Building your own ROM

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmm so the iho repo won't sync for me and Jerry's syncs and builds fine but builds roms that 3g doesn't work.. Anyone know a fix?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
3G should work fine on builds from my repo, what does logcat show?

As for IHO, if you can't sync, try again later. Network issues at either end can cause errors syncing (unless you have a specific error message beyond http).

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
okay in that case.... all i've done is swap out the zimage and kernel modules i'm trying to build it with drews hydrokernel. i know they work on backside because i've used his flashable zip and am useing it on my own phone.

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
You might need more zvh/zvj files to work with IHO. This fixed some of the problems before using Drew's kernel with cm7. Main issue was with the camera and white screen previews. The files linked are from zvh, and i haven't updated it to zvj files. http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ptimus-s-thekraven-2-7-2012-zvd-only-153.html

You might look at using more proprietary files and the ril files from zv9. I can't remember what zefie did during the sprint changes from zv9 to zvc and zvd. I know he updated kernels with the baseband changes. Have they released the Virgin zv9 kernel sources yet?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
You might need more zvh/zvj files to work with IHO. This fixed some of the problems before using Drew's kernel with cm7. Main issue was with the camera and white screen previews. The files linked are from zvh, and i haven't updated it to zvj files. http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ptimus-s-thekraven-2-7-2012-zvd-only-153.html

You might look at using more proprietary files and the ril files from zv9. I can't remember what zefie did during the sprint changes from zv9 to zvc and zvd. I know he updated kernels with the baseband changes. Have they released the Virgin zv9 kernel sources yet?

thanks for your reply. the part that i dont understand is my 3g works useing drews flashable kernel over bobz kernel. i thought if i replaced the kernel modules and zimage with the ones from the zip it would be the same. and your gingerkernelfix works to fix the cam still so i was going to grab those libs for it as well

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
3G should work fine on builds from my repo, what does logcat show?

As for IHO, if you can't sync, try again later. Network issues at either end can cause errors syncing (unless you have a specific error message beyond http).

i just did a fresh sync and build and didnt change anything and still have no phone signal or 3g.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I have done the comparison; all of the proprietary files in the ZV9 update package from VM are the same with the files that are already in IHO repo. There is just a single file difference (I don't remember which right now) and it is not radio related. I suspect that the problem some users are reporting are due to the radio image itself. I don't have any problems with three ZV9-OVs with my usage pattern and personal configuration. I still use Bob's v3.7 kernel binaries that I had used with ZV4 and ZV5.

-----

All, I have updated my Ubuntu server that I also use for Android builds from 11.10-x64 to 12.04. There were no problems with Android builds. FYI, in case you were wondering.

Last edited:
Reactions: sellers86

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I have done the comparison; all of the proprietary files in the ZV9 update package from VM are the same with the files that are already in IHO repo. There is just a single file difference (I don't remember which right now) and it is not radio related. I suspect that the problem some users are reporting are due to the radio image itself. I don't have any problems with three ZV9-OVs with my usage pattern and personal configuration. I still use Bob's v3.7 kernel binaries that I had used with ZV4 and ZV5.

-----

All, I have updated my Ubuntu server that I also use for Android builds from 11.10-x64 to 12.04. There were no problems with Android builds. FYI, in case you were wondering.

I was thinking about updating but I wasn't sure if it broke building other than the master branch. Thanks mrg666

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
clodfelterac@myUBUNTUlaptop:~/android/system$ repo init -u git://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android.git -b gingerbread
No command 'repo' found, did you mean:
Command 'rep' from package 'rep' (universe)
Command 'repl' from package 'nmh' (universe)
Command 'repl' from package 'mailutils-mh' (universe)
repo: command not found

help please?.... :)

Do you have the repo command in your $PATH somewhere?

clodfelterac

Samurai Dev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i guess not... been following onlyunless' tutorials... updated java done... sdk done... eclipse done... following the directions on the first page and this is where im stuck... skipped dl of 64bit libs as im deving on 32... would appreciate any help... thanks for replying!... :)

32 you say?... yes, it works and im poor... lol... :)

Last edited:

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
i guess not... been following onlyunless' tutorials... updated java done... sdk done... eclipse done... following the directions on the first page and this is where im stuck... skipped dl of 64bit libs as im deving on 32... would appreciate any help... thanks for replying!... :)

32 you say?... yes, it works and im poor... lol... :)

Hey, don't insult 32bit. I dev on 32bit

At source.android.com they have a nice guide for setting up a build environment and getting the source. Go there to find repo. Usually you download repo, put it in ~/bin, make it executable, and continue. (I keep it in /usr/local/bin on one of my boxes.)

Reactions: clodfelterac

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
This stuff is just way too confusing and frustrating. I am in way over my head, thinking I'm on the right track and then hammered with more errors. Is there no...centralized starting point to learning ROM development? Is the process really just hunting and pecking until it works? If so, then I'd happily continue, but right now I am learning nothing by sending PMs and / or posting here every time an error comes up.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
This stuff is just way too confusing and frustrating. I am in way over my head, thinking I'm on the right track and then hammered with more errors. Is there no...centralized starting point to learning ROM development? Is the process really just hunting and pecking until it works? If so, then I'd happily continue, but right now I am learning nothing by sending PMs and / or posting here every time an error comes up.

Do you have a Google talk account? I'm sure someone here would gladly chat with you and help fix errors.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a Google talk account? I'm sure someone here would gladly chat with you and help fix errors.

I do...I think, one gets registered to you with GMail and such, right? Anyway, I don't want to sound unappreciative of any offers for help, but I guess I'm just looking for a full understanding of the code, i.e. if I see something on my phone that I want to change, where in the source do I find it? Why does there seem to be no centralized location for explanation of the Android source? Do I lack some sort of background that if I had I'd understand it all already?

If I get an error, I can usually just hit up Google, it's just frustrating, I'd like to be able to troubleshoot errors myself. When I think I'm doing everything right and then I run into errors a few seconds after running make, and since I was under the impression I was doing everything correctly, it makes me want to rip my hair out. Now that I've officially established myself as the emo half-dev, I'm just going to start from scratch. :cool:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Any thoughts on the below? I obviously need to specify the kernel that I added (in the folder hydrokernel, and just in case anyone else that knows / thekraven is reading this, this is for my own personal learning / use, i won't distribute your kernel as asked in your thread), what would the line I add look like in the androidboard.mk file? I'm assuming I'd edit the one in devices/lge/thunderc?

Code:
cole2kb@athena:~/android/thekraven$ lunch

You're building on Linux

Lunch menu... pick a combo:
     1. full-eng
     2. full_x86-eng
     3. vbox_x86-eng
     4. cm_thunderc-userdebug
     5. generic_olympus-userdebug
     6. generic_sunfire-userdebug
     7. cm_anzu-userdebug

Which would you like? [full-eng] 4
Looking for dependencies
Dependencies file not found, bailing out.

============================================
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
PLATFORM_VERSION=4.0.4
TARGET_PRODUCT=cm_thunderc
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=userdebug
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=armv6-vfp
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=IMM76D

cole2kb@athena:~/android/thekraven$ make bacon
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
PLATFORM_VERSION=4.0.4
TARGET_PRODUCT=cm_thunderc
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=userdebug
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=armv6-vfp
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=IMM76D
Checking build tools versions...
system/core/toolbox/Android.mk:98: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/lsof'
build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/lsof'
build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/mkshrc'
build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/mkshrc'
build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/ueventd.rc'
system/core/rootdir/Android.mk:49: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/ueventd.rc'
build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/init.rc'
system/core/rootdir/Android.mk:42: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/init.rc'
build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/hosts'
system/core/rootdir/Android.mk:31: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/hosts'
build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/dhcpcd'
build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/dhcpcd'
build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/egl/libGLES_android.so'
build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/egl/libGLES_android.so'
build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/e2fsck'
build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/e2fsck'
build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libmm-omxcore.so'
build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libmm-omxcore.so'
build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libOmxCore.so'
build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libOmxCore.so'
build/core/Makefile:66: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/default.prop'
build/core/Makefile:36: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/default.prop'
No private recovery resources for TARGET_DEVICE thunderc
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:37: ***************************************************************
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:38: *                                                             *
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:39: * No kernel source found, and no fallback prebuilt defined.   *
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:40: * Please make sure your device is properly configured to      *
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:41: * download the kernel repository to kernel/lge/thunderc
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:42: * and add the TARGET_KERNEL_CONFIG variable to AndroidBoard.mk*
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:43: *                                                             *
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:44: * As an alternative, define the TARGET_PREBUILT_KERNEL        *
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:45: * variable with the path to the prebuilt binary kernel image  *
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:46: * in your AndroidBoard.mk file                                *
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:47: *                                                             *
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:48: ***************************************************************
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:49: *** "NO KERNEL".  Stop.
cole2kb@athena:~/android/thekraven$ find -name AndroidBoard.mk
./build/target/board/emulator/AndroidBoard.mk
./build/target/board/generic/AndroidBoard.mk
./build/target/board/generic_armv5/AndroidBoard.mk
./build/target/board/vbox_x86/AndroidBoard.mk
./device/lge/thunderc/AndroidBoard.mk
./device/motorola/olympus/AndroidBoard.mk

EDIT -- Think I figured that one out, here is my AndroidBoard.mk

LOCAL_PATH := $(call my-dir)

include $(CLEAR_VARS)

ALL_PREBUILT += $(INSTALLED_KERNEL_TARGET)
TARGET_PREBUILT_KERNEL := device/lge/thunderc/kernels/hydrokernel

Now when I go to build it, here's what I get:

Notice file: device/lge/thunderc/apversion/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/lgapversion.txt
Notice file: bionic/linker/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/linker.txt
Notice file: bionic/libc/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/lib/libc_nomalloc.a.txt
Notice file: system/core/logcat/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/logcat.txt
Notice file: system/core/logwrapper/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/logwrapper.txt
Notice file: frameworks/base/media/libmedia/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/lib/libmedia_helper.a.txt
Notice file: external/mksh/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/mksh.txt
Notice file: external/mtpd/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/mtpd.txt
Notice file: system/core/netcfg/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/netcfg.txt
Notice file: external/bluetooth/bluez/compat/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/pand.txt
Notice file: external/ping/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/ping.txt
Notice file: external/ppp/pppd/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/pppd.txt
Notice file: external/ipsec-tools/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/racoon.txt
Notice file: external/ipsec-tools/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/lib/libipsec.a.txt
Notice file: hardware/ril/rild/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/radiooptions.txt
make: *** No rule to make target `out/target/product/thunderc/obj/lib/libril.so', needed by `out/target/product/thunderc/obj/EXECUTABLES/rild_intermediates/LINKED/rild'. Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Notice file: hardware/ril/rild/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/rild.txt
cole2kb@athena:~/android/thekraven$

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress