Can I unlock the phone with only fingerprint?

jiangqiushi

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I set up both fingerprint and pattern on the phone. Everytime I unlock with my fingerprints, I still have to enter the pattern. Anyone know if I can skip the pattern input but unlock only with fingerprint?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
re:

It should only require the pattern on the first unlock attempt after turning on or rebooting the phone. Subsequent unlocks should only need your fingerprint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
re:

When you setup a Fingerprint it always ask for a backup... so you have to have some other security method to unlock (Pattern, PIN or Password). The device will ask for this secondary security after a reboot to unlock the device the first time... personally, even if you could remove it I would not do that, but that is me.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
re:

It should only require the pattern on the first unlock attempt after turning on or rebooting the phone. Subsequent unlocks should only need your fingerprint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Absolutely right

I think you can try some fingerprint lock app in play store.

For what purpose? Do you have a 6P and understand how it works and what the OP is asking?

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
re:

I only use fingerprint to unlock since it is so fast and convenient. I do have PIN set also but it only asks after powered off or a reboot. Only thing I would suggest is setting up fingerprints again as maybe it is not reading them properly so it is asking for a pin

Mittar Khalsa

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'd erase all recorded finger prints and start over. I can't find the setting of where to make it only ask for a pin after reboot, but I remember selecting that option when I first set up my fingerprint.

jiangqiushi

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Now I found the problem. it's related to the screenlock app I use. Every time I lock with the app, a pattern or password is needed when I unlock with fingerprint. But if I lock with the power buttom, no pattern or password, fingerprint will bring me right to homescreen. I tried many different screenlock apps, all the same issue.

Here is a thread on XDA about the same issue:

forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/help/screen-off-lock-apps-break-nexus-imprint-t3236785

Looks like there is no remedy so far. Anyone has idea about this?

UCT Gymnastics

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
Re:

When you setup a Fingerprint it always ask for a backup... so you have to have some other security method to unlock (Pattern, PIN or Password). The device will ask for this secondary security after a reboot to unlock the device the first time... personally, even if you could remove it I would not do that, but that is me.

I understand this, the issue is that it doesn't ask for my backup only after reboot or after 24h of non-use. It asks for it almost every single time... I can't seem to find any solution to this or even anyone else with the same issue. I just want to go back to opening my phone quickly with a fingerprint.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Re:

I understand this, the issue is that it doesn't ask for my backup only after reboot or after 24h of non-use. It asks for it almost every single time... I can't seem to find any solution to this or even anyone else with the same issue. I just want to go back to opening my phone quickly with a fingerprint.

My Nexus 6P occasionally requires the pattern (I use that instead of PIN) when the normal parameters do not apply. I have not yet figured out why. It doesn't happen very often though. It also says sometimes that pattern is required after a reboot when it has not rebooted. I usually verify that it hasn't self-rebooted by checking the uptime.

This happens seldom enough that I'm not worrying about it, like maybe a couple times a week, but still, it is there.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Remove your fingerprint... all of them... set it temporarily to a pattern or security code... reboot... then setup your fingerprints again. Be sure to move your finger around a bit just like you are told to do when registering your print. More than likely it will work just fine after that... unless you have a bad finger print reader.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Once in a while it will randomly ask me for the pin in addition to finger print...this is not after a reboot, that also happens. Not sure why, it also happens on the 6S

Tommy5725

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely right

So after all this, it's actually arm-twisting to force us to use additional security, not really as a "backup".

I want to be able to unlock my phone with JUST my fingerprint or my voice. But NO! That's not acceptable. However they do let you have NO SECURITY AT ALL. So that's what I went with.

When I'm working on something and my hands are full or covered in grease or grime, I want my phone to unlock and do what I ask it to do without it asking for a fingerprint. And when I restart it I want it to unlock with my fingerprint (or voice) without it asking for my password. After all it is suppose to be a backup. Do Apple phones give you this greif for such a basic request?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Apple also requires a PIN to unlock after a phone reboot, even when a fingerprint is used.

There's actually a benefit to this. You can be compelled by law enforcement to provide a fingerprint without violating your rights, they can NOT compel you to provide a PIN code. If, by chance, you are involved in some activity that has a LEO knocking on your door (I'm not saying ANYONE here is, just using it as an example), turn off the phone. When it gets turned on and asks for a fingerprint, you can provide it without providing access to the device as it then asks for the PIN.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So after all this, it's actually arm-twisting to force us to use additional security, not really as a "backup".

I want to be able to unlock my phone with JUST my fingerprint or my voice. But NO! That's not acceptable. However they do let you have NO SECURITY AT ALL. So that's what I went with.

When I'm working on something and my hands are full or covered in grease or grime, I want my phone to unlock and do what I ask it to do without it asking for a fingerprint. And when I restart it I want it to unlock with my fingerprint (or voice) without it asking for my password. After all it is suppose to be a backup. Do Apple phones give you this greif for such a basic request?

It's spelled out here:

"For security, you'll need to use your backup PIN, pattern, or password:

• When your fingerprint isn't recognized after a few tries
  • After restarting (rebooting) your device
  • After switching to a different user on the device
  • After more than 48 hours have passed since you last unlocked using your backup method"

If you have fingerprint lock turned on, I believe you can set the Google app to listen for "Ok Google" even when the screen is off.

andreipr

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same problem that you and I found the solution: the problem was an application that I used to screen off and block my cell.
As soos as I uninstalled this appli the fingerprint became functional.

However, what I do not like it's that I must to screen of my cell using the power button: I'm not really sure that my button will work fine after an year for example...

If anybody find a appli that will work with fingerprint option, please note me.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same problem that you and I found the solution: the problem was an application that I used to screen off and block my cell.
As soos as I uninstalled this appli the fingerprint became functional.

However, what I do not like it's that I must to screen of my cell using the power button: I'm not really sure that my button will work fine after an year for example...

If anybody find a appli that will work with fingerprint option, please note me.

I use fingerprint gestures from root essentials app. Works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa