nVidia: Kepler GPU tech coming to Logan (next-gen mobile SoC)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Let's talk about some really geeky stuff. GPU's. PC and Mobile. Hear me out, because they are going to be more similar than you would ever imagine in the next year or so. nVidia just got done detailing mobile Kepler. Wait, what's Kepler you ask? It's the basis for the fastest PC single-GPU that nVidia (or anybody else up to this point) has released. GPU's, like CPU's, have cores, and those cores support different features. Here, this slide will do a much better job at showcasing some of the features:

But how does this compare to what we currently have? In a few words, it'll blow it away. Yes, nVidia included slides to show us just how much:

Yes, that's a PS3 that will be outperformed by a mobile GPU. Did I mention that this GPU is going to consume only 2 watts?! Yes, 2 watts. When nVidia introduced Titan (the fastest single GPU) they used a demo called IRA. Now, we can see IRA running off of mobile Kepler on a Logan development board.

Notice how smooth it is? This is really impressive. SUPER impressive. I can't wait to see this tech hit consumer products.

So really what we're seeing here is a GPU that, if it lives up to the promises (Kepler is ridiculously good on the PC) will be the fastest mobile GPU available, with support for features that no other GPU available on a mobile chip has.

The Bard

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I read on Nvision that Tegra 5 performance same with iPad 4 but use much less power (1/3 power). Is that true? I mean it isn't good at all. Tegra 5 performance same with iPad 4 that almost a year old. I hope this is a wrong info. Tegra 5 need to be much much powerful compared to iPad 4 or Tegra 4 if nvidia want to win on SoC war.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I read on Nvision that Tegra 5 performance same with iPad 4 but use much less power (1/3 power). Is that true? I mean it isn't good at all. Tegra 5 performance same with iPad 4 that almost a year old. I hope this is a wrong info. Tegra 5 need to be much much powerful compared to iPad 4 or Tegra 4 if nvidia want to win on SoC war.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Nobody knows for sure if that's true. But if it is look at it like this....what would it be capable of with the same power? Three times the performance?

As far as winning the SoC war, Qualcomm is dominating with no signs of slowing down. At least as far as market share goes.

As far as performance, Tegra 4 is at or near the top, until you play a Tegra optimized game. Then it dominates. Nothing comes close.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthHONK