Bought a dud 6P/ Now my 6 is Blacklisted

Jake Blue1

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I recently (yesterday) purchased a Nexus 6P through a private transaction. Used the phone all of today making phone calls and sending texts. About an hour ago I composed a text and it wouldn't send, and when I attempted to make a phone call it informed me that the phone had been "blocked on this carrier". It still showed phone service in the nav bar but that isn't the point. I realize that I'm out my money and that I cannot un-blacklist the phone. I purchased the phone cash.

(side note: Obviously the phone is lost/stolen. I know that it's ignorant, but I didn't realize that unlocked phones could even be blacklisted.)

My biggest concern is that I returned my SIM card to my Nexus 6 and I'm still getting the same message. I've restarted the phone, put it in airplane mode and removed the sim multiple times and it still thinks it's blacklisted. I checked both IMEIs online and the 6P is definitely blacklisted but the 6 is not/could not be as I bought it new and unlocked some time ago. I can't call AT&T because the phone won't call out and it's my only phone line. Will this effect stop on its own or should I be concerned? This was my first used phone purchase and I will not be repeating this mistake.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unlocking has nothing to do with blacklisting, so they can.

As far as your SIM, talk to your carrier. They MAY have canceled your account, or they MAY issue you a new card.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Also, file a police report so you can't be considered any type of accessory to felony theft or arrested for knowingly possessing stolen goods.

Cops might even be able to help you get your cash back.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Have you talked to your carrier yet? I would definitely get them involved so they can help.

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I know it's hindsight, but that's why I always use my credit card for larger transactions. Obviously not an option if done via private transaction. Best of luck.

Jake Blue1

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everyone. AT&T had suspended my account and I just needed to call and have them fix it. Seems like an odd thing to do to someone for putting their sim in a blocked phone. I don't really see how that helps cut down on crime. Anyhoo, I'm hoping the 6P goes on sale again soon 'cause now my N6 feels like a purple-tinted bowling ball comparatively. Thanks for all your help!

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. AT&T had suspended my account and I just needed to call and have them fix it. Seems like an odd thing to do to someone for putting their sim in a blocked phone. I don't really see how that helps cut down on crime. Anyhoo, I'm hoping the 6P goes on sale again soon 'cause now my N6 feels like a purple-tinted bowling ball comparatively. Thanks for all your help!

How much did you pay for that 6p?

Nexus 6p, gold

Jake Blue1

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I've found some 6Ps on eBay for about 390 used. Obviously better than Craig's list as there is some liability on the seller right? Should I hold off for them to go on sale?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Considering the 6P isn't available through carriers in the US, I find it hard to believe a carrier could or would blacklist the phone as that is usually done when a customer steps out on the bill while still paying off the device.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I've found some 6Ps on eBay for about 390 used. Obviously better than Craig's list as there is some liability on the seller right? Should I hold off for them to go on sale?

May as well just pay another 60 and get a brand new one from Best Buy and get a $25 gift card.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Considering the 6P isn't available through carriers in the US, I find it hard to believe a carrier could or would blacklist the phone as that is usually done when a customer steps out on the bill while still paying off the device.
The carriers aren't going to support stolen phones, that would make them accessories to the crime.

The OP should never have paid cash for a phone, he should have either bought it from a reputable source or from someone known to him. As for paying $390 for a used phone on E-Bay, that's crazy when a new one is $500 and comes with a warranty. If it were $250 on E-Bay that would be OK, E-Bay takes credit cards so you are protected.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Pay through PayPal. You can file a claim up to 180 days later and PayPal is extremely buyer friendly.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and once bought a blacklisted device. I called them explained what happened they emailed me a form I filled it out and returned to them and the activated phone for me no problem. Att has a process for this situation you just have to ask.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
The person said they paid cash so it would have had to been a face to face transaction.
For an non-carrier phone, I'm not sure what you do face to face, unless it's ask for the original sales receipt and box?
I've done a couple of face to face but I didn't get burned.
Most phones I buy these days are on Swappa.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

It is possible it wasn't a "US" 6P -- that it was sold originally in another country through a carrier. I seem to recall Canadian carriers sell the 6P, as well as carriers in some other countries.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The person said they paid cash so it would have had to been a face to face transaction.
For an non-carrier phone, I'm not sure what you do face to face, unless it's ask for the original sales receipt and box?
I've done a couple of face to face but I didn't get burned.
Most phones I buy these days are on Swappa.

If you are doing a cash transaction with a stranger then you should ask to see their drivers license and you should record the name, address and drivers license number. If they refuse then walk away.