Apps still think my phone is rooted after I installed stock firmware. How to fix?

bobdrad

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I need to run some crucial apps that detect root (boo!). My phone was indeed rooted, so I installed stock firmware (Oreo). But the apps still claim my phone is rooted!!!

If I install SuperSU it says my phone is NOT rooted.

So I am in the worst of both worlds. How can I clean up my phone, so that apps no longer incorrectly claim that my phone is rooted?

Note I do still have an unlocked bootloader and TWRP. Could that be doing it?

Nexus 6p
Oreo 8.0.0

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How, specifically, did you 'install stock firmware'?
Did you flash the full image, the OTA image, what?
Did you wipe the /data partition along with the system cache?

bobdrad

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I flashed the factory image for Oreo. I did not wipe /data or cache first, since I figured installing the factory image would overwrite everything. I followed the instructions here (Option 1, using flash-all):
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...actory-images-android-using-fastboot-0175277/

All apps were reinstalled from scratch. I see no binaries in bin (I have no xbin) for su or supersu.

OTA updates are working...

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, flash-all.bat does wipe /data so it shouldn't be an issue with your OS install.

Perhaps these apps have a problem? Provide links to a couple of them and I'll try them on my Oreo setup and see if they generate the same error. You can use something like Share Apps https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theronrogers.shareapps to generate a list of applications; just long-press the ones that you want to share.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I flashed the factory image for Oreo. I did not wipe /data or cache first, since I figured installing the factory image would overwrite everything. I followed the instructions here (Option 1, using flash-all):
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...actory-images-android-using-fastboot-0175277/

All apps were reinstalled from scratch. I see no binaries in bin (I have no xbin) for su or supersu.

OTA updates are working...

If you are still boot loader unlocked, SafetyNet checks will fail and you will not be able to pass.
You have two options. Magisk will hide most ways to detect root and BL unlocks. Re-lock the BL.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The bootloader is 'unlockable' but is normally locked by default. Whenever you attempt to flash an image the first step is to unlock the bootloader; typically, when you're done you would relock the bootloader, but that's not necessary, so it's quite possible that you just left yours unlocked.

Edit: if you're unsure of the state that you left it in you can boot into the bootloader (Volume Down + Power) and you'll see the status (something like 'Device is locked').
Mine happens to be locked so if the reason your apps are reporting your device is rooted is due to the bootloader state then that would be confirmation of a sort.

Last edited:

bobdrad

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine is definitely unlocked, because I thought there was a counter that limited how many times you could lock. I still don't understand how it can be unlockable yet locked, but...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I still don't understand how it can be unlockable yet locked, but...
The deadbolt on your front door can either be locked or unlocked (making it unlockable). Obviously, for more security, you would lock it after having unlocked it (similar to your bootloader).

Some bootloaders cannot be unlocked.

bobdrad

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow, I never realized how ambiguous that term is. I would say that if my door can be locked it is, by definition, lockable, and therefore not unlockable :). Sometimes English sucks. Thanks for your patience.