
6) Speakers are top notch
7) Did I mention how smooth this thing is?

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad I came in here to complain b/c that Piktures app looks legit. Downloading it now! Hopefully if I like it, that'll be my go to once I make the switch in late December.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I had a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge before this and I HATED the stock Samsung gallery app. I used and now used the same QuickPic app. I will however say:

1) Miss Samsung Pay
2) Miss Samsung camera app, much better than Google's
3) Miss having easy access to "Groups" in my contacts, not built into google's stock contacts app
4) Miss Samsung's Calender app, especially their monthly view widget

This small negatives don't eliminate the positives of the 6P:

1) Freeeeedom! Unlocking
2) Unhindered updates
3) Speeeeed
4) Nexus Imprint amazing, /story
5) Great camera, FFC is pretty good too
6) Speakers are top notch
7) Did I mention how smooth this thing is?

IMHO, Samsung Pay will not even be a missed feature by next year. Since Apple Pay came out, there are a lot of major retailers upgrading their terminals to support Apple pay and Android pay (since they use the same technology).

As for Calendar app, try out Today Calendar (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....underwood.calendar_beta&hl=en&token=6VpcCArC)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, Samsung Pay will not even be a missed feature by next year. Since Apple Pay came out, there are a lot of major retailers upgrading their terminals to support Apple pay and Android pay (since they use the same technology).

As for Calendar app, try out Today Calendar (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....underwood.calendar_beta&hl=en&token=eEs57F7l)

Samsung Pay is way different than Android Pay. Samsung Pay can be used around the world, not so with Android Pay.

And terminals in the US are required to be updated, or the company will be held responsible for any loss through hacks.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
"Starting today, retailers and small businesses who have not yet upgraded their credit card networks will be liable for any Visa, Discover or Mastercard credit card transaction that is fraudulent if the card is EMV-equipped. If fraud occurs when a magnetic stripe card is swiped at a chip-enabled terminal, the bank is still responsible for the fraud. American Express will transfer liability to business owners on Oct. 16."

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/credit-card-chip-rule/story?id=34148839

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
"Starting today, retailers and small businesses who have not yet upgraded their credit card networks will be liable for any Visa, Discover or Mastercard credit card transaction that is fraudulent if the card is EMV-equipped. If fraud occurs when a magnetic stripe card is swiped at a chip-enabled terminal, the bank is still responsible for the fraud. American Express will transfer liability to business owners on Oct. 16."

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/credit-card-chip-rule/story?id=34148839

This was pushed back. The credit card companies effed up on getting the new cards out to everyone on time. So this doesn't apply yet.

Posted via the Android Central App

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Pay is way different than Android Pay. Samsung Pay can be used around the world, not so with Android Pay.

And terminals in the US are required to be updated, or the company will be held responsible for any loss through hacks.

Again, I am not an apple fan but, since Apple pay was released, retailers even in different countries will be updating to accept that and because Apple Pay is using the same tech as Android Pay, that will be included.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
This is purely out of curiosity/intrigue, not a criticism what so ever, but what do other gallery apps do for you that the Google Photos app does not? I used to have an HTC one M8 and the htc gallery drove me insane. Horrible organization, folders hidden in the weirdest places, delays in pictures showing up in places I moved them to, outdated design, etc. I started using Google Photos when it became really fleshed out and it completely replaced all my gallery needs (folders, pinch to zoom organization, in app editing, auto backup, web client, etc).

Looking at the gallery apps mentioned above, they all look great, but what is it about a "gallery" app that you look for that google photos doesn't provide? The biggest thing for me is just having to make a few extra taps to get to device folders rather than seeing all my folders at the beginning.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This is purely out of curiosity/intrigue, not a criticism what so ever, but what do other gallery apps do for you that the Google Photos app does not? I used to have an HTC one M8 and the htc gallery drove me insane. Horrible organization, folders hidden in the weirdest places, delays in pictures showing up in places I moved them to, outdated design, etc. I started using Google Photos when it became really fleshed out and it completely replaced all my gallery needs (folders, pinch to zoom organization, in app editing, auto backup, web client, etc).

Looking at the gallery apps mentioned above, they all look great, but what is it about a "gallery" app that you look for that google photos doesn't provide? The biggest thing for me is just having to make a few extra taps to get to device folders rather than seeing all my folders at the beginning.

Lots.

With the Samsung Gallery, all my screenshots go in a screenshot folder, all my camera shots go in camera, all my Facebook pictures downloads go in a Facebook folder.. All automatically.

There is also a lot of editing that comes with the Samsung Gallery.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Lots.

With the Samsung Gallery, all my screenshots go in a screenshot folder, all my camera shots go in camera, all my Facebook pictures downloads go in a Facebook folder.. All automatically.

There is also a lot of editing that comes with the Samsung Gallery.

All of that happens automatically in the google photos app too though. I swipe to the left, go to device folders, and I see camera, screenshots, downloads, facebook, instagram, and a folder for every other photo app I have.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
All of that happens automatically in the google photos app too though. I swipe to the left, go to device folders, and I see camera, screenshots, downloads, facebook, instagram, and a folder for every other photo app I have.

No it doesn't all happen automatically that way and it is really, inferior to the Samsung Gallery. It is just not the same at all.

The Samsung Gallery is easier to deal with, if you open a screenshot from your notification screen it is going to open with the gallery app and your options are there.

Now for the Note 5, no way Google photos can replace the Samsung Gallery app. I've used the Samsung Gallery app for years and I also use Google Photo, and Google photo is much more of a mess. Now it is something we have to deal with more now. Before, my pictures went to my SD card and everything was nicely organized. Even pictures I remove from my phone and keep on Google Photo can be unorganized. It won't upload by album and it can be hard to find a picture.