**LG Optimus V 2.2.2 Root, Recovery, Rom, + Bonus Tutorial**

paulkruger

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
A "Usage:" response means it didn't work. There was something wrong in the syntax of you command line. Either you didn't type it exactly or there is something wrong with the procedure. For myself, by the time I found this guide I had already flashed a recovery using a different method, so I skipped this step.

I am pretty sure there is no response if the mount command works (in typical Unix fashion).
Can you let me know what the other method you used was? I typed very carefully the command provided twice with same result. As far as this method goes I am at a stand still. At least being rooted allowed me to uninstall some of the crap-ware. I still wish to upgrade to a newer version of Android so I can install Flash 11 to access more content.

ehoser

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Can you let me know what the other method you used was? I typed very carefully the command provided twice with same result. As far as this method goes I am at a stand still. At least being rooted allowed me to uninstall some of the crap-ware. I still wish to upgrade to a newer version of Android so I can install Flash 11 to access more content.

Edit: I actually don't recall. There are several version floating around. I used Gingersnap to root, then it was kind of a mishmash of commands to flash. I did most of it from adb on Linux.

You might want to try the mount command a few more times. Make sure you have spaces where they should be and no spaces where they shouldn't be. E.g. space after 'mount', space after '-o' (make sure it's lower case o, not zero), space after 'remount,rw', space after '-t', space after 'yaffs2', and space after '/dev/block/mtdblock5'.

Last edited:

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
If you have already downloaded the recovery you want to install, search the market for " flash image GUI". I have read some threads on people using this to install their recovery for the first time

Reactions: celestelugo0

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I did all the steps through Step 3, and after I typed "reboot recovery" and hit enter, it showed the LG logo, followed by a blank screen. Help!!

highhacker

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
STANDARD WARNING-- Flashing any custom ROM may semi-brick your phone!
Follow the installation instructions to the letter!
Always backup your apps, and do a backup in recovery before flashing!
This is a WIP (work in progress)
!

Every mod from this guide will void your warranty
. While an unscrupulous person will hide the fact that they modded their phone and request an in warranty exchange in the event of bricking, we know that your are too honest of a person to try such a thing. Realize that bricking and crying may result from any one of these mods. If you depend on your phone, consider the consequences of making your phone inoperable.

Hi everyone,

I have not seen a complete Tutorial out there for Root, Recovery, and installing a rom on the new 2.2.2 Android version Optimus V so....... Here it is--------------------------------------------------->

Special Thanks to: Liquidsword76, bigsupersquid, blarfiejandro, JerryScript, a guest, RevolutionRed , and mmarz.

STEP ONE

Insure you are attempting this on a 2.2.2 Optimus V. Do this by going to "Settings" "About Phone" and look for heading titled "Android Version" it should say 2.2.2

Next, download from the Android Market: OI File Manager and Terminal Emulator. Place these apps on your home screen. Now its time to un-mount your sdcard and mount it into your computer. Download the following:

GingerBreak-v1.20.Apk (Place all files in folder named "CM7" unless otherwise noted) --- GingerBreak-v1.20.apk - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Xionia_CWMA_12518.6_VM_Recovery-signed (Unzip and place on root of sdcard, rename "recovery") --- http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...covery-xionia-clockwork-cwma-v1-2518-6-a.html

Flash_image (unzip and place on root of sdcard) --- http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...covery-xionia-clockwork-cwma-v1-2518-6-a.html

BACKside-IHO-VM670-11222011 --- BACKside-IHO-VM670-11222011.zip

gapps-gb-20110828-signed --- Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki

GreenMachineTheme-11222011 --- (Optional) GreenMachineTheme-11222011.zip

Activate_Bootsound-signed --- (Optional) Activate_Bootsound-signed.zip

Blackmart Alpha 0.49_b92.Apk --- (App Market) Blackmart Alpha 0.49_b92.apk - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

KeyLights-0.2.Apk --- (Optional, Makes hard keys light up per notification) KeyLights-0.2.apk

STEP TWO: ROOT

Re-mount sdcard back into phone.

Make sure USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Open up OI File Manager and access your "CM7" folder and click on "GingerBreak". Follow prompts. Once inside GingerBreak app click "Root device". Your phone should now reboot, to make sure you successfully rooted your phone check your app drawer for SuperUser, If you have it your good. Another way to check is to go back into GingerBreak, if it gives you the option to un-root you know your good.

Congratulations, your Optimus V is now rooted! :D

STEP THREE: RECOVERY

Open up Terminal Emulator and type:

1. su

2. mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

3. cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

4. chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

5. mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

6. flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

7. reboot recovery

This sequence of commands will install, and reboot you into, the (hopefully) working recovery.

STEP FOUR: CM7+ Bonus

Note: use Volume rocker up and down to go up and down and the camera button to select

VERY IMPORANT , Do not do anything else before you make a backup of your current rom in case something bad happens. Go to "backup and restore" and click "backup". Next click on "wipe cache partition" click ok. Next click on "advanced" then click on "wipe dalvik cache". Now we need to format some partitions, click on "format boot" do the same for "system" "data" "cache".

Now for the fun, :) .

Click on "install zip from sdcard" and then click on "choose zip from sdcard". Now click on folder "CM7" and choose each one and apply them. Once finished go back to the main screen in the Xionia cwma and click "reboot system now". Your first boot will get stuck in a bootloop on the bootsplash screen but dont worry. Pull your battery and then enter Xionia cwma by holding the "home" button, the "volume up rocker" and the "power button". Hold all three buttons until you see the blue text then release. Click on "advanced" "Fix recovery boot loop". Your phone should restart and be runnimg CM7. The only diffrance between phones running 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 is that in 2.2.2 your boot-splash screen freezes, but it still loads.

If you wish to change the boot animation so your not "stuck" with the stuck animation visit this link --- [APP] Bootanimation Utility - 1.0.8 - xda-developers [APP] Bootanimation Utility - 2.0.5 - xda-developers

Congratulations, your Optimus V is now running CM7! :D

BONUS

Re-download OI File Manager from the Android Market and enter your folder "CM7". Click on "KeyLights" then install, :) . Now, be off and customize away. Thank you everyone!!!!!!!! :cool:

Photos

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.315635345117923.94296.100000143801816&type=1&l=6586ed4590
there are Major problems with this tutorial . Number one is there are two versions of optimus v . both have 2.2.2 . one has the novatek screen and the other has the hatichi . this is for what version /? they are different . I have yet to see a definitive easy guide for both 2.2.2 versions . if you flash the wrong one it will be hell on earth to get it back to normal .

Shady24

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
there are Major problems with this tutorial . Number one is there are two versions of optimus v . both have 2.2.2 . one has the novatek screen and the other has the hatichi . this is for what version /? they are different . I have yet to see a definitive easy guide for both 2.2.2 versions . if you flash the wrong one it will be hell on earth to get it back to normal .

I'm actually the op of this thread, just under a different screen name. Look at this link for info on finding out what screen you have. I'm pretty sure the phones I did this too were had the new screens but I'm not 100% sure. Ill do some research and update this. I've neglected this thread and I'm sorry, it should. Be updated in the next day or so. :)

Different gen phones? - Android Forums

terminal emulator: Code: dmesg | grep hitachi dmesg | grep novatek

if you get output with the novatek line, you have an old (first-gen) OV. if you get output with the hitachi line, you have a new (2nd-gen) OV.

the newer ones just have a different screen (and froyo 2.2.2 instead of 2.2.1, plus zv5 radio baseband instead of zv4.)

Julius910

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Im gonna try this befor I do wat are some bonus things I can do with phone once its rooted beside become hot spot. I want to root so I can speed up the grp card and cpu so I can play ps1 games smoother. Thnks

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I was able to flash recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ov.img to my OV, 2.2.2 w/ hitachi screen which I downloaded from https://sites.google.com/site/bobzhomeroms/vm670 using Flash_ImageGUI, and it does seem to work (shows up with backup/restore option), but have read I should flash VM670NH_recovery.img. Should I do this before attempting the rom flash (CM7.2RC1-VM670-BobZhome-030312)? I'm just concerned that the wrong recovery may not flash the rom correctly. I have some experience through my rooted and rom'd pandigital novel and toshiba thrive, but each device is so different.

If I do replace the recovery, can I flash the new recovery using the current recovery? I can use terminal or even try the Flash_ImageGUI app but was curious.

As far as gapps goes, I perform a regular recovery zip-flash from sd card using that file AFTER I have flashed the rom and checked that all is working? Is that a correct assumption?

I tried to send this via private message to BobZhome but haven't posted enough times.
Thanks so much for your help.

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
As long as you're currently able to boot into recovery, it won't hurt anything to flash a new ROM with the recovery you have installed. Just make a backup of your current OS before flashing. If you end up getting a bad flash, it's a simple matter to just go back into recovery and do a restore.

One thing to be aware of, NEVER flash a new recovery AND a new ROM at the same time. Always be sure that at least one of them is working. If you have a working recovery you can fix a bad ROM flash and, conversely, if your OS is intact but a botched recovery, you can fix that from within the OS.

You can flash a new recovery via your existing one assuming it's in a flashable .zip format. If it's an .img, flash image GUI should work fine.

As far as Gapps goes, you flash the ROM first, then flash Gapps. No need to reboot in between.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhea

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, dizzmaldan420. Duh, of course it has to be zip. I totally forgot about that. The recovery files are .img. You've given me what I need to take the plunge.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

EDIT: I flashed the newer recovery then bobzhome's latest+gapps. All appears to work well. I'm re-installing apps rather than TB restore. And, my Rii bluetooth keyboard with trackpad works! Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

clone_zeta

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tutorial, I'm a total noob and made it through first time around without (serious) issues. One thing I have discovered is that now my Home button doesn't work anymore - is that a know issue? I also can't get into Android Market. I really liked Swype, can I get it back?

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Weird that your home key isn't working. Is it possible that you just need to define it's default action somewhere in the settings? When you say you can't get into Android Market, what exactly do you mean? Is the Market program giving you a force close when you try to open it? Or is the Market program missing completely? There are keyboards on the Market that have Swype incorporated into them, once your Market issue is straightened out.

clone_zeta

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Weird that your home key isn't working. Is it possible that you just need to define it's default action somewhere in the settings? When you say you can't get into Android Market, what exactly do you mean? Is the Market program giving you a force close when you try to open it? Or is the Market program missing completely? There are keyboards on the Market that have Swype incorporated into them, once your Market issue is straightened out.
re: Home key - I tried to set it's action via Settings>CyanogenMod settings>Input and there is no default for short pressing the key, just a long press setting. Either way, Long or Short press of Home doesn't do anything.
re: Market - I am getting "Server Error" either on WiFi or 3G, using a previously working account

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. I don't know. Aside from re-wiping EVERYTHING (except sd card) and trying to flash the ROM again, or possibly a different ROM just for comparison's sake, I can't really think of how to fix this one.

clone_zeta

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... since this is the 1st time I've tried this - I don't really know how to get a different ROM or flash it - which step in the tutorial should I begin at?

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's a link to the newest build of BACKside IHO ROM if you want give this one a try: BACKside-IHO-VM670-03062012.zip. I'm assuming you already have the Gapps .zip.

The steps are simple. Boot into recovery, and do a backup if you want to. I, personally, wipe everything I can, which is data/factory reset, cache, Dalvik cache from the "advanced" section, in the "mounts" section format boot, system, cache, data. After wiping everything, click on "install zip from sd card" to flash the new ROM, followed by Gapps.

clone_zeta

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks DizzmalDan420 - now the previously mentioned problems re google market and home button is fixed! new problems though - I now can't view videos on my SD card take from my old phone. from within the gallery, photos can be viewed fine but the videos' thumbnails are greyed out and video cannot be played from either within Gallery or with the Video app. As well, now there is no prompt to mount my phone when I plug it into my computer via USB. It's not the cable since it used to work before and can still charge the phone. Any more suggestions for me?? thanks in advance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45