What is the Optimus V like the most ROMmed Virgin Mobile Phone?

Rayz321

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious why are their so many roms for the Optimus v but like barely any for the triumph or optimus Elite and other phones?

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious why are their so many roms for the Optimus v but like barely any for the triumph or optimus Elite and other phones?

Optimus v was a very budget phone and was picked up by a lot of people. The elite doesn't have any recoveries, which is why it doesn't have a rom.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: topdawg661

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: What is the Optimus V like the most ROMmed Virgin Mobile Phon

The OV was an inexpensive, but mid level Android phone when released. At the time, no other carrier was even close to the $25 plan, especially with a decent Android phone that could be hacked.

Not only that, but it was being based on the Optimus S, which was popular as well and had a large following and dev community. The Ov was something quite new to pre-paid and a ton of people flocked to it, including a few devs, but for the most part the users became devs drawing on Optimus S knowledge.

Combined with being a cheap, tough, easily modified, and actually a quite good phone, it developed a small but formidable dev community. The Triumph which should have drawn many away was plagued with issues. The Slider was not only a lot more expensive, but also nearly the same phone with a keyboard (which are passe'), and the Wildfire was difficult to hack. This left the OV as the best option for those wanting a nice Android and especially the main phone for those wanting to play. This lack of alternatives is what helped keep the phone going and growing into what it is today. As it aged, more people with more knowledge became involved, our devs got better. Meanwhile the phone kept chugging along.

As for the Elite...
Not only is it still new, but LG made some changes that are making it very difficult to create a recovery for it. Once that happens roms will begin popping up. There is already a Harmonia rom partially ready to go, and I plan to release an Aeneas rom for it as well. I just need a bit more information and we need a recovery.

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
^This is so very true. The best part is that due to the optimus V, phones such as the optimus m and optimus c were dev'd for by mostly optimus v devs. The phones are so similar that it is very simple for anyone who knows how to build a rom for the optimus v, for the optimus m/c/s/u as well. There are a lot of hardware differences between the m and v, but LG released its sources for the optimus m rom and kernel and recovery, so it was easy to change a few files and bam a new rom for the m.

Now you all may also know that optimus V firmware was borked up and no one could get it to flash with anything. Whether this was on purpose to keep people from unbricking their phones so they could buy new one's so VM could make more money or not, I have fixed it :D any body who bricks their optimus V will now be able to unbrick it, which will allow the dev pool for this phone to last a lot longer.....yes this was sent from my optimus m, because currently my optimus v is on stock with no apps because of me following my own unbrick guide making sure it works. Well it works.
The next tthing I'm going to start working on is fixing the ZV4 firmware to work with KP500

Sent from my Optimus M

Reactions: Badboytoast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa