5t vs note 8

Mike328

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
If anybody have both or has had both can u tell me your thoughts between the two. I currently have a note 8 which yes I do enjoy but I am thinking of at least giving the 5t a shot but want to know will it be worth it. I gave the v30 a chance but sent it back I just couldn't get over the camera I wanted the phone to be so good not that it isn't but I just really felt let down with the camera... Any way I just would like to have ppls experience thanks

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not. If you didn't like the V30 camera the OnePlus might make you cry. Note 8 is better at just about everything.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I have the note 8 and my OP5T arrives tomorrow. After reading the OP forums I'm not very optimistic. May not have it long.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
YouTube reviewers show that the 5T produces very good photos, and they're solid in low light. So I really never know what's the truth.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the note 8 and my OP5T arrives tomorrow. After reading the OP forums I'm not very optimistic. May not have it long.

Can't say whether you'll like it more than the note 8... The note 8 is a better device in many ways, IF you're looking for the things it offers. But they set out to accomplish very different goals.

I can tell you the Oneplus forums are a bit of a cesspool though lol. Take anything you read there, good or bad, with a grain of salt.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Can't say whether you'll like it more than the note 8... The note 8 is a better device in many ways, IF you're looking for the things it offers. But they set out to accomplish very different goals.

I can tell you the Oneplus forums are a bit of a cesspool though lol. Take anything you read there, good or bad, with a grain of salt.
Yeah that forum is out of control lol. I just got the 5t and have started setting it up. I like a few things and will need to get used to some others.

I like the size and weight of the phone compared to the Note 8 which is a beast.

I like the customization.

Fingerprint reader placement and speed.

Some things I don't like are some of the stock apps like the dialer. They aren't as polished as the Note 8. They don't have that premium look to them. I'm sure I can replace them which I will be doing shortly.

I guess I need to remember this is very close to stock Android and stop looking for stuff the flagship devices add to the OS.

I will say this though. I didn't get the OP5T because the Note 8 is a problem. I did it solely because I wanted a phone I didn't have anxiety about carrying and I am completely disgusted with Samsungs customer service and them as a company. I have been dealing with an issue with them for over a month and it has made me really dislike them. The OP5T is a phone I will use without a case or any protection because I honestly don't care what happens to it.

Lastly, do not under any circumstances compare a Note 8 taken picture to a OP5T taken picture. You will be very dissapointed in the OP5T.

Mike328

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Yeah that forum is out of control lol. I just got the 5t and have started setting it up. I like a few things and will need to get used to some others.

I like the size and weight of the phone compared to the Note 8 which is a beast.

I like the customization.

Fingerprint reader placement and speed.

Some things I don't like are some of the stock apps like the dialer. They aren't as polished as the Note 8. They don't have that premium look to them. I'm sure I can replace them which I will be doing shortly.

I guess I need to remember this is very close to stock Android and stop looking for stuff the flagship devices add to the OS.

I will say this though. I didn't get the OP5T because the Note 8 is a problem. I did it solely because I wanted a phone I didn't have anxiety about carrying and I am completely disgusted with Samsungs customer service and them as a company. I have been dealing with an issue with them for over a month and it has made me really dislike them. The OP5T is a phone I will use without a case or any protection because I honestly don't care what happens to it.

Lastly, do not under any circumstances compare a Note 8 taken picture to a OP5T taken picture. You will be very dissapointed in the OP5T.

For me I think it's more so the size of the phone compared to the note 8 .. thats another reason why I sent back the v30 yea the camera was not up to par like the note 8 is but even with the note 8 I use the pixel apk for the camera. But what I couldn't also past on the v30 that I did not like was the weight of the phone it felt like nothing in my hand . I didn't like that .. are you able to put the apk for the pixel camera on the one plus ?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
For me I think it's more so the size of the phone compared to the note 8 .. thats another reason why I sent back the v30 yea the camera was not up to par like the note 8 is but even with the note 8 I use the pixel apk for the camera. But what I couldn't also past on the v30 that I did not like was the weight of the phone it felt like nothing in my hand . I didn't like that .. are you able to put the apk for the pixel camera on the one plus ?

I have seen people have done it but I believe there was issues with pinch zooming. Im looking for the right pixel dialer apk right now and then Ill try camera apk.

The size and weight of the OP5T is really nice. Its a welcome change from the size and weight of the Note. I was between this, the Pixel XL 2 and going back to the LG G6 ( I have yet to find a phone that feels better in the hand than that one). I went for the OP5T because of the 835 chip and simplicity of Oxygen OS. Im not a huge camera person so I dont care too much about that. I just want a fast, smaller phone, that should get updates a bit quicker than Samsung. I also want one that if it breaks wont cost me $300 to fix without insurance.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 5T at launch and received it November 24. Loved it. Yesterday I traded it for a note 8 (I owned the note previously). Today I miss the 5T. Its a fantastic device. Both are but just thinking about how much the 5T is and how great the software is. Its so damn good.

LPRodgers

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
I bought the 5T at launch and received it November 24. Loved it. Yesterday I traded it for a note 8 (I owned the note previously). Today I miss the 5T. Its a fantastic device. Both are but just thinking about how much the 5T is and how great the software is. Its so damn good.

Oxygen is the best version of Android that's for sure, I have the Note 8 and the bixby thing really pisses me off, Samsung was making great strides with their UI before bixby. They are different phones though for different purposes, you just have to see which one feels best for you. I like the more stock feel of Android but you can't go wrong with either one they are both great, lots of cool features on the note 8.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
As someone who had a note 8 for a short period I can tell you that although it's feature rich and has a great camera, I couldn't justify the 1k cost. I think the OP5T is overall a well-rounded phone that holds its weight when compared to some more expensive devices.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
No comparison. Note 8 is a much better phone. It checks all the boxes and more. I'm returning my 5T due to the absolutely ****ty camera it has. It's total crap. Do not get the phone if you want quality pics with good low light shots, definition and color that isn't dingy. I hate the camera. Otherwise, it's a great phone, but I am returning it and picking up an S8+. It was between that and a Note 8, but I could care less about the Spen the S8+ has a bigger battery and I like the design a little better on the S8+.

Why don't you just get a Nikon if you're that obsessed over picture quality? I personally consider cameras on phones to be a complementary item not the end all be all when it comes to selecting a device.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
In my own opinion, it would be hard to compare these two phones; as one is a $1000+ phone and the other, though a "flagship killer," is not in the same price category nor in the same smartphone class. I'd coin the OP 5T as high midrange with *some* flagship specs; whereas the Note 8 is pure flagship with all the bells and whistles flagships get - water- and dust-resistance, better camera, etc. To me, it's a bit akin to comparing apples to oranges. It depends on the user - some will want the extras and the bells and whistles; whereas others may want *some* flagship specs, but will sacrifice on other specs that aren't as important to them.

However, that is not to say that the OnePlus 5T is a bad phone. It's a great, solid device that is probably the best bang for your buck out there right now. It's just hard to compare the two.

Again, to me, it all boils down to what you're looking for. If you want a phone that has everything and do not kind paying a premium for it, the Note 8 is a great choice. Or, if you want to save money on a phone that can arguably do just as good of a job as the Note 8 performance-wise; but not be as equal in specific specs (camera, AOD, water resistance, etc); then the 5T is a great choice as well.

Good luck with your decision! :)

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had both twice, yup you heard me lol. They are both my favorite phones of 2017 hands down. Pound for pound The note 8 is clearly the superior device. But that's not just with the 5T, it's with any smartphone on the market point blank period. But there's more to it than pound for pound. I love the note 8 cause of the features it offers. Plenty of features that aren't necessarily in your way but when needed you can use them. I love that. Also the vibration motor of the note is much better than the 5T's, the camera is better and the water resistance is a big plus. As far as the 5T, I love dash charging. That is my favorite feature of any phone ever. I just freaking love it. Also I love that the 5T is half the price yet can compete out there with the best of them. I like the face unlock, I LOVE how speedy the phone is, it's really a speed demon although the note isn't too shabby either. I like that the 5T size is more manageable, lighter and easier to hold and I also love the fact that it has a screen protector and a pretty damn good case out of the box.

As far as the display goes, they cancel each other out....to me. I don't care for QHD, I always use my note on 1080P and to me the 5T is just as good. Maybe the note is better at 1080P but it's so minimal that it doesn't matter to me. I don't give 2 f*cks about wireless charging so it's not a pro for me. I love both skins. The features of the note 8 and the light skin of the 5T while still having some cool features, gestures and dark mode etc... They're both solid phones. The note 8 is superior overall but it's also more expensive. The 5T is a phone that truly challenges these $700+ smartphones. It really makes you question yourself about going out and spending that much money when you can get something almost as good if not just as good for half the price.

Side note, I had the pixel 2 XL too, I prefer the 5T hands down, no debate. the pixel has a great camera but besides that I prefer the 5T. The display is better, more Rams, better battery life, performance is on par but I'll actually give the edge to 5T cause of more ram and the ability to keep more apps in cache and last but not least, the price. again, you spend $800 on the pixel then spend $500 on the 5T, you'll hate yourself for spending that much on the pixel cause it's totally not worth it Imo. just my 2cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa