Easiest way or tip to remove stock screen protector.

YMarkY

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm tired of wiping the screen on my 6T. This preinstalled screen protector smudges and smears something awful. I've never used a screen protector on any previous phone and haven't had a problem with scratches.

I think I'm going to go naked on this phone as well. Did OnePlus install this protector because this screen is ore prone to scratches? Also, what is the easiest way to remove this thing? I'm thinking starting at a corner with a toothpick.

Thanks

morriea

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
All you need to do is slide a finger nail under the corner and lift. The screen is no more prone to scratch than other phones.

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
6T is supposed to have Gorilla Glass 6 on the front. So it's the most scratch resistance there is. I believe GG 6 is the latest and greatest.

morriea

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
6T is supposed to have Gorilla Glass 6 on the front. So it's the most scratch resistance there is. I believe GG 6 is the latest and greatest.
From what I understand, GG3 was the most scratch resistant, but was more susceptible to cracking. Corning tries to strike a balance between scratch resistant and break resistant. With 6, they made it a bit harder to break. I do not know if it makes a huge difference in day-to-day use.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

GG3 was the most scratch resistant. Every model after that is less scratch resistant, but less prone to breakage. Basically physics says if glass is more scratch resistant, it's more brittle, and if it's less brittle to break, it's less scratch resistant. GG4 onwards has been exercises of trying to strike the perfect balance.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I took the OE screen protector off about a week after acquiring it. However, mines just a plain ol' 6. Saw something on the 6T that recommend leaving the screen protector on for better fingerprint reading.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
GG3 was the most scratch resistant. Every model after that is less scratch resistant, but less prone to breakage. Basically physics says if glass is more scratch resistant, it's more brittle, and if it's less brittle to break, it's less scratch resistant. GG4 onwards has been exercises of trying to strike the perfect balance.
Yhat's why the old 3/$5 plastic protectors were good. They lasted for a year or two before rub marks started showing, and they gave quite a bit of shock resistance. Now they're almost as expensive as glass protectors. You might as well just buy a yard of clear plastic from Walmart and cut it to shape, then use a single layer of contact cement to stick it on. (A yard by 54: of 6 gauge is $9 - and that makes a lot of screen protectors.)

veg_biryani

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm tired of wiping the screen on my 6T. This preinstalled screen protector smudges and smears something awful. I've never used a screen protector on any previous phone and haven't had a problem with scratches.

I think I'm going to go naked on this phone as well. Did OnePlus install this protector because this screen is ore prone to scratches? Also, what is the easiest way to remove this thing? I'm thinking starting at a corner with a toothpick.

Thanks

I took mine off as soon as it came out of box, don't feel the need for them 👍

maxmin

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Just wait. Eventually you will nick an edge and it will start pealing off on it's own. I nicked the top edge of mine after a couple months and it started pealing near the nick after a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38