Leaving Pixel 3, considering OP 6T

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
You are welcome! Glad I could help. I have not been disappointed. Only thing I forgot to mention is the fingerprint sensor. It is a bit finicky at times. However the face unlock is fantastic and I use that more than the fingerprint now. It's so fast I sometimes forget I have a pin on my phone.

Set the fingerprint reader up in a dark room. Makes a world of difference!

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Looks like Monday at this point. Also ordered a 3XL, just to compare. I would love the battery life of the 6T but also like being able to take decent pictures at night.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Monday at this point. Also ordered a 3XL, just to compare. I would love the battery life of the 6T but also like being able to take decent pictures at night.

That's not too long from now! And that's super cool beans that you also ordered a 3XL! Best of both worlds!

mattkerwin24

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
So...

Being inside the return window with my Pixel 3, i decided to order a 6t...and will be returning the Pixel.

I figure there's no better way to decide than to test it out first hand.

Since the 6t has a 15-day return window, I can at least try it out for 2 weeks and see which one I like better, and can always reorder a Pixel, but with 128gb this time, if it gets to that.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So...

Being inside the return window with my Pixel 3, i decided to order a 6t...and will be returning the Pixel.

Since the 6t has a 15-day return window, I can at least try it out for 2 weeks and see which one I like better, and can always reorder a Pixel, but with 128gb this time, if it gets to that.
I really don't think you'll be disappointed if the camera was the only thing holding you to the Pixel 3.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So...

Yup, testing things out firsthand to get your own impressions of the device is the best way to go! Let us know how you like the 6T! I too don't think you will be disappointed.

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
So my approx 12 hours of use thoughts...

Definitely feels more responsive than the Pixel 3 XL, I haven't experienced any sort of lag so far. I like the extra settings that Oxygen OS provides, they actually useful unlike some of the stuff Samsung thinks you need on your phone.

It's much nicer to hold than the P3XL. The shape of the phone just feels more comfortable and it's slightly lighter in weight.

I took a few comparison pictures outside last night around 10pm and liked the 6T pictures more than the P3XL, which I did not expect.

Things I might miss from the P3/XL: Call screening, I've been getting an asinine amount of spam calls lately and it looks like that is not available on the 6T. Same for the visual voice mail. Being on Google Fi that is one thing that I lose. I don't get a ton of non-spam calls anyway but VVM is nice to have. Disregard, I just left myself a voice mail and the 6T does have it's own version of VVM that works.

Questions:

1. Can you disable the "App is using location" notification? It's part of Google Play Services and you can turn off all notifications for that, but I'd rather not go that route. It does wake the screen every time something calls up my location. Found a solution on reddit.

2. Do you keep the factory installed screen protector on or remove it? I generally do not use screen protectors and am on the fence about this one. It adds a little tackyness (as in sticky, not ugly) to swiping but I think helps with typing. It also seems to get some static cling. As a pet owner that means I'm constantly wiping fur off the screen, something I haven't really experienced on other phones.

TL;DR: I really like it, need to give it a few more days of use to decide whether to keep the 6T or the P3XL.

Last edited:

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Also, I love the three position notification slider. This is something I wish more OEMs would get behind, besides Apple.

Still getting used to the fingerprint reader being on the front. After three generations of Pixels I find myself putting my finger on the camera lenses each time I go to unlock the 6T.

mattkerwin24

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Also, I love the three position notification slider. This is something I wish more OEMs would get behind, besides Apple.

Still getting used to the fingerprint reader being on the front. After three generations of Pixels I find myself putting my finger on the camera lenses each time I go to unlock the 6T.

I had the opposite reaction with the pictures...it doesnt hold a candle to the P3 in my opinion...i have a little guy who is always in motion, and the pixel is able to provide much less blur, and thats not even mentioning the low light comparison...the 6t is a no go for me unfortunately.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
On the screen protector, I personally love it and love that it comes on the phone perfectly installed. It doesn't feel anywhere near as tacky and squishy as the ones you get on Amazon to me but I think it's thinner as well. Also after awhile it won't feel that tacky anymore.

mattkerwin24

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I had the opposite reaction with the pictures...it doesnt hold a candle to the P3 in my opinion...i have a little guy who is always in motion, and the pixel is able to provide much less blur, and thats not even mentioning the low light comparison...the 6t is a no go for me unfortunately.
I reneged on my words, decided I didn't give the one plus a fair shake, and I think I'm in love lol

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I decided to go with the Pixel 3XL after a couple days of use. I still haven't gotten my RMA number from Oneplus but I'm tempted to cancel that and return the P3XL.

The P3XL makes more sense being on Google Fi, but I generally force it to T-Mobile anyway because Sprint is terrible in this area, so having T-Mo only on the 6T wouldn't be the end of the world.

mattkerwin24

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I think OnePlus is deliberately slow with the RMAs
I decided to go with the Pixel 3XL after a couple days of use. I still haven't gotten my RMA number from Oneplus but I'm tempted to cancel that and return the P3XL.

The P3XL makes more sense being on Google Fi, but I generally force it to T-Mobile anyway because Sprint is terrible in this area, so having T-Mo only on the 6T wouldn't be the end of the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87