Screen protector prevents answering a call when screen off?

jvukas72

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Just wanted to pass this along and see what everyone thinks.

I was in need of a cheap smartphone so I picked up a Nokia 3.1a from Walmart.

It works great except for one thing that was really messing with my head: When the screen was off and the device locked, an incoming call resulted in a simple black screen with a "to prevent pocket mode...." message.

I couldn't answer the call at all.
I eventually figured out that I could answer the call by swiping down from the top of the screen and selecting "answer".

But even then, I found that I couldn't hang up the call, not even by pressing any of the volume or power buttons. Behavior was erratic at that point.

Today, I had a hunch and removed the screen protector. (I had purchased a simple silicone case and tempered glass screen protector shortly after buying the phone)

After I removed the screen protector, I could answer calls normally when the device was off and the screen was black.

I guess the phone always thought it was in my pocket...simply by covering the screen with a protector.

Just wanted to pass this along..in case it helps anyone else.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the tip! Are you certain the screen protector was designed specifically for that phone, with the correct cutouts? Perhaps it was blocking the proximity sensor.

jvukas72

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
yeah, everything seems to line up. I tried covering the proximity sensor with my thumb and verified that a double tap will not wake up the screen. The protector has a cutout for the sensor. I guess the cutout needs to be larger? Maybe it needs a buffer space around the edges of the sensor? dunno.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just wanted to pass this along and see what everyone thinks.

I was in need of a cheap smartphone so I picked up a Nokia 3.1a from Walmart.

It works great except for one thing that was really messing with my head: When the screen was off and the device locked, an incoming call resulted in a simple black screen with a "to prevent pocket mode...." message.

I couldn't answer the call at all.
I eventually figured out that I could answer the call by swiping down from the top of the screen and selecting "answer".

But even then, I found that I couldn't hang up the call, not even by pressing any of the volume or power buttons. Behavior was erratic at that point.

Today, I had a hunch and removed the screen protector. (I had purchased a simple silicone case and tempered glass screen protector shortly after buying the phone)

After I removed the screen protector, I could answer calls normally when the device was off and the screen was black.

I guess the phone always thought it was in my pocket...simply by covering the screen with a protector.

Just wanted to pass this along..in case it helps anyone else.
Yeah some low quality screen protector can cause issues like you described.