Unable to transfer app settings to new device - tried many things - please help. What can I do?

Aaron Olmstead

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Unable to transfer app settings to new device - tried many things - please help

I recently purchased a Nexus 6P to replace my Galaxy 5S. I am unable to transfer the app settings to my new device (along with a number of other important settings. I've tried several things:
1) Went through the google accounts setup (restore my backup) - which installed some (but not all) of the apps from my old phone, but did not transfer over the app settings
2) tried "MyBackup Pro" which transferred texts, call logs, etc. and installed the remaining apps, but still did not transfer settings for any appss
3) tried "Helium" backup and restore - backing up to my dropbox account. The backup stops inexplicably after 17 of 62 app settings are transferred. Note that for the app settings that did backup, I was able to restore (transfer) them successfully
4) tried using Samsung "SmartSwitch" which worked quite well in the past transferring from an s4 to an s5, but it won't work this time as my new phone is not a Samsung.

I spent hours upon hours with all of this. RE-trying failed attempts, going through prompt after prompt. Isn't there on single app that will simply transfer all of my contents?? Specifically, my problem is around the app settings. Organizing my app shortcuts as I had before would be nice too... Please advise

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Unable to transfer app settings to new device - tried many things - please help

Welcome to Android Central! The data that apps back up to your Google account can be variable, and not many 3rd party app developers actually take advantage of this backup function. The backup is primarily useful for system settings and Google app settings.

Transferring your entire homescreen setup is usually not possible between different launchers, since there can be significant differences in how those launchers organize icons and widgets. Some 3rd party launchers like Nova Launcher can try to import a current homescreen setup from a different launcher, but there are often odd glitches or omissions. The stock Google Now Launcher can't import other homescreen setups.

Aaron Olmstead

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Unable to transfer app settings to new device - tried many things - please help

I'm trying to transfer app data settings. As mentioned, Samsung smart switch did this nicely (but won't help now that I'm switching to a Nexus 6P). Helium does work, but for some strange reason hangs up in the middle of the backup process. MyBackup says it will do this, but doesn't. Any ideas on how to get my app data transferred?

Aaron Olmstead

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

can I simply transfer the files manually? what is the location (to / from)?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Most data is kept in SQLite database files that you can't get to unless the phone is rooted. And the name of the file may have nothing to do with the name of the app or the developer. (That's to keep people who "find" your phone from having an easy time getting at your data.)

Try backing up using Helium - but to an SD card. Then restore. Helium has some funny glitches. I've sometimes had to back up 10 apps or so at a time, move the files, then go on to the next 10, etc. - then reverse the process when restoring. It would get stuck on one app and run for days.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm trying to transfer app data settings.

Can you clarify if you mean the app data (e.g., saved games, account information, etc.), or app settings (e.g., notifications on or off, app refresh intervals, etc.)?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer