Nokia 5 very-initial impressions

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
IMG_20170702_162731.jpg
Well, while waiting for the Nokia 6 to arrive so that I can purchase one, I found a Nokia 5 in-store, so I decided to play with one and see what all the fuss is about. Here are my initial impressions based on my pretty short time with the device.

· Build quality at first glance is pretty dang good. It's a metal chassis all around, and it really does feel nice, and the device also has a reasonable amount of heft that adds to that solid feel. I personally don’t like thin devices made out of glass and feel overly light, and the Nokia reinforces my thought. It really does feel nice.

IMG_20170702_162749.jpg
· Now, this won’t win the “slimmest top and bottom bezel” award since they are pretty chunky, actually chunkier than what I would’ve preferred. But at the very least, there are capacitive buttons alongside a fingerprint sensor on the chin, so that space is at least used, even if the fingerprint sensor itself is strangely small.
· The 5.2” display is a 720p IPS LCD and for a budget phone, it’s par for the course. Brightness is reasonable and colors are accurate, but contrast is a tad on the low side, although since I was in a store that had some harsh lighting, I would have to try it out again sometime to verify my thoughts.
· The phone runs Android 7.1.1 Nougat and….that’s about it. Aside from some Nokia tweaks and a different camera app, it’s pretty much close-to-stock, which should make those looking for a Nexus-like experience on a budget pretty happy.
· The specs are also typical for a phone at this tier, at least in some markets. It’s powered by a Snapdragon 430 backed up by 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM. Because it’s running on a relatively lean build of Android, performance is more than adequate in terms of daily use. It’s obviously a tad slower and more prone to hiccups than my flagship Moto Z, but for the usual texting, browsing and calling, it’s more than adequate, and based on my experience using the backup phone I have, which incidentally has the exact same processor and RAM combo, battery life should also be very good due to its lower power use, although a 14nm process would’ve helped further.
· And then we come to the camera. I didn’t use the selfie camera since I do not take selfies regularly, if at all. The 13MP sensor has PDAF and an approximate pixel size of 1.12 microns, making it a 1/3” sensor, and has an aperture of f/2.0. In good lighting, the camera is capable of some solid photos with good amounts of detail and sharpness, although make no mistake, this is obviously no PureView. When the light goes down, the lack of hardware stabilization is made more obvious, and you’d need a bit more effort to get a steady shot. The first indoor shots I took looked a tiny bit soft until I properly stabilized it. That said, the focus is pretty darn quick. For $189, it is a capable camera, although one that also needs the user to know its limits.
· The camera app is a tad confusing at first. While it is very familiar to the Google Camera, the one that I’ve been using for a while, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to add exposure compensation for automatic modes, at least one that I could find. Haven’t tried the manual controls yet, though.
· Oh yeah. The buttons. Nobody mentions them often, but they are very clicky. Certainly a nice touch.

At $189, this is going up against phones like Samsung’s Galaxy J5/J5P, BBK’s Vivo Y55 in some markets, alongside the standard Moto G5 and a slew of Chinese competitors that offer similar specs for less or beefier specs for the same price or a little more.

The Nokia 5’s spec list isn’t going to impress anyone, and its featureset is definitely on the lean-side compared to some of the aforementioned competition. However, what Nokia does deliver on is a very solid handset that has very solid build quality, an Android experience that purists will definitely like and the promise of speedy Android updates, where it is even mentioned on marketing material.
IMG_20170702_162740.jpg
If specs are your primary concern, then offerings from companies like Xiaomi are bound to be up your alley. But if you like a pure Android experience and prioritize the overall experience and timely updates, I think Nokia might have a chance. Here’s hoping HMD can refine that Nokia recipe for future devices, especially the flagship.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Nice writeup! How slippery is the metal back?
It has a satin-like finish, so it's not too slippery.

Personally, I'd go for the 6. It's only a little bit more but you get quite a bit in return. Personally, I'm interested to see how HMD lives up to its widely-touted Android update promise.

infinidim

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Really like the write-up.:D

My thoughts after talking to people in China is that HMD/Nokia are keeping up with the updates currently and with a promise of "O" in the future and high end phones coming they look as if they are back in the game again.

Regards

Infinidim :cool:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Really like the write-up.:D

My thoughts after talking to people in China is that HMD/Nokia are keeping up with the updates currently and with a promise of "O" in the future and high end phones coming they look as if they are back in the game again.

Regards

Yeah, HMD is keeping their promises so far.

I hope it holds up. I really want to like their phones because in terms of build quality, they are really giving a positive impression, especially since Nokia phones were known for being as tough as a brick back in the day.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The camera is actually pretty crappy and it's not the hardware's fault. I have a Nokia 5 and it's a good phone if you can get it for less than the 200€ it sells for here in Europe. But it's nowhere near as good as it should be.

The camera problem, however, can be fixed by the user...by installing another camera. I've sideloaded the Pixel camera apk from XDA (yes, it works on the SD430) and here's the result.
Top picture is taken with the stock camera, HDR on, focus on the Nokia logo.
Bottom is taken with the iPixel camera, HDR+ on, focus on the Nokia logo.

comparison.jpg

Not only it produces a much better photo, it's also a hell of a lot faster to take and save the photo. This showed me clearly that HMD has a LOT of work to do in the software department.

infinidim

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Tend to agree with DJCBS, the camera does need a bit of work done on it which I am sure that HMD / Nokia will be doing.

Regards

infinidim

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Tend to agree with DJCBS, the camera does need a bit of work done on it which I am sure that HMD / Nokia will be doing.

Regards