OP7 pro - yes I got one!

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Ok despite my protestations regarding the lack of an always on display and wireless charging after selling on a few phones I could resist no more and purchased a blue 8gb/256gb model a few days ago, I guess with the combination of me being me and a new exciting flagship being available resistance was futile!

I was/am happy with my S10+ ceramic but a few things do grate day to day and the sense of getting short-changed outside the US with the Exynos chip also does p*** me off a little.

A few days in and for those that are interested, I won’t mention the AOD again as I have done that to death.

+ It is not as unwieldy as I was expecting and the curves on the rear make it quite comfortable. My S10 is ceramic so still quite heavy, those jumping from the glass S10 may notice it more. Is a little top-heavy though

+ Build quality is good, the most premium feeling OP yet. Still think the S10+ feels better though.

+ The blue looks terrific!

+ I love the screen, maybe not quite as bright as the Samsung but it looks amazing.

+ Super-fast. Do not care what the speed tests say it is faster than the S10 in pretty much every way

+ Oxygen OS is IMO the better than any other android skin other than maybe the Pixels

+ Best under screen FPS I have used. The touch area is larger and it is very quick and accurate. I do though still prefer a rear mounted sensor

+ Anecdotal but it feels like the mobile and wifi radios are faster than my Samsung, Pixel and iPhone. I hope this does not mean it is frying my bits with more radiation!

+ Battery has exceeded my expectations based on the reviews I read. Certainly no worse than my Exynos S10+ maybe slightly better even.

+ The front camera is a cool feature, I am not really a selfie guy though so it will likely get very little use.

Scrolling is smooth with the 90hz but maybe not always as smooth as expected, chrome for example can stutter slightly. I expect this is a compatibility issue that will be fixed over time
The OP gestures are better than Samsungs but still not perfect, having to swipe up for back is still awkward for me, IMO swiping in from the left or right edge works better. The app switcher when using the OP gestures is also a little finicky. I actually keep switching between using Fluid NG and the pill android pie option. I still think that iOS and the new Q gestures are the ones to beat.
The FPS does not work with the screen off
Double tap to wake does not always work, I probably have a 50% hit rate
Pop up camera makes face unlock a non-starter. Yes I know it works but it just does not occur to me to use it.
With the jump in price and ‘Pro’ moniker I think it is hard for OP to justify leaving out things like wireless charging or an IP rating this time around, especially has fast forward a few months and the S10+ and P30 pro will likely have dropped in price to be pretty close
The camera is disappointing, it is ok, but not great and I get the sense the hardware is better than the results so maybe it will improve? Tempted to try one of the many google cam apks but every time I have tried one of these they are always painfully slow and I also worry about malware.
Ambient display is IMO totally pointless. It only comes on when you pick up/wake the device so why not just show the full lock screen?

No doubt my view will change over time but so far it is a hit and I am really enjoying it. I do wonder though if OP can justify the price hikes much longer whilst continuing to omit flagship features. Yes it is still good value, just not the run-away bargain it once was!

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I still dont understand how chrome still stutters on every phone but Samsung internet browser doesn't. What's up with Chrome? Does anyone know?

Sad to know it stutters even with 90hz

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok despite my protestations regarding the lack of an always on display and wireless charging after selling on a few phones I could resist no more and purchased a blue 8gb/256gb model a few days ago, I guess with the combination of me being me and a new exciting flagship being available resistance was futile!

I was/am happy with my S10+ ceramic but a few things do grate day to day and the sense of getting short-changed outside the US with the Exynos chip also does p*** me off a little.

A few days in and for those that are interested, I won’t mention the AOD again as I have done that to death.

+ It is not as unwieldy as I was expecting and the curves on the rear make it quite comfortable. My S10 is ceramic so still quite heavy, those jumping from the glass S10 may notice it more. Is a little top-heavy though

+ Build quality is good, the most premium feeling OP yet. Still think the S10+ feels better though.

+ The blue looks terrific!

+ I love the screen, maybe not quite as bright as the Samsung but it looks amazing.

+ Super-fast. Do not care what the speed tests say it is faster than the S10 in pretty much every way

+ Oxygen OS is IMO the better than any other android skin other than maybe the Pixels

+ Best under screen FPS I have used. The touch area is larger and it is very quick and accurate. I do though still prefer a rear mounted sensor

+ Anecdotal but it feels like the mobile and wifi radios are faster than my Samsung, Pixel and iPhone. I hope this does not mean it is frying my bits with more radiation!

+ Battery has exceeded my expectations based on the reviews I read. Certainly no worse than my Exynos S10+ maybe slightly better even.

+ The front camera is a cool feature, I am not really a selfie guy though so it will likely get very little use.

Scrolling is smooth with the 90hz but maybe not always as smooth as expected, chrome for example can stutter slightly. I expect this is a compatibility issue that will be fixed over time
The OP gestures are better than Samsungs but still not perfect, having to swipe up for back is still awkward for me, IMO swiping in from the left or right edge works better. The app switcher when using the OP gestures is also a little finicky. I actually keep switching between using Fluid NG and the pill android pie option. I still think that iOS and the new Q gestures are the ones to beat.
The FPS does not work with the screen off
Double tap to wake does not always work, I probably have a 50% hit rate
Pop up camera makes face unlock a non-starter. Yes I know it works but it just does not occur to me to use it.
With the jump in price and ‘Pro’ moniker I think it is hard for OP to justify leaving out things like wireless charging or an IP rating this time around, especially has fast forward a few months and the S10+ and P30 pro will likely have dropped in price to be pretty close
The camera is disappointing, it is ok, but not great and I get the sense the hardware is better than the results so maybe it will improve? Tempted to try one of the many google cam apks but every time I have tried one of these they are always painfully slow and I also worry about malware.
Ambient display is IMO totally pointless. It only comes on when you pick up/wake the device so why not just show the full lock screen?

No doubt my view will change over time but so far it is a hit and I am really enjoying it. I do wonder though if OP can justify the price hikes much longer whilst continuing to omit flagship features. Yes it is still good value, just not the run-away bargain it once was!

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I wound up going the other way. I had the OP 7 Pro and went to the S10+. I had an XS Max before the OP and before that I had the Samsung line for awhile.

After using the S10 for a day, I do find myself missing the OP for the same reasons you stated above. In the end the weird quirks drove me nuts though. Like when I answered a call and sometimes it would go into speaker mode. Sometimes the screen would not turn on and had to be powered down. The AOD in some ways I did miss but, the wireless charging i missed the most. The warp charger I rarely used because the battery life was superb.

Also tech support for the OP was superb. They are responsive in every way and especially with updates. That part, I will probably miss the most about the One Plus.

Also one weird thing, album art on Spotify wouldn't show in my car with Spotify but with Google Play Music on the One Plus 7 Pro. Then when I got my S10+ it was the exact opposite, Spotify album art shows but the Google Play Music album art does not,

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I still dont understand how chrome still stutters on every phone but Samsung internet browser doesn't. What's up with Chrome? Does anyone know?

It is definitely odd -- especially since the Samsung browser runs on Chromium.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
2 weeks in and I am conflicted on the OP7 vs the S10+.

It is a beast and I have found it more of a burden to carry and use than my S10+, it also makes an iPhone Xs max look small! I have also missed the always on display, wireless charging a little but no big deal. I’d also say that outside the extra brightness of the Samsung makes it easier to see, again no biggy. I prefer pretty much everything else about the OP7 Pro though and one thing I have noticed (and have posted this over on the S10 forum) is how much better the radio performance is on the OP7, I think this may be more down to the S10+ being bad than the OP7 being really good but at my work for example the S10 clings to 1 bar of 4G and often drops to 3G whereas the OP7 is rock solid on 3 or 4 bars of 4G all day. I have also installed Gcam and it works really well.

I won’t comment too much on the FPS, both work ok with the OP being quicker and the S10 being maybe more convenient on account of not having to wake the screen first. I do though still prefer a rear mounted sensor like the Pixel which is IMO just a better, quicker and easier option.

Re the AOD I read that OP have said they are working on this but are still citing battery concerns, given how good and polished oxygen OS is I just do not get why OnePlus are finding it so hard to provide a proper always on display? Lots of other OEM’s have managed it, LG even managed it on an LCD screen. Anyway fingers crossed they are at least on the case now.

So overall it is a seriously good device, I do though wish it was just not quite so big.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

Some of Chrome's issues relate to the way it loads pages. You can tweak it to some extent in the settings. Plenty of info out there on how to do this.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

The game changer on this feature for me is the "swipe up" option for face unlock. So when I double tap or pick up the phone, it only presents me with the FPS. But if I swipe up, I get the PIN (in my case) option and the selfie-camera pops up. The unlock is as fast as it was on the 6T with the process being delayed only by the camera popping out. And it's worth the trade for not having a notch or hole. And after using it for a day, I really like it.

Most of the time, I use the FPS (which I find truly great) but when I can't get my thumb there, I just swipe up and the phone pretty close to immediately unlocks. If you haven't switched to swipe up on face unlock, I suggest you try it out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87