6gb or 8gb OnePlus 5?

yasirsaeed2017

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
Re: 6gb or 8gb

It all depends on your end-purpose. You see, a 3GB Ram performs as good as a 6GB phone, well, at least in terms of running apps smoothly. A 6GB One Plus 5 is good enough, but spending an extra $60 for a whopping 8GB isn't a bad deal anyways. Over the last few years, Android manufacturers have been boasting about RAM, and ot be honest, RAM is far more important than storage. Storage can be improved by adding an SD card, or backing up your data to the cloud using Dropbox or Google Drive, but with an 8GB RAM and 128 GB storage option, I hardly doubt anyone's data is going to fill up One Plus 5's capacity. Nevertheless, go for an 8GB version.

VigneshChandz

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site

6gb or 8gb ? Here the speed in 8gb OP5 is quite negligible comparing 6gb OP5. Here wat matters is the storage options u get. For 6gb u get 64gb storage , whereas for 8gb u get 128gb storage. If u don't mind 64 gjg storage ur good to go ! If u really u need more storage the 8gb / 128gb is worth the upgrade.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Get the 8GB version.

Not for the RAM, but for the storage.

Having 128GB of ultrafast storage for not a heap more is a no-brainer IMO.

ChristianRid

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site

Well, 8gb is more than Android 7.1.1 can handle at the moment, but I am sure that in the near future that 8gb will become very important for the phone as a whole.
You need to factor in if you expect to keep this phone for over a year or not. If not then 6gb should suffice.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Well, 8gb is more than Android 7.1.1 can handle at the moment, but I am sure that in the near future that 8gb will become very important for the phone as a whole.
You need to factor in if you expect to keep this phone for over a year or not. If not then 6gb should suffice.

That's not correct.

I'm not going to pretend 8 GB of RAM is super useful or that most people will even notice the difference in every day use, but it CAN be addressed and used by the system.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Have you ever come close to using 64 GB of RAM? I wouldn't have any use for it. I stream all of the things, so I don't think it's worth it, personally.

LeKeiser

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Have you ever come close to using 64 GB of RAM? I wouldn't have any use for it. I stream all of the things, so I don't think it's worth it, personally.

I encode some movies and then I copy them on my phone. I like to have a choice, so I have quite a few of them on the phone. I also like to listen to music, but not using Spotify & Cie, this doesn't work in the subway. And I have a few hundreds of pictures as well. Basic, really basic use of a phone. So yes, 64GB is the bare minimum now. 128GB is best.
Once again, this is a really basic use of a phone, IMHO.

JoleEh

May 3, 2017
Visit site
Remember that more ram is not equal to better performance, only when you run out of it.

As for storage i doubt you will ever go close to 64gb. And if you do you could super easily move your images and videos to Google Drive or Dropbox.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Remember that more ram is not equal to better performance, only when you run out of it.

As for storage i doubt you will ever go close to 64gb. And if you do you could super easily move your images and videos to Google Drive or Dropbox.

Yeah, I agree. I cant think how I could use 64Gb of storage when I already have a 64Gb Micro Sd card.

Shiny Paladin

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I agree with a lot of folks who have chimed in. 8 GB RAM version is ideal just for the 128 GB storage alone. In the next year or two, we'll see if 8 gigs is really necessary for RAM...personally 4 or 6 is still good for a phone.

Craig Vaughn

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site

Welcome to AndroidCentral @0mer 😃

For me, it's not about the 6GB or 8GB RAM. It's more about the storage capacity that you get with the phone. The 128gb will certainly come in handy if you love taking videos and playing games.

However, if you are a fairly average user and don't heavily rely on your phone. The 6GB / 64GB version will be absolutely perfect. Nothing wrong with it. AND you will save over 50 bucks.

Hope this helps.

Have u seen any reviews or comparison testing to see if there is any real world performance difference?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress