Photosphere with nougat 7.0

smithkev

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed viewing photospheres from the photos app is a lot slower on nougat than marshmallow? After 'upgrading' to 7.0, I am now faced with faster battery usage, and black square 'artifacts' (they go away, but linger) when viewing photospheres.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I've not had any problems with PhotoSpheres. I actually think they might even look better with Nougat but I could be wrong. I take my time with it, though.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed viewing photospheres from the photos app is a lot slower on nougat than marshmallow? After 'upgrading' to 7.0, I am now faced with faster battery usage, and black square 'artifacts' (they go away, but linger) when viewing photospheres.
I only have one photosphere to use as a reference, and it's been quite awhile since I had Marshmallow on this device so my memory isn't clear about how fast it used to bring it up. I will say that it does take quite a bit of time to fully render it (this particular photo is no longer on my device - it's just up in the cloud, so that may be the differentiating factor) and the blocky artifacts do take awhile to go away as I'm scrolling through the view. Once it's been fully rendered I don't see any hesitation in the view.

smithkev

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Exactly. The artifacts were much less noticeable, almost negligible on Marshmallow. This is referring to photospheres on the device, not any cloud/google+ stuff.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
(this particular photo is no longer on my device - it's just up in the cloud, so that may be the differentiating factor) and the blocky artifacts do take awhile to go away as I'm scrolling through the view.
Update: I restored that photosphere to my device (so that it's local now) and there's no appreciable difference in the rendering - the first time through there are still some artifacts that take awhile to go away.

Unfortunately I don't have another device so there's no way to compare to the Marshmallow experience. YMMV.

smithkev

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
With the photosphere open, press the recent apps button(square). Then again. Does your photosphere have to 'reload'(for lack of a better word)? Marshmallow didn't, but nougat is for me..... :(

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I've found that the most effective way of creating a PhotoSphere is to rotate the phone around one point rather than panning. When I pan badly is when I get the most artifacts.