Building your own ROM

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
It's not a flashable zip file, it's an archive of the necessary files to build from source. ;)

Thanks, cooking a test build now, will report back.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
If you guy want to test it out...here is Kernel_3.2.zip with obj-y = board-swift-headset.o built in :-*

Here is the IHO build with Kernel 3.2. I have not noticed any difference in using headset. The button on the wired headset works the same way with Kernel 3.1. But I don't even use wired headset and might be missing the point here. Kernel 3.2 seems to be safe and sound on my phone. I noticed that interactive governor is added as an option besides InteractiveX. I have not included cifs module in this build (actually I forgot to add it). I will do next time. Do you guys think it is really needed?

I will not upload this build to Wiki or announce it in the IHO threads until we agree that this 3.2 build will be the next kernel. Please post here your opinions and testing results.

Bob, thanks so much.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Here is the IHO build with Kernel 3.2. I have not noticed any difference in using headset. The button on the wired headset works the same way with Kernel 3.1. But I don't even use wired headset and might be missing the point here. Kernel 3.2 seems to be safe and sound on my phone. I noticed that interactive governor is added as an option besides InteractiveX. I have not included cifs module in this build (actually I forgot to add it). I will do next time. Do you guys think it is really needed?

I will not upload this build to Wiki or announce it in the IHO threads until we agree that this 3.2 build will be the next kernel. Please post here your opinions and testing results.

Bob, thanks so much.

I think Kernel 3.2 with:

1) A2DP fix
2) Interactive governor back in
3) CIFS support

should be the new standard kernel. More options for the user is always good (unless it adversely affects performance, which I don't believe is the case here).

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I think Kernel 3.2 with:

1) A2DP fix
2) Interactive governor back in
3) CIFS support

should be the new standard kernel. More options for the user is always good (unless it adversely affects performance, which I don't believe is the case here).

A2DP fix is in the Android OS not in the kernel. Right?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I finally found my headset. I couldn't get the button to do anything. I tried pressing it while playing music, while placing a phone call, while on the phone dialer screen, while on the lockscreen, nothing happened. To be honest, I'm not sure what the button should do. ;)

Also, I couldn't hear anything through the headset while placing a phone call, but I need to go through the various settings and see if I had something set up wrong.

Regardless, thanks for sharing the great kernel!

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I finally found some time and got my build box up and going again. Thank you Jerry and Mrg666 for your patience.

By the way, I reworked Jerry's tutorial as well, modernized and streamlined it, I just need to verify it and clean it up a bit then I will put it in here. Maybe Jerry can tweak it a little and redo his on the first page.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I finally found my headset. I couldn't get the button to do anything. I tried pressing it while playing music, while placing a phone call, while on the phone dialer screen, while on the lockscreen, nothing happened. To be honest, I'm not sure what the button should do. ;)

Also, I couldn't hear anything through the headset while placing a phone call, but I need to go through the various settings and see if I had something set up wrong.

Regardless, thanks for sharing the great kernel!

I think the button is to answer an incoming call without touching the phone, if it's like my old treo.
haven't checked it out myself yet. if the button is being recognized, whether or not it's in the keymap, pressing it should show a gpio event in dmesg.

on another note:
I've googled the s*** out of this one and can't find any better answer than to pick apart and copy the htc device makefiles, and it's really bugging me.
PRODUCT_COPY_FILES (both += and :=) fails to copy everything I want moved from the sprint gb proprietary libs and binaries. there are a few things in there I'd like to build in that aren't included in blarf's makefiles, and when I try to just add files to the list they don't usually all get copied to the output.
is there a list (like INCLUDED_PACKAGES) or something where I need to add the filenames?

Last edited:

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
did you try:
Code:
PRODUCT_COPY_FILES := \
    vendor/lge/thunderc/proprietary/$(SUB_MODEL)/system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so:system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so \
    vendor/lge/thunderc/proprietary/$(SUB_MODEL)/system/lib/hw/gralloc.thunderc.so:system/lib/hw/gralloc.thunderc.so \
    vendor/lge/thunderc/proprietary/$(SUB_MODEL)/system/lib/hw/copybit.thunderc.so:system/lib/hw/copybit.thunderc.so \
    $(PRODUCT_COPY_FILES)
also what files are not making it to the phone?

Reactions: bigsupersquid
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
ah, I did not try the
$(PRODUCT_COPY_FILES)
at the end of the list.
I couldn't get it to copy one specific extra libril file over, no matter where I listed it, and I most recently had it fail to copy the blasted adreno200 gl files even though I didn't change that part of the makefile.
it's been a week or two since I touched it so I can't be too specific right now, but I'll jump back into it now and try your suggestion and answer the question better (or hopefully just say yay! that worked! instead of listing what won't copy.)
thanks for the suggestion!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
This fixes the multi touch in the 3.1 IHO kernel also. https://github.com/drewwalton192168...mmit/d7fb67de6c96dfc0e691ab778a62c29b4b53bbe1

Also trying to get QPST to read the phone while booted. I'll keep plugging away.

qpst doesn't talk to the iho kernels. I <think> blarf might have removed some of the weird lg code in the usb device stuff or something. you have to use a different kernel like xionia, aospCmod, or (lg-based .35 kernel with screen animations off, bah, for crash prevention) for any pst I've tested to be able to communicate
(edit: you probably knew that anyway... there is at least one specific kernel file which seems to handle usb device id's, it's different between the lg kernel and codeaurora version it seems to be descended from)

@Bob: I finally got all the *ril* files to copy over. it's when I try to add more than one at a time that I see compile errors or files missing in the output.
trying the closing statement you listed $(PRODUCT_COPY_FILES) works under some conditions but gives me some error about duplication other times. I only know things start to error when I try to add too many new files at once.
unfortunately, rild doesn't start at all when it's been substituted (doesn't show up in ps in terminal or adb shell, even though I'm using a mostly-stock lg .35 kernel with it.) I'm trying to figure out how to get some more verbose error messages about why ril-daemon's not being started when called by the init.rc to see where to go from here.

Last edited:

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
This fixes the multi touch in the 3.1 IHO kernel also. https://github.com/drewwalton192168...mmit/d7fb67de6c96dfc0e691ab778a62c29b4b53bbe1

Also trying to get QPST to read the phone while booted. I'll keep plugging away.
The multi-touch code didn't seem to work, I tested with Multitouch tester found here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.the511plus.MultiTouchTester&feature=search_result and it still only showed two touches.
The new kernel is posted in my public folder, if you wish to test it out. Let me know if you need the link to my folder.

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
It fixes when two fingers are working (pressed) and moving independently. The multi touch tester stayed on the correct finger instead of reversing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez