Optimus V ROM Question

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
So, my Optimus V is Rooted on Stock ROM, running a custom kernel (pica07remix), and I use the bobzhome recovery. So, when I flashed the custom kernel my accelerometer stopped working, so I plan to install a new ROM with backed up data to fix this.
When I decided on the BACKside ROM, I saw that I should not restore system apps.
Why not?
And also, what's going to happen to my music, calendar, texts, etc.? Can I keep the data in apps like those after I install the BACKside ROM? D:
Thanks in advance.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So, my Optimus V is Rooted on Stock ROM, running a custom kernel (pica07remix), and I use the bobzhome recovery. So, when I flashed the custom kernel my accelerometer stopped working, so I plan to install a new ROM with backed up data to fix this.
When I decided on the BACKside ROM, I saw that I should not restore system apps.
Why not?
And also, what's going to happen to my music, calendar, texts, etc.? Can I keep the data in apps like those after I install the BACKside ROM? D:
Thanks in advance.

To backup the data on your apps, use Titanium Backup from the market. Should help a lot.

To backup texts, you're going to have to find a reliable app from the market.

Music will stay, as it is placed on your SDcard. Calendar events are saved to your Google account, so as long as you log in on your new ROM, it will go with it.

You shouldn't restore system apps because first of all, you're on froyo. Froyo system apps won't work on Gingerbread (BACKside base).

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
So what's going to happen to apps like Poynt, WHERE, the Virgin Mobile apps, Google Talk?
Gallery photos? And what "reliable app" can I use to backup texts?
I'm quite worried.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So what's going to happen to apps like Poynt, WHERE, the Virgin Mobile apps, Google Talk?
Gallery photos? And what "reliable app" can I use to backup texts?
I'm quite worried.

VM apps will be gone. No longer. Google Talk you can get from the market in the new build
Gallery photos will be saved on the sdcard as well, so that will go in the new build.
I haven't ever backed up my SMS. So I don't know what app to use.
But remember, if you don't like it, then you can always make a backup and restore it.

arnold1997

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I think u can backup virgin mobile apps and only virgin mobile. Dont backup google talk or gallery etc. Because all are included in roms

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

demoport

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Virgin Mobile apps gone? D:
There's seriously no way to keep them?

If you need the Virgin Mobile apps, why are you installing a different kernel that ruins your accelerometer? Why not use stock and remove bloatware with Titanium Backup since you already have root access?

arnold1997

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I think u can backup virgin mobile apps and only virgin mobile. Dont backup google talk or gallery etc. Because all are included in roms

But listen to gannon he knows more

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Why would you want to keep the stock VM apps any-ways, there are the reason that the stock V as such poor battery life.

To bakup text both SMS and MMS Mybackup Root from the Market works and you can backup the apps that you have already downloaded and there data as well. But do not backup system settings.

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
So, would it be okay to restore Google Talk from the backup after installing the ROM??
Also, where can I find a gapps zip for my Optimus V? I would like to find one I can use with the bobzhome recovery.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Almost every rom comes with Google Talk.

Being your first rom, I would recommend installing Harmonai 1.x, it will ease you into things as it is close to stock in many ways. It includes Gallery, Talk, and Weather/news widget and the activation app.

For the other Virgin apps, you can download them from the market, but you only want to download and install things you actually use.

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
As a "grandfathered" user, and a droid, I can tell you that all the virgin mobile apps you're worried about can be replaced from Google Play. The My Account app SUCKS! but..a really nice app replaces it called Minutes Checker for Virgin Mobile. (downloaded from Google Play). it will give you a popup when you get a call telling how many minutes you have left on your account balance. Nice! VM also have a mobile formatted website where you can access all the rest of your info. Just bookmark the site in your browser, and save memory space for your good stuff. You can download VMLive from Google Play as well. The Downloads app? forget about it, You are a grown up DROID now. There are better downloads to be had out there! Really! I have been running Backside IHO since Nov. 2011 and love it, but the sky is the limit!
P.S>
Oh, don't forget to read thru LeslieAnn's helpful guides thoroughly before you start uninstalling or flashing.( listed under Optimus V Rooting,Roms & Hacks). I wish those guides had been there when I first got my old OV. They're a treasure trove of info. They should be required reading for all new OV owners!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89