[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
^^
Sure, there are recommendations everywhere, but the question is if things like "480 min 768 max" make sense as recommendation when it is individual to each phone. Some readers will follow such recommendations, believing they are "good settings" and not understanding the nature of overclocking.

Two notches below stable is not a bad recommendation. But an even better recommendation is NOT to overclock at all until you've seen that your ROM runs stable.

Oh, and don't even get me started with the "480 uses the same juice as everything below" myth. It's same voltage, yes, but still higher draw. Try and run your phone at constant 480 vs 245 and see how long it runs. There's math and physics involved here.

That said, I run 480 min, 768 max myself. I drop max to 600 when I download apps or ROMs or perform backup etc, anything critical with data.

Sorry, rant over :D

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and don't even get me started with the "480 uses the same juice as everything below" myth. It's same voltage, yes, but still higher draw. Try and run your phone at constant 480 vs 245 and see how long it runs. There's math and physics involved here.

Sorry, rant over :D
480 is only meant as a starting point, and yes, high mhz means more amp draw, but it's minimal compared to the change from 480-600.

It's a starting point because starting too low just means you will spike, better to be a bit high and avoid the spike. People tend to want to start as low as possible, often too low (how many times have you seen people claim 122), by starting them at 480, it helps them understand how it works and is a much better method than just saying use the lowest.

I actually have a guide in the works that addresses this a bit more, it just needs to be finished.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
^^
Agreed, 480 is a good starting point - and makes sense for many. I updated my post with my own settings to show that.

I should add that your posts on the subject have been wonderfully factual and reasonable, LeslieAnn. Thank you for that.

I'm just not sure people always understand the risks involved, they think faster is always better, they don't realize what subtle errors can cause.

Edit: yeah, of course 122 and such is silly.

kalaniboy

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Great ROM - one request though: can we have the phone identify whether the plugged in headset has a mic or not (i.e. 4-part vs 3-part plug) and enable the phone's mic if the headset doesn't have a mic (i.e. 3-part plug)?

I'm on mrg666's latest iho build (2012-03-24). And can confirm that the mic works with headphones plugged in. Yay :) It surprised me when I did a voice search.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the issue we are trying to resolved is headset's without microphones. They do not allow the phone's mic to be used unless you press speaker phone, in which case the headset no longer works. So people cannot use various hand's free devices that do not have a built in mic, like car casette adaptors etc.

Reactions: a5pe4

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
hey y'all, somewhat of a noob here. i searched and couldn't find answers to these questions, so feel free to point me to the right place and delete this if i'm being a dummy. i'm running the following:

cyanogenmod-7.0.0-RC0-BACKside-IHO-KANG
eng.jerryscript.20120206.150516
Build GWK74

i've had many issues with a current screen freezing, often when the stock keyboard is open. i will push the power button, which turns off the display, but when i push it once more (i.e. there should be a lock screen), it is the same screen as when i turned off the display. nothing short of a battery pull will fix it, so i'm doing 10 battery pulls a day which is not sustainable, and this obviouisly makes it very difficult to receive calls. any tips? i've tried to update via the BacksideUpdater, but when I hit the download link the mediafire page is 404 dead.

Try updating to the latest build. There have been several fixes for screen freezes since the 0206 build, one of them may fix your issue. ;)

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
^^
Agreed, 480 is a good starting point - and makes sense for many. I updated my post with my own settings to show that.

I should add that your posts on the subject have been wonderfully factual and reasonable, LeslieAnn. Thank you for that.

I'm just not sure people always understand the risks involved, they think faster is always better, they don't realize what subtle errors can cause.

Edit: yeah, of course 122 and such is silly.

The tortoise wins the race so to speak :))
My bottom is set @ 320.
been great and see no need to increase the bottom end whatsoever.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
The tortoise wins the race so to speak :))
My bottom is set @ 320.
been great and see no need to increase the bottom end whatsoever.

Yes, whereas the Max setting depends entirely on each phone's individual tolerance (and temperature of your environment), the Min setting is determined by how you use your phone and how busy it is when idle.

If 320 or 245 is enough to keep background tasks running (music/streaming, email, Facebook sync etc), then you'll save battery at those settings. If it has to spike to Max all the time to finish those tasks, then you're better off with a higher Min setting. 480 is a good starting point, as LeslieAnn said, because above it voltage rises, causing exponential draw increase.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I run 122-864 with interactive governor, really responsive and great on battery life (3-4 days avg between charges). Interactive is simple and proven, it ramps up quickly to max to respond faster to user, then scales down lower when load is low.

Use an app like CPU Spy to do your own testing, the goal of a CPU governor is to spend as much time in the lowest frequency without sacrificing performance, which interactive does better than any other I've tested, including some of the more newer ones. Most new ones aren't well documented, claim to be better (but real tests are hard to find). Some of the fancy features like locking cpu when screen is off, is not really useful and can cause problems when apps need to do stuff with screen off. It theoretically only prevents a runnaway process from hogging cpu at 100% when screen is off by keeping it at a low one like 25%, when the real battery savings is from CPU going into deep idle state with screen off.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Whyzor, Interesting. I wouldn't have thought 122 was useful for anything. Do you play music on your phone, from SD card or streamed? I would expect Interactive to spike to Max much of the time because 122 is too low to keep the music playing.

Thanks again.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
^^^^:confused: what you guys are saying is exactly opposite what Leslie Ann is saying: that the governors don't work with our processor and 122 is not usable. I'm so :veryconfused:

Sent via the Postal Service

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
^^^^:confused: what you guys are saying is exactly opposite what Leslie Ann is saying: that the governors don't work with our processor and 122 is not usable. I'm so :veryconfused:
I don't think it conflicts with what LeslieAnn is saying: As I understand, she says to start with Min of 480 and work your way down.

As long as CPU spy shows that your phone stays at whatever you've chosen as your Min during most of its screen off time (when not in deep sleep), that means you're not spiking to Max unnecessarily. The lower you can go, the less battery you'll use - as long as the background tasks you're running don't force it to spike.

Again, CPU spy shows how much time is spent in each state. Most screen off time should be in deep sleep (unless you're playing music or something); otherwise you'll burn the battery very fast.

As far as I can see, the governors support all the speeds. I just never considered 122 useful since almost any little task will cause it to spike. With ondemand it will spike straight to Max. I believe the same is true for interactive (but responding even quicker than ondemand, hence its name). I've used smartassv2 which seems to use the entire register of speeds, with preference for 480 - which is indeed a "battery efficiency sweet spot" because above that amp draw increases faster.

Hope that clarifies some :)

Last edited:

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it conflicts with what LeslieAnn is saying: As I understand, she says to start with Min of 480 and work your way down.

As long as CPU spy shows that your phone stays at whatever you've chosen as your Min during most of its screen off time (when not in deep sleep), that means you're not spiking to Max unnecessarily. The lower you can go, the less battery you'll use - as long as the background tasks you're running don't force it to spike.

Again, CPU spy shows how much time is spent in each state. Most screen off time should be in deep sleep (unless you're playing music or something); otherwise you'll burn the battery very fast.

As far as I can see, the governors support all the speeds. I just never considered 122 useful since almost any little task will cause it to spike. With ondemand it will spike straight to Max. I believe the same is true for interactive (but responding even quicker than ondemand, hence its name). I've used smartassv2 which seems to use the entire register of speeds, with preference for 480 - which is indeed a "battery efficiency sweet spot" because above that amp draw increases faster.

Hope that clarifies some :)

Part of what you say here does indeed conflict with what LeslieAnn says. She says that our processor doesn't support 122MHz, but you seem to imply that it does.

So who's right here?

This space intentionally left blank.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It was around a year ago, but I believe it was Zefie (the guy who did all of the Xionia kernels, recoveries and a few roms), who determined that 122 was not actually working.

I'll take his word over most anyone regarding the processor speeds, he knows this and the Optimus S like the back of his hand.

Reactions: sellers86

Raul720

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody else's phone begin freezing, lagging, and music pausing randomly after enabling dsp manager? I'm running the latest backside. All I did with dsp manager was enable the equalizer. I'm also overclocked to 480/806 but its been stable since IHO was created. Might that be the problem?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The 3/24 build of mirage is working great. Very fast, and for the first time ever, not experiencing any rotation slowdowns after several days of uptime! I think disabling ICS rotations did the trick. I think ill stick with this build for a while.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
What can I do to get the phone to be speedy.....?

The New OV I have can't go a day over 600. Even at 600 it still reboots. No matter what I do, -Reboot Reboot Reboot Freeze-. :mad: