[How-to] Brick Your Optimus V

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
New to Rooting? Want to break your newly purchased Optimus?
Follow these steps and you'll be well on your way to having a lovely dead phone that can be used as a chew toy for your dog.

Step 1: Root your Phone (Theres numerous ways to do this and unfortunately theres not a huge risk of breaking your phone here)

Step 2: Download Clockwork ROM manager. This is one of THE best apps out there that is capable of singlehandedly breaking your phone... Muhahaha!!!:mad:

Step 3: (This is important) attempt to flash a recovery using ROM manager. If youre lucky, you will be unable to see the recovery when you try to boot into it because you have a new 2.2.2 optimus with a new screen, or better yet, ROM manager didnt flash anything. If you can see your recovery and it flashed correctly, you probably wont be able to break it. Sometimes trying to flash a rom and a recovery at the same time will also do a decent job of bricking your phone.

Step 4: Now that you are panicking because you booted into recovery and only have a black screen, the best possible thing to do is to pull the battery and boot the normal way. Then slowly find FACTORY RESET in the settings and click on it. This will effectively wipe the ROM off your phone and you will be unable to turn the phone on.

With the afore mentioned steps completed, you will have an entirely unusable phone. You will hopefully not be able to boot into recovery and hopefully your ROM will be completely wiped. Now you don't have to feel bad when you let your dog chew on it:D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All that said... I don't take any responsibility if you do break your phone, because all those steps are almost a surefire way to do it.

My Real advice to noobs: READ ALL THE OTHER THREADS THOROUGHLY!!!!:p

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
can we somehow get the OV files taken off Rom Manager? that would help sooo much with the newbs

I dont even have an OV anymore but i keep coming back here to help with people who screwed up with Rom Manager...

Last edited:

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Right, it's weird that there's been an increase in bricked phones and it all comes down to listening to some dude on youtube instead of reading up on rooting/flashing, searching forums (it would lead you here), and reading the steps like 10-20 times before doing anything (and reading it while going through the steps). When I first heard of rooting and flashing custom roms, the only thing I messed up on was flashing Harmonia 1.7, I didn't flash the Pickasticks Kernel to make it work for my screen.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Right, it's weird that there's been an increase in bricked phones and it all comes down to listening to some dude on youtube instead of reading up on rooting/flashing, searching forums (it would lead you here), and reading the steps like 10-20 times before doing anything (and reading it while going through the steps). When I first heard of rooting and flashing custom roms, the only thing I messed up on was flashing Harmonia 1.7, I didn't flash the Pickasticks Kernel to make it work for my screen.

I find it very strange that more and more often do I see friends and family go to youtube to look up stuff from the internet more than google.

and they will still use the term "I need to google something" or stuff like that, but head right on over to youtube.....

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
can we somehow get the OV files taken off Rom Manager? that would help sooo much with the newbs

I dont even have an OV anymore but i keep coming back here to help with people who screwed up with Rom Manager...

I just emailed the dev that made rom manager and asked him to either fix the problem or make the app not work at all for the Optimus so that newbs would not be able to find it and break their phones.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I thaught it was how to fix a bricked phone, that was just worded funny. Nice write up!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just emailed the dev that made rom manager and asked him to either fix the problem or make the app not work at all for the Optimus so that newbs would not be able to find it and break their phones.

I can tell you the response.

Those are the Sprint and Virgin Mobile variants of the P500. We don't support either, so if you have CWM for them it doesn't come from our repos...

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if we all flood the Dev with emails, he'll listen.
I can't help grinning at your idealistic innocence here.

Look, I don't like to talk down on anyone in the Android community, but the dev (Koush) for this app seems like kind of a... [rhymes with Koush].

He purports his app to be universal solution for ROM-ing, without any mention of supported or unsupported devices:
Quote from ROM Manager Android Market Page
ROM Manager is THE MUST HAVE APP for any Android root user. (Over 3 million downloads and counting!)

Even though it bricks any number of devices and coalitions of concerned users and devs have sent him numerous e-mails, facebook messages, and comments... he does not respond or care. Further, there have been instances of him including the free work of other developers in his paid application without their consent.

The way this guy handles himself speaks volumes.

Last edited:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't help grinning at your idealistic innocence here.

Look, I don't like to talk down on anyone in the Android community, but the dev (Koush) for this app seems like kind of a... [rhymes with Koush].

He purports his app to be universal solution for ROM-ing, without any mention of supported or unsupported devices:
Quote from ROM Manager Android Market Page
ROM Manager is THE MUST HAVE APP for any Android root user. (Over 3 million downloads and counting!)

Even though it bricks any number of devices and coalitions of concerned users and devs have sent him numerous e-mails, facebook messages, and comments... he does not respond or care. Further, there have been instances of him including the free work of other developers in his paid application without their consent.

The way this guy handles himself speaks volumes.

I can't help myself!! Idealism is what gets things done one the world!!! ;)

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
Most forums have a sticky, in bold, at the top saying ROM manager will brick your device. I used to use it because it was the quickest and easiest way to root and install CWM but don't dare to install ROMs using it. I've bricked and unbricked my phone more times than I could count, not very fun.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Most forums have a sticky, in bold, at the top saying ROM manager will brick your device. I used to use it because it was the quickest and easiest way to root and install CWM but don't dare to install ROMs using it. I've bricked and unbricked my phone more times than I could count, not very fun.

Ours doesn't so I made this guide in protest.

Badboytoast

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh no I brick my phone following this guide, :(trying to root,flash recovery, once I stall rom manager I selected optimus c!!! Lol just playing. Hopefully NO ONE WILL FALLOW this brick guide ;)