Gapps / Camera Workaround for BobZhome CM10

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
So yeah hi. Before I start, here's what I'm currently using:
*IHO BACKside ROM (the exact one featured in the "simplified root rom and recovery" sticky post.
*Android Version 2.3.7
*IHO BACKside Recovery (the one with green text and replaces the camera button with the home button).
*Gapps that were with the ROM

Here's my question. To be blunt, I want to know what happens when I flash a gapps file that is meant for Android 4+ with this rom.

To elaborate, let me explain. I've been running this ROM since I first rooted. I love it to death and have yet to find a bug. However, I want to run apps that would normally be compatible with Android 4+. I've tried to use every single ROM on here that was 4+, but always find something wrong with it that I need working. Most compatible was bobzhome's cm10 but the camera doesn't work right (colorful lines, static bars, slowness, darkness, auto poster effect, etc) as well as the ROM itself requiring a cpu tweak of 600 max (I'm used to 865).

I researched gapps and what it does since I had no idea why it was necessary. If that bobzhome rom had a working camera (or a workaround that wasn't SLOW), I'd be glad to stick with that ROM. Don't need camcorder, just camera. Anyway I read online that gapps from later android versions can sometimes work on roms with old android versions which (I think) would allow the use of (for example) Skype Video Calls.

You know what? Screw it, does anybody know a working workaround for the camera on bobzhome's cm10?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Try some of theKraven's jb roms for the optimus S. They all have patches for the ov. The PAC rom is great, and slim bean and jbc are worth a look too.

It couldn't hurt to try nwer gapps with an older rom. Just make sure you make a nandroid first.

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Try some of theKraven's jb roms for the optimus S. They all have patches for the ov. The PAC rom is great, and slim bean and jbc are worth a look too.

It couldn't hurt to try nwer gapps with an older rom. Just make sure you make a nandroid first.

I always backup before I flash lol. Mainly the big massive bug with other jb and ics roms are the charging (lack thereof). It doesn't charge with a wall charger. I'm not even sure if I already tried those roms yet because I've tried a complete crapload of roms, because of that I've become pretty pro at the rom installation process. I'll give those a try. Do you know if Titanium Backup Pro will enable me to bring over all my apps and data if virtually ALL my apps are on sd-ext and linked via Link2SD?

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I always backup before I flash lol. Mainly the big massive bug with other jb and ics roms are the charging (lack thereof). It doesn't charge with a wall charger. I'm not even sure if I already tried those roms yet because I've tried a complete crapload of roms, because of that I've become pretty pro at the rom installation process. I'll give those a try. Do you know if Titanium Backup Pro will enable me to bring over all my apps and data if virtually ALL my apps are on sd-ext and linked via Link2SD?

Nevermind, found the answer to mixing Titanium Backup Pro with Link2SD. Just have to restore my apps in segments, then link the apps, then restore another segment, instead of restoring all at once.

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

One question. Will installing gapps without reinstalling my current ROM mess my apps up? Will anything mess up? If something goes wrong will a nandroid backup restore everything including the old gapps?

_alexkta

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
no just wipe dalvik cache and cache and nothing should go wrong and yea if something does go wrong a nandroid had you covered, and boot up time will be longer when you wipe the cache

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
no just wipe dalvik cache and cache and nothing should go wrong and yea if something does go wrong a nandroid had you covered, and boot up time will be longer when you wipe the cache

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Eh just fixing to get bobzhome's cm10 and say screw the camera. His rom is that good. Can't pass it up just hope that he fixes the camera bug.

_alexkta

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure camera doesn't work, last time I checked it did, probably a bad download

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure camera doesn't work, last time I checked it did, probably a bad download

It opens but it's super gritty and has colors just everywhere and it's too dark for toleration. I define working as "no flaw or annoyance". Just tried flashing it a second time and this time it gave me a status 7 "set_perm: some changes failed" gonna redownload and try again.

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
UGH!!! Battery won't flippin charge now. I've reported this issue over and over again to devs but nobody will listen so far or try to fix it within the rom.

After absolutely tons of research, I know that people seem to think that the battery not charging on an Android 4+ rom isn't a rom issue, that the problem is the cord or phone.

Sorry, but it is a rom issue! I've done extensive testing for months now and figured out that something (a file, most likely related to gapps) is preventing the battery to receive power anywhere during and after the boot logo. It sounds alien, but I need to know what that file is and how to fix it. That's the only thing holding me back from android 4+ is the lack of battery.

Anyway, back on the IHO BACKside ROM and I guess I'm stuck here until a dev figures it out.

If I were making roms, I'd be smart and made sure the phone charged with the rom before doing anything else. I mean come on, it's ESSENTIAL.

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I never had the charging issue, so i can't help you there. Try the PAC ROM. It has more fixes, in general, and if it got fixed in cm10.1, it will be fixed in the PAC ROM.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd also recommend giving pac rom a try. I've never experienced the charging bug and neither have the rom devs as far as I know. That's the problem...... It's really hard to fix something that's not a problem for them and cannot easily be replicated.

Tapatalk'n it PAC-Rom style! Android 4.2.2 on my VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd also recommend giving pac rom a try. I've never experienced the charging bug and neither have the rom devs as far as I know. That's the problem...... It's really hard to fix something that's not a problem for them and cannot easily be replicated.

Tapatalk'n it PAC-Rom style! Android 4.2.2 on my VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

I never had the charging issue, so i can't help you there. Try the PAC ROM. It has more fixes, in general, and if it got fixed in cm10.1, it will be fixed in the PAC ROM.

Hmm okay. Sorry if I sounded pretty ticked off last night. No cigarettes and all.

EDIT 1: As expected, it's meant for the ls670 not vm670. I'd like to know how you flashed yours? Gonna try looking that post over and combing it.

EDIT 2: Found virginfix. Looks like it replaces files in the original pac rom zip. Gonna try replacing then flashing.

Last edited:

_alexkta

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Also what recovery are you using but I remember I had the same charging issue and I changed recovery then that fixed it

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Also what recovery are you using but I remember I had the same charging issue and I changed recovery then that fixed it

First post. IHO BACKside Recovery with green text. Not changing it that's my favorite recovery ever lol. Anyway tried replacing the files individually (to prevent losing files in the original that might need to be there) and it went straight from "installing update" to "installation aborted" without a message. Gonna try replacing the folders in whole regardless of lost files to the original. Report back shortly. Tired of restoring my nandroid just to reply here lol.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
UGH!!! Battery won't flippin charge now. I've reported this issue over and over again to devs but nobody will listen so far or try to fix it within the rom.

After absolutely tons of research, I know that people seem to think that the battery not charging on an Android 4+ rom isn't a rom issue, that the problem is the cord or phone.

Sorry, but it is a rom issue! I've done extensive testing for months now and figured out that something (a file, most likely related to gapps) is preventing the battery to receive power anywhere during and after the boot logo. It sounds alien, but I need to know what that file is and how to fix it. That's the only thing holding me back from android 4+ is the lack of battery.

Anyway, back on the IHO BACKside ROM and I guess I'm stuck here until a dev figures it out.

If I were making roms, I'd be smart and made sure the phone charged with the rom before doing anything else. I mean come on, it's ESSENTIAL.

The reason we won't "listen" (we do) is because there are a very select few that experience this issue, the devs obviously dont. You think they would release a ROM that doesn't charge? The people that could fix it, are the people its not happening to. Its really difficult to fix something we can't recreate. Honestly, it probably isn't a rom issue anyways.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
First post. IHO BACKside Recovery with green text. Not changing it that's my favorite recovery ever lol. Anyway tried replacing the files individually (to prevent losing files in the original that might need to be there) and it went straight from "installing update" to "installation aborted" without a message. Gonna try replacing the folders in whole regardless of lost files to the original. Report back shortly. Tired of restoring my nandroid just to reply here lol.

I'm pretty sure you are supposed to flash the virgin fix. Don't replace anything.

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you are supposed to flash the virgin fix. Don't replace anything.

The virgin fix is extremely small. If I flashed it, then flashed the rom it would just tell me the same thing and abort it because the build.prop file clearly states it's for a different device.

Think about it. Analogy time! If you create a folder on your computer named 1, and it contains file1.exe in it, then overwrite it with another folder called 1, that contains file2.exe, what's the final result? File1.exe no longer exists.

Meaning to say, the Virgin fix would be irrelevant because I'd be overwriting it with the original rom meant for ls670. It would tell me the original message.

I could be wrong by the way. ****, for all I know, when you're in recovery in the installation process, it could be replacing what needs to be replaced for me. I doubt it though. That would require it to "remember" files then replace them on the second flash.

Oh and whoever replied to my "mean comment", I'd LOVE to offer up my phone for testing to devs. I have currently 53 people who are as desperate as me to find out the charging glitch, and have it fixed. That way, devs couldn't say it doesn't happen to them because I gave them a phone that does.

Gotta redownload the rom now that I've lost files in it. Report back shortly.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Dev work isn't really that easy. To flash Pac-rom you need to flash them in the right order. If you flashed the virgin fix first it won't help anything.

1. Flash the rom
2. Flash gapps
3. Flash virgin fix
4. Flash cronmod's int2ext patch

Without int2ext it won't have enough room for apps. do you have an ext partition?

Last edited: