**LG Optimus V 2.2.2 Root, Recovery, Rom, + Bonus Tutorial**

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
flash_image gui (app) is easiest recovery installer, no terminal needed.
(i refuse to recommend rom manager due to its past issues)

xionia recovery not recommended for iho roms (backside included) it's old and was built for the optimus s.
bobzhome's iho recovery recommended instead. get it at iho wiki or blackscreen sticky here.
xionia is good to keep on your sd card as bootloop repellent, though.

getmesum

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Silly question......I went through step by step and everything went fine. However I cannot get past getting hung on the LG logo at power on. Even after holding down the 3 buttons and then choosing "Fix Boot Loop".
Any thoughts or ideas?

btw, this is a great tut. Thanks for taking the time to share it!

OptimusV2.2.2

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Has this been confirmed? This may sound stupid but i was wondering if a SD card reader is required to mount the card to the computer or if it can just be done over usb. I wanna make sure i dont brick my V :confused:

celestelugo0

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey, quick question is that if I just use the ginger break, will i have to create a recovery for it? Or can I just stop there?

Hi there,

No, it is not required that you install the recovery or custom rom. Although, It is recommended that you install the recovery and make a back up, its always better to be safe than sorry.

P.s. sorry I have not updated this thread, I've been super busy with Christmas. Thank you to everyone who has stopped and looked at this. Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone! :)

jayrw123

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to install this for the last few hours. When using the Terminal Emulator and typing command line, cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image, I keep getting " No such file or directory." I've gone through several times and reformatted my sim card and reinstalled everything like the write up says. Everytime I keep getting stuck on this command line. I know the flash file is installed on my sim card. I'm not too sure if I need to unzipp this flash file and reinstall it on my sim card. Any help would be appricated.

klausindc

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks very much for this tutorial. A few (good and bad) things I experienced:
Good: I did the upgrade on a 2.2.2 LG uptimus V and after the first reboot I expected the ' Your first boot will get stuck in a bootloop on the bootsplash screen but dont worry'. This did not happened, everything was good.
Bad: (just a small thing). I was amazed how well the battery last (again a good thing); however, after having the phone on for some time, the last row, just above the LG sign containing the 'phone bottom, the app bottom and the web bottom, disappeared. After a reboot it was back.

Thanks again!:D

Last edited:

raadsel

Banned
Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Am I missing something or do these two lines essentially have you do the same thing twice:
Xionia_CWMA_12518.6_VM_Recovery-signed (Unzip and place on root of sdcard, rename "recovery") --- [Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6)

Flash_image (unzip and place on root of sdcard) --- [Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6)"

You seemingly link to the same file, just once you say to rename it "recovery" and in the next line you copy it with its original filename.

EDIT: Looking, I now see you put the filename of the file you are supposed to get at the front of the two lines, rather than at the end and that is what confused me.

Last edited:

currentslice

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the awesome instructions on this. I do have a problem though. I followed everything in the instruction to the T and it went very smooth. Only problem is no matter how i try to activate with Virgin I can't. When i first boot the phone I do have an option to activate which does a call to Sprint?I can't get access to the numpad if i click on the home button to try to type anything in. Do I have to go back to stock in order to activate it first before loading CM7? If so what steps do I take. Appreciate it.
Thanks,

Raul720

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the awesome instructions on this. I do have a problem though. I followed everything in the instruction to the T and it went very smooth. Only problem is no matter how i try to activate with Virgin I can't. When i first boot the phone I do have an option to activate which does a call to Sprint?I can't get access to the numpad if i click on the home button to try to type anything in. Do I have to go back to stock in order to activate it first before loading CM7? If so what steps do I take. Appreciate it.
Thanks,

Yes, you need stock to activate. If you made a backup of stock you can easily restore it via your recovery and then activate your phone.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: celestelugo0

currentslice

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
ok so i booted into xiona and am in nandroid. I have restore or advanced restore? There is a file there with a date and time. I just restore that?
Thanks,

wbsrlnyt

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
This procedure worked for me with an LG Optimus V I bought on cyber Monday. I am a noob at this, and there's a couple of things that might be helpful to clarify to those who are new with this procedure:

1. Mounting the SD card is essentially plugging it into the USB port of an available computer you can work with. When you are able to transfer files from the computer to the card then it is mounted. To unmount from the computer after transferring fies, use the option in your OS to eject or safely remove and then unplug so it won't remount automatically.

2. In this procedure you have to create the folder CM7 on your SD card when it is mounted to your computer.

3. The root level of the SD card is the top level when its mounted to your computer, but it is located at /sdcard when accessing it in the phone.

4. Watch out for spaces when typing in the terminal. Also, don't type the numbers at the beginning of each line.

5. OI File Manager isn't the only file manager that you can use. I already had Astro so I used that. Also there are several different terminal emulators that will work. I used the most popular one.

So those are just a couple of tips. Thanks for this great tutorial!

daniel2910

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
i love you bro (no homo) i tried this before on my old lg optimus v and got it bricked the i got a new one and found this way and it worked great thank you so much!

riberet

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok, everything went successfull. Thanks you so much everybody.

Could someone please let us know how to update to the latest Backside-IHO ROM. This ROM is this forum top is the 11222011 ver. I believe there is an updated one that was released just a few days back in Dec. It has a lot of minor fixes and improvements.
Any help would be appreciated.
This link has the instruction:

[ROM][WIP] BACKside ROM (CM7) + Green Machine Theme - Android Forums

...but I am not confident. Could someone help me from here.

Thanks

boomer169

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
not sure if the op still visits this thread, but maybe someone else can answer. This how to didn't mention the need to find and install the windows drivers for optimus v. (it was mentioned as an optional step in this tutorial but recommended here

I like this tutorial as it's the most up to date. He posted as 12/2011 and the one I linked was 11/2011 so I'm eager to try this one. So is there no longer a need for these drivers to be installed? If I don't install what types of issues could I have? Thanks

240shep19

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
my phone is stuck on the lg boot logo. please someone help!!! i cant get into recovery =(

omg.. somehow after an hour of pressing power home n volume up i got into recovery. so if the same thiung happpens to you, dont give up pushin those buttons (=

Last edited:

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
my phone is stuck on the lg boot logo. please someone help!!! i cant get into recovery =(

omg.. somehow after an hour of pressing power home n volume up i got into recovery. so if the same thiung happpens to you, dont give up pushin those buttons (=

Just make sure your holding down volume down and home button before you start holding power

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

240shep19

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
thanks.. I got everything installed but i have the bootloop. no matter how much i click fix boot loop recovery or whatever. guess this kind of thing is not for me )=

reginaterrae

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I'm brand new here ... not tech savvy, but want to root anyway.

So, um, first question: I don't find this "Xionia_CWMA_12518.6_VM_Recovery-signed" on the linked thread. Is it something I would extract from "xionia_cwma_12518.6.rar"?

Which leads to question 2: how do you unzip a *rar file?? Windows doesn't know, and neither do I.

:) Thank you so much for being here!

(If this works, I might give Ubuntu another try on my laptop -- no telling where it will end!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez